What are your ethnicities?

kollision

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(didn't i say i was going to bed, like,an hour ago? - oh well)

I'm about 50% English with a 1/4 German and 1/4 Irish. Grew up incredibly ignorant in middle class white suburbia.

I didn't experience CULTURE until I was 17 and started dating my first boyfriend whom I was with for 3 years. His mother was Filipino and his father Pakistani. His household was really mixed in terms of honoring traditional culture and being completely submerged in Americana.

Now, I am dating a guy whose mother is from Mexico and father is from Peru. I tend to identify with this minority population at this point in my life. In my personal experience, I find the comraderie present among the Hispanic community enlightening. I never experienced this as a "white girl". I am forever grateful that I left home at 17 and moved across the country...if i hadn't, i might still be the goody-two-shoes, conservative, ignorant girl....

(didn't i say i was going to bed, like,an hour ago? - oh well)

I'm about 50% English with a 1/4 German and 1/4 Irish. Grew up incredibly ignorant in middle class white suburbia.

I didn't experience CULTURE until I was 17 and started dating my first boyfriend whom I was with for 3 years. His mother was Filipino and his father Pakistani. His household was really mixed in terms of honoring traditional culture and being completely submerged in Americana.

Now, I am dating a guy whose mother is from Mexico and father is from Peru. I tend to identify with this minority population at this point in my life. In my personal experience, I find the comraderie present among the Hispanic community enlightening. I never experienced this as a "white girl". I am forever grateful that I left home at 17 and moved across the country...if i hadn't, i might still be the goody-two-shoes, conservative, ignorant girl....

Ah Pakistani, cool. I have some Pakistani friends. I never heard of the Filipino mix, but I had a friend that was mixed with her mom being from Guatemala.

Glad to hear that you are happy now.

I am part German as well, and Welsh too.

As far as I know I'm 100% English with family going back to saxons or whoever. I grew up with just white people. Even today the number of non-white people is very low in my area, although it has risen since I was a child. When I went to university I made friends with people from Korea, China, Japan and Germany. Then I moved home, and the only people I meet are whiteys like me. I have never experienced any culture other than the one I grew up with, and 'student life' which isn't so much a culture, more like a bum-ture.

As far as I know I'm 100% English with family going back to saxons or whoever. I grew up with just white people. Even today the number of non-white people is very low in my area, although it has risen since I was a child. When I went to university I made friends with people from Korea, China, Japan and Germany. Then I moved home, and the only people I meet are whiteys like me. I have never experienced any culture other than the one I grew up with, and 'student life' which isn't so much a culture, more like a bum-ture.

Student culture is booze, party, and sex sadly Seeing that there aren't that many mixtures in your area, I take it that you have a low crime rate? Also, is this in England or USA? I know that in England and the rest of Europe has those Chavs and such, which in this case, there could be a high crime rate lol.

Richard - your situation is different given you are in England....

Malcolm X made reference to this difference in a speech...After he traveled abroad, he acknowledged that when people in other countries mention that they are "white", they are simply stating a fact with regard to the color of their skin - in america, when the white man says he is white, he is saying he is boss. This is still true! There is still a pervasive undercurrent in American society where white people DO BELIEVE they are BETTER AND MORE SOPHISTICATED than others. I understand that this is generalizing and not fair, but, it is my experience.

Richard - your situation is different given you are in England....

Malcolm X made reference to this difference in a speech...After he traveled abroad, he acknowledged that when people in other countries mention that they are "white", they are simply stating a fact with regard to the color of their skin - in america, when the white man says he is white, he is saying he is boss. This is still true! There is still a pervasive undercurrent in American society where white people DO BELIEVE they are BETTER AND MORE SOPHISTICATED than others. I understand that this is generalizing and not fair, but, it is my experience.

This goes the other way around as well. Blacks do the same thing. Asians do the same thing. I think that whites get a lot of rap because of the past history of atrocities they have committed, but in todays day and age, this is the truth for almost every people. I think that Whites are in control of the government, but I am speaking in terms of normal people like you and me.

White MALES are in control of the government. And White MALES rule corporate America, as well. THis, in turn, leads to more racism...politics try to blame jobs shortages on "affirmative action" or "illegal immigration". Who are the real culprits? The white aristocrats who are making billions by outsourcing to third world countries where they are exploiting minorities. But, in order to keep the poor down and the beautiful division of wealth they love, they have to redirect. This keeps the poor blaming other nationalities for their misfortune. And the wealthy continue to control policy while noone is looking at them!

