Anti-depressants.. ( Vegan and natural ones )

andgbr

Any suggestion? I'm feeling a little depressed these days ( i'm a teenager, expecting, what? ) , and i wanted something to make me feel more comfortable ( happy, less stressed, etc.. ), but something natural, a specific food or something like that, i do not take drugs..they're evil..

Thanks everybody..

Working out or hanging out with friends always helps me.

Comfort foods= tofu, pasta, tofutti cuties, soy ice cream(basically anything with fats and oils )

My friends and i had a food orgy last night. I ate an entire can of garbanzo beans in a spinach and onion salad with balsamic vinagraitte and an entire Amy's roasted veggie pizza.

5-Hydroxytryptophan (labelled as 5-HTP) which is an amino acid that breaks down to serotonin. I've taken it in the past, with good results. Most health food stores carry it, I also found a vegan version at veganessentials.

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/5-htp-by-now.htm

Only weird side-effect I noticed was that my dreams were more vivid and that I was more likely to remember them. I suspect this had something to do with sleeping better in general, which is a good thing, but it did make it really easy to sleep through my alarm a few times.

eheh, thanks, it's because i'm moving soon ( not sure when), and i'm trying to do something to make me forget about how much i will miss my friends.. something to make me feel optimistic about it.. it's tough...

i really appreciate for all the help everybody..

Any prescription drug is gonna be tested on animals but you can get ahold of herbs...like St. John's Wart which is vegan if you can find it in vegan gelcaps...I'm pretty sure veganessentials has it...it works quite well for mild depression.

Any prescription drug is gonna be tested on animals but you can get ahold of herbs...like St. John's Wart which is vegan if you can find it in vegan gelcaps...I'm pretty sure veganessentials has it...it works quite well for mild depression.

even if prescription drugs weren't tested on animals, i don't think i would ever take 'em.. , it's not a risk to be taken.

i think i'm gonna try 5-HP, and try having some vivid dreams.. eheh

but thanks anyways..

I am concerned that I am going to be put on anti-depressants soon. I really don't want to be put on prozac, from what I've read about possible side effects. I am hoping that I can just refuse to take any of their medication.

Perhaps you choose one of the advices above.. there's no need for drugs, you're going to break the ninjas' 'code of honor' if you use drugs..

Well there will be pressure from my parents and the doctors, my parents are freaking out right now. I'm in the process of arranging to see a psychiatrist, I'm happy to go along with that. But drugs, I really don't want to - but I can see big arguments with my parents about it.

I wouldn't take any medication or supplements; try more natural methods first, such as getting 20 minutes of direct sunlight *every day, if you can. If you live in an area where it is very grey, and you cannot get sunshine daily, then try one of these: Therapeutic Light. This has been shown to be very beneficial from slight, bluesy moods to more serious depression. Dr. Fuhrman recommends it; I've heard him mention it his talks. Probably cheaper in the long run, especially if you buy various supplements to try out.

Well there will be pressure from my parents and the doctors, my parents are freaking out right now. I'm in the process of arranging to see a psychiatrist, I'm happy to go along with that. But drugs, I really don't want to - but I can see big arguments with my parents about it.

but why? try taking some vegan supplement, or Therapeutic light, or doing something else that makes you less depressed.. perhaps we can find a cure for the problem before they start giving you remedies..

but why? try taking some vegan supplement, or Therapeutic light, or doing something else that makes you less depressed.. perhaps we can find a cure for the problem before they start giving you remedies..

There will be arguments because I won't take the drugs, and they'll get pissed because they will say that I'm being silly, and doing harm to myself by not taking the medication blah. Yes I would much prefer alternative treatment like those. There is very serious depression in my family, I don't know the extent of my own, or if I even have 'depression' at this stage. Once I get to the psychiatrist, perhaps I'll get a clearer picture of what's going on in my brain, and maybe I'll be better prepared and know what steps to take from there.

Oh yeah, I forgot about light. That's a good one.

