Are humans "NATURAL" meat eaters?

compassionategirl

Unless humans were like rabbits. Did you know that rabbits eat their droppings? They have to in order to get all the vitamins they need. I think some things are not fully broken down the first time so they have to eat it again. The bacteria in our intestines makes b-12, but then of course that dose us no good because we just poop it out.

The B12 point is invalid. There is B12 in some fresh soil that you would eat from the food you pull up out of the ground, it's just not a reliable source & modern farming destroys it & modern transport/storage means that there's no way to get enough that way, even home grown does not guarantee it. Also there is the matter of the "accidental" ingestion of the most potent carrier of B12, insects. There could be a case that our accidental eating of insects supplemented our diets, but there can be enough B12 in our diets from eating unwashed veggies, in ideal situations, but as we all live anything other than ideal lives, we need to supplement.

We supplement B12 because we've moved away from our ancestral roots & rely on modern farming practices to produce our food, also to safeguard our health as we can't determine how much B12 is available in the soil (nor do I really fancy eating muddy food !).

I'm not sure if an omnivore is something that eats both veggies & meat or can eat veggies & meat. It's a fact we can eat meat without any processing at all. We can digest & utilise the nutients. So, if the actual definition of omnivore is they can utilise a particular food (in this case meat) obviously we are, but if the definition is eats both meat & veggies then I'm more likely to say we probably are unlikely to be a natural meat eater, we might when in a starvation situation, but I'd say we were most likely designed for a vegetable diet & meat was an introduction of modern humans (that is early homo sapians or one of the earlier homo- species), a lazy way to get nutrition that we "learned", not a part of our "natural" diet.

At least that's my view, but who, for sure knows???

• 3 months later...
Where is the bumper sticker that says “ if we’re not supposed the eat PEOPLE then why are they made out of meat?”?

That reminds me of something I saw in the latest (at least latest that I got) "Herbivore" magazine. Someone is making vegan human-flesh products. That is, vegan human flesh analogs. Strange name to them, as well.

Whether humans are natural vegans or natural omnivores (I tend to think more the latter, as it is a better survival mechanism--a species that can adapt to a wider variety of foods has a better chance of surviving) what matters is that we have a CHOICE, which other animals don't. And at our stage of evolution, and, one would hope, at least a glimmer of some type of enlightenment, we can choose to kill to eat, or we can choose a diet that is more humane and environmentally sound.

Indeed, if we are natural omnivores, we CAN eat almost anything...but it doesn't mean we need to.

When I used the term "natural" I meant are we physiologically designed to eat meat.

No.

I haven't read the other replies but we have to fry, roast and other how cook meat to make it edible and digestible for humans, and prevent it from poisoning us.

If we were physiologically designed to eat meet we'd have claws and plenty of sharp teeth to kill animals with. We'd have a stomach for digesting meat as well. I read somewhere that humans use an incredible amount of energy trying to digest even cooked meat - hence why a lot of people nod off on a Sunday afternoon after eating a roast.

However despite our physiology, humans had the intelligence to overcome these factors as we evolved, so you could argue we are mentally designed to eat meat .............

Jonathan did you notice if the vegan babies got constipated or crap a lot? Ive read many of the troubles like that with babies are due to eating meat which babies cannot digest. The only people i know with babies feed em meat and they crap frequently, sometimes several times in a 30 minute period. Is this normal for babies? Would a plant based diet be a remedy?

If a baby is going several times every 30 minutes throughout the day, no its not normal. Too much pooping will cause dehydration. A lot depends on their age. A very young fully breastfed baby often will effortlessly eliminate several times a day, sometimes after each feeding. Their poop doesn't smell anything ike a formula feed babies (much sweeter smelling) and it's very soft. Formula feed babies are much more likely to experience constipation problems, which of course leds to other problems.

Both my kids were vegans until about 1 1/2 years. I was a meat eater then and my husband still is. I wish I never put them on meat. When I did, they didn't have any problems with digesting or constipation (ate lots of veggies) but their poop started to smell nasty.

• 2 weeks later...

^ LOL. Classic.

Btw, great thread. I was wondering about the same subject for a while now, but this definately cleared it up.

It's ironic that we eat meat, but we give corn based food to our dogs. For example "Science Diet" Food. Corn is the worst thing you can give to a dog. It's all BS. But of course its much cheaper for companies to make dog food made out of corn rather than meat. For a dog the best type of food is RAW diet, yes raw meat. How often do you see people do this? Very few. It's time to exchange plates with our pets