(stepping down from my soapbox now)

White MALES are in control of the government. And White MALES rule corporate America, as well. THis, in turn, leads to more racism...politics try to blame jobs shortages on "affirmative action" or "illegal immigration". Who are the real culprits? The white aristocrats who are making billions by outsourcing to third world countries where they are exploiting minorities. But, in order to keep the poor down and the beautiful division of wealth they love, they have to redirect. This keeps the poor blaming other nationalities for their misfortune. And the wealthy continue to control policy while noone is looking at them!

(stepping down from my soapbox now)

Do you know that White people are the poorest people in the United States? A lot of people in the South as well do not take Welfare services for many reasons such as shame, and some do not even get it!

The white aristocrats, this is true.

The "illegal immigration", it does hurt the economy. There are people that do lose jobs because of the fact that illegal workers is more than half the times cheaper. Illegal immigration is also shameful because there are legal immigrants (and i know of one) that has to wait years to even come here, then they have to pay money many times for various reasons as well as to become a citizen. Illegal Immigrants have children here which results in bigger schools, less money, and worse studies for children that have legal parents here and such and such. Illegal immigration does a lot of damage to the economy, and yes they may take the jobs that many do not want, but they also are a reason that many people do not take these jobs as the wages for the jobs are lowered, to cater to such people. Lets be honest, if no one was taking these menial jobs based on the pay, and there were no illegals taking them, the pay would go up for these jobs.

I agree that illegal immigration has it's issues and I'm well enough aware that I know too little about the specifics to comment. I'm just left wondering why all of our American car companies and clothing companies, etc with factories in Mexico aren't paying these individuals more! Illegal immigrants are not moving to America because of it's wonders - they move here because they can make a higher wage here than they can in Mexico. American companies, in my opinion, should be held responsible to some extent for paying a decent wage. They are certainly making enough to extend that profit to the workers in their factories - thus, eliminaing the dire need to riskfully sneak into America.

But, like I said, I shouldn't really expound, because I'm not well versed in all of the issues of immigration and am somewhat impartial given that Watsonville is about 75% Hispanic.

I agree that illegal immigration has it's issues and I'm well enough aware that I know too little about the specifics to comment. I'm just left wondering why all of our American car companies and clothing companies, etc with factories in Mexico aren't paying these individuals more! Illegal immigrants are not moving to America because of it's wonders - they move here because they can make a higher wage here than they can in Mexico. American companies, in my opinion, should be held responsible to some extent for paying a decent wage. They are certainly making enough to extend that profit to the workers in their factories - thus, eliminaing the dire need to riskfully sneak into America.

But, like I said, I shouldn't really expound, because I'm not well versed in all of the issues of immigration and am somewhat impartial given that Watsonville is about 75% Hispanic.

What you say is Americas problem I say is Mexicos (and trust me I am not pro America). Mexico cannot take care of its people, and therefore they go for America. Also remember that without Mexicos approval, US wouldnt even be there. At least making it in Mexico, it gives at least some to its economy better than nothing. But I agree, pay sucks, but this is how you become rich. You cant actually give a decent wage and get rich, its an oxymoron. Unless you hit a jackpot of course or have something that is high in demand.

As for 75% hispanic, its a pretty bad thing down here. Lots of crime rates, mainly hispanics since they are the majority.

I'm just touted my leftist views again...but, I don't blame crime on ethnicity but poverty and poverty is ferocious around here. I moved here from Phoenix (which also has high crime rates) in January, and since then, I have been sexual assualted and robbed. And those two things happened within a month of each other. So, yeah, crime is horrible!

(walk away from the keyboard, tiffaney, go to sleep....)

I don't blame crime rate on poverty. You know what is right from wrong and you cannot blame your enviornment but only yourself. Its just that a high concentration do come from a specific ethnicity, perhaps do to culture, where they do not do child discipline and the such. A lot in the hispanic community do not adhere to child discipline and I even asked a teacher about this because I notice that a lot of them do not discourage there kids and let them climb the restaurant tables, etc. Its a lot to do with culture as well.

I'm learning how little I know everyday so I won't argue that I'm right but surely there are many factors. I believe I robbed as a result of poverty - which, quite frankly sucks because I'm dirt poor, as well! Sexual assualt...ugh...Ugh. I'm going to bed.

Ahh ok good night , you can answer this later if you like. I thought you were born into a middle class family? How is that poor? Plus you have a computer now, and thats definitly not poor talk

Student culture is booze, party, and sex sadly Seeing that there aren't that many mixtures in your area, I take it that you have a low crime rate? Also, is this in England or USA? I know that in England and the rest of Europe has those Chavs and such, which in this case, there could be a high crime rate lol.