When I lived further north, I was prone to "Seasonal Affective Disorder" during the winter, which is a sort of depression caused by not enough sunlight. At the time, I couldn't afford the actual light therapy equipment... but... my mom happened to be experimenting with hydroponic tomatoes in her living room and I found that if I sat next to the grow lights for while, I felt a lot better... so, I'd definitely recommend trying light therapy of some sort.

Oh yeah, I forgot about light. That's a good one.

When I lived further north, I was prone to "Seasonal Affective Disorder" during the winter, which is a sort of depression caused by not enough sunlight. At the time, I couldn't afford the actual light therapy equipment... but... my mom happened to be experimenting with hydroponic tomatoes in her living room and I found that if I sat next to the grow lights for while, I felt a lot better... so, I'd definitely recommend trying light therapy of some sort.

Does the light give us vivid dreams? LoL

haha, i'm kidding.. well, anyways, my 5-htp thing is coming in few days, i've ordered that yesterday. i hope it helps me. =)

I think any light that emits high levels of UV (for a light) would work, as I think it's the UV in sunlight that we respond to, or the lack thereof that we respond to. Grow lights are probably pretty UV-intense. S.A.D and vitamin D are definite concerns where I live.

andgbr, why are you taking 5-HTP? Have you even performed a cursory query into it? There are serious cautions associated with it. I'd, personally, only try it under the direction of a qualified doctor.

I'd try cognitive therapy (CBT), first (with the light at home) if anything. It's one of the few therapies proved to have results, equal to and better than medications. It's a type of therapy and involves no drugs. Usually covered by insurance, and available if asked (health care provider - at least in the U.S.)

I also heard Neal Nedley (vegan doctor) talk about depression, and if anyone wants any further info (and nutritional notes), I'll post it here. Lemme know.

A good place to start would be to -- yep, start downing the green smoothies -- and get onto a high-nutrient diet (Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan).

Jay, you'll be able to see Nedley speak on the dvd's I'm sending you. Yea, as you know, I'll not continue in a career which does not bring me enjoyment -- not sure about nutrtion in my future, who knows? People can go through a few careers in a lifetime.

Neal Nedley books: (When I get these books, I'll lend/send them to you, if you want to borrow them, Jay)

"Depression: The Way Out"

and

"Proof Positive"

He has a dvd set with workbook which sounds good: "Depression Recovery" http://www.drnedley.com/depression_dvd.htm

Interview to read: http://www.beneficialfoods.com/nedley-interview.htm

Here are some vids of Nedley - Worth seeing: http://www.leavesoflife.org/dr-neil-nedley-uk-depression-way-out-proof-positive.htm

10-minute excerpt from the VegSource talk: http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/nedley.htm

----

Here are some quick highlights/notes on his talk:

And this pdf looks like the outline he used in the talk I heard: http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oncdps/diabetes/pdf/nedleydepression.pdf

Nedley says there are 10 causes:

1. Genetic - (says this is NOT a cause in and of itself {which most people like to attribute it by saying their is a "history" in my family, so..."}; it must have other causes too.

2. Developmental -

a. Way reared/ and/or not being reared by both parents

b. history of adolescent depression

c. sexual abuse

d. history of alcohol or drug use as a teen

e. poor nutritional development

3. Lifestyle -

a. No reular exercise

b. No 30- mins of sunshine

c. No fresh air

4. Circadian rhythm

5. Addiction

6. Nutrition

7. Toxic

8. social - complicated stress or grief (causes one to seek isolation)

9. Medical condition (small percentage - 15%)

10. Frontal Lobe issues -

a. decrease in blood flow to the frontal lobe - 40-50% (this has become more important discovery within the past 10 years)

b. low carb diet

c. frequent sexual arousal (usually outside of marriage)

d. No spiritual study or abstract thinking - frontal lobe is where morality and spirituality is centered.

e. habitually going against one's conscience

f. "Constant stimulation of the senses shuts down the analytical processes and ultimately shuts down the ability to face life rationally. Leads to escape techniques that involve withdrawal apathy, and rejection of disciplined thinking when faced with difficult duties and decisions"*

Nutritionally:

Insufficient tryptophan:Best to eat:

blackeyed peas

Black Walnuts

Almonds

Pumpkin seeds

sesae seeds

tofu

gluten

Insufficient Omega 3's: Best to eat

Ground Flax seeds (3 grams per day)

Almonds (1/4C)

Spinach (you need a lot of this, so smoothies would be the best way)

Green soybeans, aka:"edamame"

Black Walnuts (1/4 C)

English Walnuts

Chia seeds (see my blog, right side for sources of organic chias + benefits)

Insufficient B12, folate (or folic acid)

High lead levels such as mercury, arsenic, bismuth, other toxins.

