Movies & TV shows which disappoint the Veg*n.....

JW

just watched Napolean Dynamite again and I was somewhat saddened & disappointed by a few scenes.

* copious amounts of bloody steak eating

* the implied shooting of a cow

* Napolean working at a chicken farm

I like the movie very much, but I can't help feeling a bit down after seeing scenes like that.

anyone else have the same sort of experiences?

Amazing Race last week had a challenge where the teams had to find a merchant in a local market (I think it was Mauritius)

Stall after stall was filled with raw meat.

The contestants then had to eat a large plate of cow lips to complete their task.

Is there no end to these shows? Or am I perhaps forgetting how widespread and mainstream the slaughtering of animals for human consumption really is?

I wonder if the networks would listen to our concerns or if they would write us off as tree hugging loonies?

Heya JW!

I understand being saddened but why were you disappointed? Yes, "widespread and mainstream" is a good description of the slaughtering of animals for humans to eat, etc... I see no harm in contacting the appropriate folks & expressing your concerns & who knows - it just might help!

Yup.... I was disappointed!

Disappointed that a show which I generally enjoy watching showed scenes which diminished my enjoyment of it.

Disappointed in the human species for it's continued abuse and slaughter of animals.

I stand by my feelings of disappointment!

Heya JW!

I understand being saddened but why were you disappointed? Yes, "widespread and mainstream" is a good description of the slaughtering of animals for humans to eat, etc... I see no harm in contacting the appropriate folks & expressing your concerns & who knows - it just might help!

just watched Napolean Dynamite again and I was somewhat saddened & disappointed by a few scenes.

* copious amounts of bloody steak eating

* the implied shooting of a cow

* Napolean working at a chicken farm

I like the movie very much, but I can't help feeling a bit down after seeing scenes like that.

anyone else have the same sort of experiences?

Yeah.. I heard Uncle Rigo is a veggeterian and on one of the scenes you can see him spitting out the meat.

Yeah.. I heard Uncle Rigo is a veggeterian and on one of the scenes you can see him spitting out the meat.

I heard the same thing. Here's a link: http://www.slipups.com/items/27571.html

Personally, I like how the chicken farm and cow shooting scenes were done in Napoleon Dynamite. It was presented without any agenda, it was simply "here's reality, draw your own conclusions" and the reality sucked. That makes people think; it makes them question their beliefs. It was surely too graphic to ignore.

It's refreshing to see a dose of reality in the mainstream, instead of farm animals being depicted as happy little creatures who spend their days singing, dancing in chorus lines, and running around freely in the sunshine. We know that's not what life is really like for them, why candy-coat it? Why protect people from having to make the mental connection between their steak and a dead cow?

So, as far as presenting a powerful message, I think those scenes were fantastic. As far as me keeping my tofu in my stomach instead of spewing it everywhere, it didn't score quite so high with me.

random trivia: An omnivore I watched Napoleon Dynamite with couldn't stand to eat eggs anymore, after the egg-drinking scene. Months later, I think he's now evolved all the way to vegetarian.

Good points Michelle!

You definitely can look at it that way.

It still grosses me out though

My main point is that these scenes diminish the entertainment value for me.

Re: Uncle Rigo

That must have been extremely difficult having to put that rare steak in his mouth. Not sure I could have done it but I'm sure like the rest of us he's got bills to pay.

I actually watched this movie before I went veg. I remember having thoughts on going veg and when I watch the part of the cow i thought was really sad and made me think even more. The scene of the chickens was really impressive how much chickens they had. I had never seen anything like it, I remember even my ex girlfriend saying that's animal cruelty. I hope a comedy had an impact on people.

I haven;t seen any of these shows.

Yeah.. I heard Uncle Rigo is a vegetarian and on one of the scenes you can see him spitting out the meat.

Spitting the flesh out seems pretty arbitrary to me, from a vegetarian perspective....

For comparison, is it considered to be a form of celibacy if two pople are shagging away, but then the guy pulls out before he ejaculates ?

Is it considered to be cannibalism if i chew on some human fingers... but then spit them out afterwards instead of swallowing them ?

Good points Michelle!

That must have been extremely difficult having to put that rare steak in his mouth. Not sure I could have done it but I'm sure like the rest of us he's got bills to pay.

the he should get a another job. He did not have to take that role.

I feel the same way, but who knows? maybe he WAS that desperate

Good points Michelle!

the he should get a another job. He did not have to take that role.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, he is the son of writer, director, producer, and Emmy-winner Tom Gries, he is a writer actor and director himself who has been in several big-name productions.... so I feel very sceptical to consider that both of them fell on such desperately hard times all of a sudden that it was a case of (for example) begging in the street and living in a cardboard box.... or chewing up a large quantity of meat.

Check out his filmography -

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0340973/filmotype

It doesn't really correlate with an impression of him involving him being on the point of poverty, I think.

