Nutmeg

Junkies!

The thing is that I tried to make Dahl (the Indian food) today and then I tried to make a spice mix to it. I say tried because I failed miserably and I'm now sitting here with a whole pot of some grey matter that tastes like and that apparently will make me high too.

Sounds tasty......

Well I guess you could eat the pot full and see what happens, it might be fun

I studied a fair bit of botany in the past so the chemicals in plants and fungi etc and their effect on us, I find pretty interesting.

Be it dried pieces of a cactus, Peyote, The leaves of a plant that you chew to prevent altitude sickness, coca, or little gold coloured mushrooms that bruise a blue colour, which contain psilocybin....

Hey offense74, do you know what type of dhal your trying to make?

Although that may seem like an obvious question my mother makes all sorts of dhals all the time, so maybe I can get her secret recipe with the mix of spices.

I had a similar result when I attempted to cook what I thought would be dhal but it turned out very different to how I expected / wanted.

Live n learn! Well I learnt to leave it to the experts for now!

Hey offense74, do you know what type of dhal your trying to make?

Although that may seem like an obvious question my mother makes all sorts of dhals all the time, so maybe I can get her secret recipe with the mix of spices.

I had a similar result when I attempted to cook what I thought would be dhal but it turned out very different to how I expected / wanted.

Live n learn! Well I learnt to leave it to the experts for now!

Yes, please post a recipe!!

I had a learnig experience in that I had not used some of these spices before. So it was too much of some things (cloves and cardamom) and too little of others. It will be better next time

I think it's a strong herb; it can be poisonous.

From http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h156.htm

"Safety:

Nutmeg is a mild hallucinogenic drug, somewhat like marijuana. In addition to hallucinations and elation, however, eating nutmegs produces stomach pain, double vision, delirium, and other symptoms of poisoning.

CAUTION. Eating as few as two nutmegs can cause death."

I believe that paragraph's taken from The Herb Book because my copy has it written out exactly like that. Or maybe that info comes from some other source usually used for describing nutmeg. Not sure.

From answers.com:

"Side Effects

There are no known side effects from using nutmeg properly. Too much nutmeg, however, can cause serious health problems and even death. Early symptoms of an overdose of nutmeg (one to three nuts) are thirst, nausea, and feelings of urgency. There may also be experiences of altered consciousness; this can range from mild to intensive hallucinations, and results in a stupor that lasts from two to three days. Sometimes shock and seizures occur. Immediate medical attention is necessary when someone has taken too much nutmeg."

Wikipedia has more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg_psychosis

It seems nutmeg's hallucinogenic effects are evidence of some poisoning having already started, which I think is probably the case with any can-make-people-"high" drug, just maybe how long-lasting and permanently damaging the poisonous effects are varies per drug.

Having said all that, I LOVE nutmeg! The flavor's awesome; it's one of my favorite spices. But "spices" is the key word there, so I use nutmeg in small quantities. I've occasionally made desserts with half a teaspoon of ground nutmeg consumed by two people and haven't noticed any hallucinogenic effects or any other effects. Still, I know it's a pretty strong herb so I'm careful not to use too much too often; I usually use about a quarter of a teaspoon ground for two people. Also, I use already-ground nutmeg, which may be weaker than freshly ground, like most of the nutmeg oleoresins are probably destroyed once they've been sitting around, once the seeds have been exposed to air more.

Happy and healthy eating!

Fran