This location is "almost" perfect

robert

This location looks great!

http://www.gorge-oushouse.com/index.html

Only 2 issues:

1. It looks like 2 pieces of furniture may be leather

2. They really stress maximum occupancy of 14, even though based on the square footage, we could fit many more. They do not allow additional camping.

Should I go ahead and inquire about having more people to see if they are flexible?

I'm still looking and just stumbled across this one today. Maybe we'll only ge t 14 committed people...I don't know. We have 30 listed right now.

Maybe there is a nearby property available for others?

I'll keep looking, just thought I'd post this since it has internet, hot tub, capacity for a bunch of people, and is really beautiful and located in a great area.

Here is a look at it:

http://www.gorge-oushouse.com/img/wholeHouse.jpg

Read here for more info and photos:

http://www.gorge-oushouse.com/index.html

Edited by robert

I've put in quite a few hours searching and I'm running into problems finding places for 20-30 of us. But I know there must be something out there. So I'll talk to the Visitor Center on the phone soon and make another trip over to Hood River this week.

I too worry about the leather furniture and possible other non-vegan things in the rental house, so I'll keep searching and see what I can find.

I've put in quite a few hours searching and I'm running into problems finding places for 20-30 of us. But I know there must be something out there. So I'll talk to the Visitor Center on the phone soon and make another trip over to Hood River this week.

I too worry about the leather furniture and possible other non-vegan things in the rental house, so I'll keep searching and see what I can find.

It's just that every lodge I've stayed at is somehow non-vegan, but if I had to choose, I'd much prefer leather furniture to an elk head.

So far it's the best place I've found (most sleep 8 or 10 at most). I just wish they would let us have another 10 people staying on matresses, on the deck, etc.

I may get in touch with them.

Has anyone else researched places to stay? I'm just looking for other good leads.

And remember.......even though we have 30 people signed up, it doesn't mean we'll get 30. I hope so, but last year we had 25 or more signed up and got about half of that number, plus tons of Portland residents. This year I expect a pretty good attendance so that is why I'm looking for a pretty big space.

What key words should I use?

I use:

Cabin

Lodge

Vacation Rental

Vacation Home

and terms like:

Sleeps 20

I don't know about the occupancy, but are there going to be a lot of lodges without leather furniture?

Other than that I like the place.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat the furniture Rob. It may not be the most vegan-friendly thing in the world, but i doubt many are going to have a major issue with the furniture.

Yeah, I like it too. I'm just worried about the 14-person limit and NO camping

davidtarrfoster says we should just bring in more than 14 anyway, which is what we could easily have room for (check out photos, plenty of room and deck space too) but I also like to follow rules. (why do I have to be such a good boy all the time???)

I'll e-mail them tonight just to inquire about availability and details.

There are other places too but Hood River is really a cool town for this event and this place has so much to offer.

Even if there are a few non-vegan furniture items, I can totally cover them with sheets, and stuff like that.

If anyone finds other places while searching on your own, please post them too. It's a tough task and I love the help.

Thanks!

(why do I have to be such a good boy all the time???)

Because it would really suck to have 50 people show up from all over the world and then get kicked out.

Yeah, I know That would really suck. So, we'll follow rules. I'll talk to people directly and find out exactly what we can do. We may have to look elsewhere or I can offer extra $$$$ to allow more people.

You know what they say, $$$ talks right? If I do the right fundraising, we should be able to afford a cool place that will be lots of fun.

I just want to hustle you guys in pool.

A country-ass Tennessee pool shark! Whoda thunk!

Good Sir,

I am no country ass, I was born in Georgia, but raised in Minnesota until I was 14, I'm now 19. I'm as Northern as anyone. Fat people get cold faster than I do....

I just wrote this regarding the "almost perfect" place. I just wrote it quickly so hopefully I didn't make too many mistakes.

It has already been sent. I wanted to get the ball rolling:

------

Hello Kate,

My name is Robert Cheeke and I'm inquiring about availabilities for renting the Gorge-ous House this summer. I visited Hood River today and enjoyed my visit. I live in Portland so it was a quick trip.

I have a group gathing coming up this summer with tentative dates for July 28-August 2nd or 3rd. About a full week for our total length of stay in Hood River.

Hood River is where we'd like to have the gathering take place and after searching for hours online at all kinds of rental vacation homes, this one has stood out.

I have a few other questions in general about capacity, if you are flexible to have slightly more than 14, and if we could have people "camp" out on the deck or something like that. Our group will be slightly larger than 14, potentially 20-25.

We have have a website forum community of vegan athletes and we do an annual get-away retreat. Last year we were in Portland, and then year we'd like to be in Hood River. We have people come from all over the world so it is an amazing gathering of friends who share a common interest. We'd all love to stay together and we're having a hard time finding a place in Hood River to accomodate 25 people.

We are a very respectful and responsible group and we'd be willing to pay additional fees to accomodate our whole group. Our members have expressed that they wouldn't mind camping, in fact some would prefer to camp rather than stay in the house. I noticed your no camping policy so I wanted to ask about that.

Thank you very much for any info you can provide.

Feel free to get in touch anytime. I'd love to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Robert Cheeke

President

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

541-231-6269

[email protected]

The Reply I got this morning:

Dear Robert:

Thank you for your inquiry. Yours sounds like an

interesting group, but I am sorry the house cannot

accommodate that many people. Try

www.adventurethegorge.com and bigfoot lodge.

Kate

-----------------------

I checked out that site last week and it's just expensive and not what we're looking for. It is for paid classes and lunch provided, etc. all the stuff we don't need. Plus it's like $1000 per person, rather than $25 per person!

So.........back to the drawing board. There were other options in Hood River and I'll find out what I can today.

Thanks!

This is one of the places we've looked at a bit. It's probably the biggest one I've found, other than the school house which I think is outside of town.

I may inquire about it's availability soon. I think the only drawback was lack of hot tub if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for helping us look!