Eat:

Blackeyed Peas (1 C)

pineapple (1 C)

1 C lentils

1/4 C Raw, Spanish Peanuts

1 C Navy Beans

Spinach

Exercise:

HIT is especially good (Just read your blog, Jay, heh.)

Get:

30-minutes of *daily* direct sunshine

Light therapy (best within 10 minutes of awakening) - Dr. F. also says this and has a timetable that's best -- I think it's between 7:00 a.m.-8:00 a.m)

cognitive Therapy: - Person has distorted thinking -> this therapy reworks those thoughts (no drugs). Proved better than drugs.

*Nealy quoted Alvin Toffler

Risks associated with depression:

- Chronic headaches

- Osteoporosis

- reverting to addictive behaviors

- asthma

- increases stress hormones

- decreases sex hormones

- impairs immune system

- decreases memory

- increases stroke and heart attacks by 50%

- increase risk heart disease and cancer

- pneumonia

- suicide

Edited by _raVen_

andgbr, why are you taking 5-HTP? Have you even performed a cursory query into it? There are serious cautions associated with it. I'd, personally, only try it under the direction of a qualified doctor.

I'd try cognitive therapy (CBT), first (with the light at home) if anything. It's one of the few therapies proved to have results, equal to and better than medications. It's a type of therapy and involves no drugs. Usually covered by insurance, and available if asked (health care provider - at least in the U.S.)

I also heard Neal Nedley (vegan doctor) talk about depression, and if anyone wants any further info (and nutritional notes), I'll post it here. Lemme know.

A good place to start would be to -- yep, start downing the green smoothies -- and get onto a high-nutrient diet (Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan).

i will try some of your advices, but about that 5-htp i've bought that already, i guess i will have to really think about that, now that you said that, i'm going to save that until i really decide taking or not..

thanks everybody.. i will start with the green smothies.. and think about the others...

P.S. After thinking a while, i'm not taking 5-htp anymore, i've bought that already anyways, i guess i will just have save that in case i really need someday. I'll try doing some exercises, and eating/drinking more ''greens'', and some other distractions.. i guess that's the best thing after all.

I'm glad that y'all could help me.

I read the thread from the start about how you are feeling depressed, and that you also have anxiety about moving, and am amazed at how we grab for drugs to get us through the rough patches in our lives. The only thing, is that during the rough patches is where we get our most growth. It is the turning points in our lives, and we just want to get through it, and not deal with it, or learn from it, nor grow from it. I am with raven on using treatments to use if you really can't handle it. I've tried Rescue Remedy by Bach Essence as a mild anxiety reliever (I found out that St.John's Wort can cause reactions with the sun/UV light and other blood medications/surgery complications if you get in an accident). Valerian made me too sleepy, and I've tried Kava Kava tea with mixed results too. My favorite is Rescue Remedy (mouth spray form is great).

Richard, be careful of psychiatrist (they can prescribe drugs). Mine put me on Xanax without telling me how addictive it was. A psychologist (can not prescribe drugs) was the one who really help me to cope by giving me relaxing tools to use when the anxiety was too much. I also found out about herbs and foods to eat to help me after I got myself off the Xanax in three months.

Richard, be careful of psychiatrist (they can prescribe drugs). Mine put me on Xanax without telling me how addictive it was. A psychologist (can not prescribe drugs) was the one who really help me to cope by giving me relaxing tools to use when the anxiety was too much. I also found out about herbs and foods to eat to help me after I got myself off the Xanax in three months.

Well they can prescribe whatever they want, they can't actually force me to take it, booyah! They'll be eating a DDT pie with my name on it, and their name on it.