Hobbies and collections

JW

All this sports card talk is bringing back memories.

I'm almost regretting selling the collection.... but not quite

Do you display them or file them in boxes?

I bought these on ebay.

The Mario has been graded a 10 by PSA.

The Howe is graded a 7

The Shore is graded a 4

Nice!!!!

Those are some good ones to have! How did you come into such old cards? Some people find boxes or "inherit" a collection. I just had my boyhood collection to work with.

1985.... I think that's Mario's rookie card. Keep it in good condition

1800's???? Wow!! Now that's a collection!!

Any notables?? baseball, hockey?

I did find a few hockey cards.

1933 Eddie Shore

1957 Gordie Howe

1985 Mario Lemieux

Right now they are stored away in boxes.

I've been thinking about selling most of mine on ebay.

Whittle it down to just a handful of favorites.

That's a good idea.

I always felt that it would be better to have a handful of older & rare cards than a box full of average ones.

Have you ever sold cards on e-bay before?

Right now they are stored away in boxes.

I've been thinking about selling most of mine on ebay.

Whittle it down to just a handful of favorites.

The Howe card has gotta be worth quite a bit...cards don't sell well though unless the athlete recently broke a record, retired, got into the hall of fame or dies....so most of my pricey cards are of athletes that are nearing the end of there prime so I'm gonna wait until they're inducted in the hall or about to croak

A bit late, but I feel I need to jump in and say that I too, play Magic. I used to have quite the collection, and at one point 2 years ago, I owned:

1 Black Lotus (600$ at the time)

1 Ancestral Recall (450$)

1 Timetwister (200$)

1 Timewalk (450$)

1 Mox Ruby (300$)

1 Mox Sapphire (300$)

1 Mox Jet (300$)

1 Mox Pearl (300$)

1 Library of Alexandria (150$)

4 Mana Drains (100$ each)

1 DCI foil promo balance. (80$)

I also collect import video games.

A bit late, but I feel I need to jump in and say that I too, play Magic. I used to have quite the collection, and at one point 2 years ago, I owned:

1 Black Lotus (600$ at the time)

1 Ancestral Recall (450$)

1 Timetwister (200$)

1 Timewalk (450$)

1 Mox Ruby (300$)

1 Mox Sapphire (300$)

1 Mox Jet (300$)

1 Mox Pearl (300$)

1 Library of Alexandria (150$)

4 Mana Drains (100$ each)

1 DCI foil promo balance. (80$)

I also collect import video games.

woah. My brother won a tournament and the prize was a mox sapphire. In his collection I think he also has Ancestral Recall, Timetwiser and Timewalk. I gave all my cards to him for drafting. Did you sell these cards?

My favorite cards that i have include

Denying Wind

Magenta The Lion

Silver Seraph

Mahamoti Djinn(sp)

And those are just for artwork mainly(although a Magenta the Lion wipe + threshold plus Silver Seraph and some other threshold nasties is also fun)

I believe my brother has a Kamahl, First of Krosah and i know a kid who has that one AND the old one when he was mountain not forest.

I'm probably going to build a Druid/elves set with Kamahl and a ton of elves(i don't like all elves decks because everyone has one and i wanna switch it up a bit) and a ton of druids for crazy mana and life gain plus the swarm factor. Probably get some class specific card searchers in their and i'll be good to go.

I would definitely categorize travel as a hobby! I love to travel, but having 2 kids has increased the cost somewhat. We still have dreams of Africa, Australia, China. So many places....

JW,

With 3 kids of my own, I can totally understand that! Our dream destinations lean more towards the America's, Europe & New Zealand. I hesitate to consider travel as "just a hobby" as it means so much to me...

So true!

It's almost a way of life.

I knew a fellow who was so travel crazy that he would fly all weekend during bonus periods to accumulate massive frequent flier points.

I personally don't go that far, but I do love travelling!

We just can't seem to leave the kids at home so our plans have been modified a bit.

I would definitely categorize travel as a hobby! I love to travel, but having 2 kids has increased the cost somewhat. We still have dreams of Africa, Australia, China. So many places....

JW,

With 3 kids of my own, I can totally understand that! Our dream destinations lean more towards the America's, Europe & New Zealand. I hesitate to consider travel as "just a hobby" as it means so much to me...

Sports cards are pricey now...normally $2.50-3.50 a pack and sometimes more for special editions...when I stopped buying pack in 96 or so they were $1-2...while some brands tested gold editions that were $5

And you don't even get a stick of bubble gum anymore

Sports cards are pricey now...normally $2.50-3.50 a pack and sometimes more for special editions...when I stopped buying pack in 96 or so they were $1-2...while some brands tested gold editions that were $5

I actually have a pack of 1968 tops cards that have not been opened. I paid $20 for the pack and have yet to open it. Surely the gum is really gross...the pack just smells like a really old book.

I really want too open it but don't know if I ever will. There are 3-4 cards in the set that can potentially be in the set and they are all over $500...one is Reggie Jackson's Rookie card...which I already have, a Pete Rose and another is Nolan Ryan's second year card which is worth nearly $3000. I just don't wanna get my hopes up and get dooped but I'm sure there are at least 5 cards worth over $10 in the set since there are so many super stars in the set and even a bunch of the average cards or worth $5

If I ever open it I'll at least try to chew the gum just because I'm a moron...no interest in money just testing my own stupidity

The problem is that most of those things you can tell what is inside...I have no clue so I could have 15 $3 cards or the pack could have $3000-$5000 in it...its so hard to tell and it gives me chills just thinking about it since I'm always broke

Its really like the lottery but my thing is I want a biggie...I know for a fact that there has to be at least a $50 card in there since there are so many in the set. It is also very likely that there is a $100 card and there is a good chance that there is a $300 card...but for some reason I can't do it. Maybe I'll let my first kid interested in cards open it...but I probably won't have my kids play baseball so they may never get into it. They can if they start making vegan gloves that don't fall apart and vegan balls...all the vegan gloves I've seen are $20 pieces of crap...also I'd rather my kids play a sport thats halfway entertaining to watch like curling, or thumb wrestling

I've noticed that a lot more sporting equipment has been made with synthetic materials in recent years.

It's probably more to do with costs of manufacturing though.

I really don't see any reason why animal skins must be used for sporting equipment!