Yea that's what student life was, but I wasn't part of it, I was just surrounded by it.

In my area, there are chavs yeah. At night in Yarmouth it's not a nice place, there are frequent stabbings and brawls in and outside clubs and pubs, and car-stereos being stolen etc. It's pretty run-down. The village I live in is okay though, a few minutes' drive from the town in the countryside. There isn't gang warfare or anything like that happening around here. No shootings, and no large-scale violence or anything. Just a bunch of brainless thugs here and there making trouble and making people miserable.

Plain old boring white Heinz-57 middle-class American. My last name is German, and I think I look fairly Germanic, but I'm told that I have more English in me than that. It makes no difference to me, 'cause there's no culture that I relate to, anyway. I don't believe Americans have a culture of their own.

Ahh ok good night , you can answer this later if you like. I thought you were born into a middle class family? How is that poor? Plus you have a computer now, and thats definitly not poor talk

I wouldn't lie about being poor - it's not a prestigous title!

Yes, I was born into a middle class family but since I became "alternative", I am distant from them. Their wealth plays not part in my current situation and I live 3,000 + miles away from all of them.

I do have a computer, one, that I actually built myself from a barebones case...took me over a year to collect all of the necessary technology.

Right now, I am unemployed as I do no speak Spanish and can't afford the classes. Most social service jobs in this area require bilingual ability.

My boyfriend works a very low paying job...and about 1/2 of his income goes to fixing out old/high mileage 1990 Mazda MPV every month.

We live with his family in the country and have to spend insane amounts of money to fuel our car to get into town. We'd like bikes, but, having difficulty affording those too. He's returning to school next week...perhaps we'll use his financial aid to buy bikes and books.

Do you believe me, now?

Being poor does not sound verry nice to me. And if you want to learn Spannish, you can also do that using the internet. I know I learned English from the internet and watching movies without subtitles. And my English be verry good:)

Also, I am 100% Dutch.

I wouldn't lie about being poor - it's not a prestigous title!

Yes, I was born into a middle class family but since I became "alternative", I am distant from them. Their wealth plays not part in my current situation and I live 3,000 + miles away from all of them.

I do have a computer, one, that I actually built myself from a barebones case...took me over a year to collect all of the necessary technology.

Right now, I am unemployed as I do no speak Spanish and can't afford the classes. Most social service jobs in this area require bilingual ability.

My boyfriend works a very low paying job...and about 1/2 of his income goes to fixing out old/high mileage 1990 Mazda MPV every month.

We live with his family in the country and have to spend insane amounts of money to fuel our car to get into town. We'd like bikes, but, having difficulty affording those too. He's returning to school next week...perhaps we'll use his financial aid to buy bikes and books.

Do you believe me, now?

Dang, that is horrible. What part of the USA do you live that requires bilingual for social jobs? I know there are blacks that do social jobs and they aren't bilingual. What about jobs like at Blockbuster or something, that is, if you have one.

Plain old boring white Heinz-57 middle-class American. My last name is German, and I think I look fairly Germanic, but I'm told that I have more English in me than that. It makes no difference to me, 'cause there's no culture that I relate to, anyway. I don't believe Americans have a culture of their own.

Why is it that white people aren't proud to be white? Its pretty odd to tell you the truth. A lot of white people find themselves "plain" as you stated or "boring". Just look, you are German, Germans have a rich history behind them.

Americans do have a culture of their own, such as the American Dream. That pretty much is a culture in and of itself.

Yea that's what student life was, but I wasn't part of it, I was just surrounded by it.

In my area, there are chavs yeah. At night in Yarmouth it's not a nice place, there are frequent stabbings and brawls in and outside clubs and pubs, and car-stereos being stolen etc. It's pretty run-down. The village I live in is okay though, a few minutes' drive from the town in the countryside. There isn't gang warfare or anything like that happening around here. No shootings, and no large-scale violence or anything. Just a bunch of brainless thugs here and there making trouble and making people miserable.

Bah, chavs are just wannabes, they are a hilarious group of fellows.

Why is it that white people aren't proud to be white? Its pretty odd to tell you the truth. A lot of white people find themselves "plain" as you stated or "boring". Just look, you are German, Germans have a rich history behind them.

Americans do have a culture of their own, such as the American Dream. That pretty much is a culture in and of itself.

I am not proud of being white and I'm not ashamed. It's nothing at all. Just like my eye-colour. I'm not proud of having grey eyes, it's neither here nor there.