Training Schedule

Zack

Does anyone else feel the need to work out a muscle group multiple times per week? I've tried the monday/wednesday/friday routine of muscle groups once per week, but I never feel like i'm gaining anything if I only do it once per week, how about you?

I switched from doing a split routine (where I would train 1-2 muscle groups per workout) to a whole body routine a few months ago and have seen much greater gains. I also feel better workng out this way. Nagging injuries have also dissappeared. Overall energy is better. I am spending fewer days in the gym as well.

I use to train 3 days in a row, with 1-2 days off. Day 1: chest/back. Day 2: lower body. Day 3: arms/shoulders. Take 1-2 days off and repeat.

I saw decent gains at first, but eventually started getting several injuries that wouldnt go away.

I now train my whole body, using mostly compound movements, in each workout, 3x a week. I totally stopped doing any isolation exercises (curls, tri press down, etc...). I stick to exercises like pull-ups, dips, deadlifts, squats, etc...

Another thread on this topic here: viewtopic.php?t=4741

Will is right. However, I go through cycles where I do a lot of pull ups for several days in a row.

I normally hit all of my body parts hard at least once a week, but then sometimes some parts may get hit a second time (Ie: When I do my back, my biceps get hit, but I sometimes just do bicep workouts too).

• 2 weeks later...

I do a two day split with a day of rest between each workout and maybe two occasionally if I feel like it; a bit of extra recovery never hurt anyone. That means I get through each body part about 1.5 times a week, and I'd say from previous experience that doing any more than that is flirting with overtraining, which is the lamest thing that ever was. I used to do a 4 day split working everyday for 3 weeks and then one week of solid rest. It worked really well for about a month, and then I peaked and stopped gaining at all. Try to avoid overtraining, no matter what else you do. Less gain for more work is not the way to go.

I just started a fairly psychotic plan of 5 days. Mondays and Thursdays are chest, shoulders, tris; Tuesday and Fridays are back, rear delts and bis; Wednesdays are legs. The split upper body days allow me to sperate compound movements and isolation movements so as not to overly tire any one muscle group. So far I feel great doing this plan!