It seems far more likely that he just didn't care about chewing it, and was fine with that as long as he got to spit it out afterwards.

Some sources say he's vegetarian, while others reckon that he doesn;t drink milk but does sometimes eat flesh. For example, the movie database i just linked to says that he "Does not drink milk and eats very little red meat."

If he's vegetarian he probably figured that chewing is not in itself technically eating.... and if he isn;t then it would be no big deal to chew some flesh for a while.... and perhaps he just refused to eat it because he wants to restrict his intake : P it was , from what i hear, quite a lot of flesh he had to chew up after all because they did a lot of takes, and i imagine that even a flesh enthusiast is likely to feel rather unwell if they had eaten all of it.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/Astropussycat/88m.jpg ~I chew meat for cash

edit - edited to fix broken image, then edited again to say why i had edited it, hehe

Edited by Astrocat

I wouldn't villify the guy just because of what you read on that amateurish website. As a veg actor, I would assume that they would have a real steak on his plate but the actual pieces he was putting in his mouth were made of soy. And most actors don't swalllow the food they eat when filming, because of the many takes and what not, so they spit it out, and that would explain the spitting into his hand. It doesn't make sence that they would force him to chew real meat on camera, just for him to spit it out, when they could use soy and have it appear just as real on screen. If the actor CHOSE to chew real meat and then spit it out, because it would help him in his role then that is his choice, and we shouldn't judge him as an artist. Maybe he finds eating meat barbarric, and because Rico is a brute he wanted to know what it felt like to chew flesh. But there is no way in hell he did it for cash! Remember this is the world of film in the U.S.A., if your a veg, they are not going to make you do anything you are not comfortable with doing. Once you have the part, you have the power to say no and a very strong union protecting your rights as well. I'm sure this "website" just put that out there because people would find that little tidbit more interesting than the truth...

There's no logical reason to assume he was eating soya, from what i can tell.

Who ever said he was forced to do anything ?

As i said, there's no evidence that he was strongly against chewing some meat, or was uncomfortable with doing so, or anything.

It may have simply gone :

"Do you want this job ? It involves eating meat though, it will pay well but i can give it to someone else if you like."

"Well i'm vegetarian so i won;t eat it, I'm cool with chewing it though if i can spit it out, that doesn;t bother me"

" I wouldn't want to force you to do anything...."

"No no man, it's cool. I'm just vegetarian for health/expense/taste-preference reasons anyway"

Hordes of online resources say that he chewed real flesh and spat it out.

None say it was soy.

I guess they could all be lying about it, or completely uninformed and just making it up....

We could disbelieve anything we find about him online, in which case there is no reason to think he is vegetarian either.

I don't know the dude, though. For all i know he could be a serial-cannibal who stabbed half of the film-crew to death and ate them when the producer wanted him to eat steak , then he insisted on having soy chunks instead to chew, and that's what they filmed with. It could happen. who can say.

There's no logical reason to assume he was eating soya, from what i can tell.

Who ever said he was forced to do anything ?

As i said, there's no evidence that he was strongly against chewing some meat, or was uncomfortable with doing so, or anything.

It may have simply gone :

"Do you want this job ? It involves eating meat though, it will pay well but i can give it to someone else if you like."

"Well i'm vegetarian so i won;t eat it, I'm cool with chewing it though if i can spit it out, that doesn;t bother me"

" I wouldn't want to force you to do anything...."

"No no man, it's cool. I'm just vegetarian for health/expense/taste-preference reasons anyway"

Hordes of online resources say that he chewed real flesh and spat it out.

None say it was soy.

I guess they could all be lying about it, or completely uninformed and just making it up....

We could disbelieve anything we find about him online, in which case there is no reason to think he is vegetarian either.

I don't know the dude, though. For all i know he could be a serial-cannibal who stabbed half of the film-crew to death and ate them when the producer wanted him to eat steak , then he insisted on having soy chunks instead to chew, and that's what they filmed with. It could happen. who can say.

It is possible that he was chewing real meat. But to say he did it for cash is to imply that he sold out his values for money, which is unfair to assume. As I mentioned earlier, if he is in fact "vegan", and he did in fact chew real meat (both points being debatable since neither of know), he didn't do it for the cash, but rather CHOSE to do it because he felt it would help in his performance. Because I can tell you for sure that the steak eating scene is not a deal breaker when casting. The best actor for the job will be hired, and if he is vegetarian they will work around that unless the scene is absolutely vital to the plot, which it is not in this case, and even then there are always ways to work around it. (And it has been done countless times, in countless other films)

I don't think it's possible to say if it's beef or not, and I don't think it's possible to say what his motives would have been if it was beef. When you do a yahoo search for it, all the entries say it was actual beef, but that's not necessarily to be trusted.