100% Raw for 36 hours

robert

A raw challenge sounds great. I just ordered a Blend-tec (similar to Vitamix) and am going to start messing with some sprouting hopefully tomorrow. It will be a challenge here in a dorm room, but I am willing to try one week totally raw. Likely my diet would be 90% fruits due to lack of a decent kitchen, fridge and room.

• 3 weeks later...

hey Robert, if you do that raw challenge you will find me signing up for it! I am so attracted to raw but at the moment what is stopping me from going there is generally i just throw a simple salad together. well, reading this forum and other raw websites always reminds me the variety of raw food recipes out there... i would love a challenge to give me a push further into that world. doing a fruitarian stint is also very appealing right now. once my detox is done on monday i might just start it then!

Didn't catch this tread until now. Oh a challenge ah, that's kind of cool.

Well I am just finishing my 12th day of being 100% raw today 14th of Feb. (oh I only went 100% vegan offically on the 22nd June 2006). I am keeping a fairly accurate food diary + a journal of my experience too, of my 100% Raw journey.

My very little experience does match some of the material I have read about going 100% raw though. Up until I went 100% I was probably doing 90% raw for a month or so, as I read around the subject. The 10% of non-raw consisted of rice milk, homous (hummus) and the occasional rice cracker.

I can tell you one thing going 10% to 90% is far easier than going 90% to 100%. Going 100% Vegan was kind of tricky, but going 100% Raw is far more intense. I mean in the way it effects the body. I have read some of Bigbwii stuff, now I can appreciate what he meant.

Now I don't think the effect is a bad thing as such, I just mean I can really feel a shift in my body state. I'm only just getting into the detox stage and it's a bit of a roll coaster ride. Though one I am starting to realise will be hugely beneficial.

Thankfully the raw material on the web and certain books have kept me on track with regards to why I would want to take this 100% step.

I'll post stats etc when I get a useful amount, maybe to encourage others. Also I'll post any info like eye sight improvement, clearer thinking and all that kind of good stuff they alway rave about in the raw material, man I can't wait for that stage

I will work on the raw challenge soon Our recent shape-up voting just finished and I'll work on putting this together, but I'll have someone else run the challenge. I'll work to get sponsors and prizes, but have someone else take control of it.

Anyone interested in running the raw challenge?

I think any challenge of this type would have to be 30 days minimum.

I would think a 100% raw challenge as DV said pretty tough, as sourcing stuff can be quite difficult. I am finding this difficult as I'm only 14 days into my 100% raw lifestyle, as you can not take anything at face value.

I think vitamins for example should not be seen as something you consider as raw or unraw. Just something you take. With time, sourcing alternatives will naturally come along.

I think basic rules like no use of boiling, baking, frying, steaming etc are expected. Also no convience foods like snack bars etc can be considered as part of the challenge.

A gray area is beans and nuts....so do you expect them to be soaked before consuming them as part of the challenge ?

If it works out, this challenge will be a huge jump in the 100% raw lifestyle of this site, as I am sure it will change many people's lives as well as bringing in lots of personal experience of what it's like to go through the initial stages of going raw, along with tips and hints on food and food suppliers around the world.

Edited by Monow

bighead why no snack bars or packeged raw goods? there are 100% raw bars available

I was meaning that often the convience foods that are ok for vegans are not ok for raw vegans. If specific brands are found to be raw, then that is fine.

I'm was thinking that after a little research that many of the things that are standard vegan foods are quite processed. This is one of things that has amazed me so much. For example oats are often not raw, but have been heated. Now up until going all raw, I thought grains and flours and such were just seeds/grains grinded a bit. Seems that isn't the case.

I didn't mean to sound like I wanted to make the whole challenge as intense/complicated as possible. I was just throwing in some ideas, kind of food for thought.

Basically what I'd like from it all is, people all striving to learn about the raw lifestyle, sharing information, supporting each other, swapping experiences.

Going raw is just as big a step as going vegan, though maybe more so. I personally don't even know another vegan let alone a raw vegan, so this forum is a major asset to me.

Long term goal would be for the raw vegans on the site to have a wealth of information to share with new comers. Maybe a FAQs also being produced too. That's just an idea, when I'm 6 months in, I would probably be better to advise, but at this just let the supportive information sharing continue, to allow people who wish to make the journey do so.

Raw food is intense. Being raw is intense.

You can do someone's system a lot of harm, if they detox too quickly,

and end up having insufficient elimination of these toxins

(by reabsorbing the toxins)

I don't think this should be taken as lightly as someone just going

vegan for 30 days, or so...

People can get sick(detox), have serious detox symptoms, and end up

with a variety of other issues if they go too quickly into it.

I have been raw (nearly 100%) for almost 4 years now, and I STILL

experience detox symptoms that are unpleasant.

Because not only are you detoxing from pharmacuticals/aspirin/diet pills/

soda/sugar, etc. , you're also detoxing cooked food from your system.

Which goes back to when you were a baby.

It is intense.

I feel if there are going to be serious restrictions with this challenge,

there also needs to be holistic eliminative approaches taken as well;

such as colonics, enemas, body brushing/exfoliation, saunas, etc.

Raw foods do you no good, if you don't fully eliminate the toxins

they release into your system.

You are truely awakening old demons.

My recommendation would be to make it a high-raw challenge,

and include some cooked foods, to avoid shocking the system with "100%"

Also, I don't think it should be longer than 2 weeks (that is long enough

to experience results, but do no harm in the process), anyone

can go longer if desired.

I cannot stress enough...

You really need to allow your body to adjust to 'high-raw' for

a number of years before just diving into the deep end of the

raw food pool.

Having 100% raw food label, does not mean you're 100% healthy;

this lifestyle is a lot more involved than that..

(hah, sorry to ramble off... )

I think a master cleanse would be a whole other challenge in itself, honestly and this one should be focused on raw eating.

I suggested to Robert there be 'tiers' to this challenge... sections in which dehydrated food is allowed, then a section with all raw and then a section with all fruit and people can go for whichever they feel most comfortable with. That way people who want to really go hard can, and people who want to ease into it can as well.

For the record, I have been totally raw for the past 40+ hours (probably since Brendan is here and his influence), but I'm about to eat some burritos, which ended my 57-hour raw streak last time.

Soon, I hope to break my record and go for 60-90 hours of total RAW. We'll see.

I'll keep working on this RAW Challenge idea as well.