What are your ethnicities?

kollision

Why is it that white people aren't proud to be white? Its pretty odd to tell you the truth. A lot of white people find themselves "plain" as you stated or "boring". Just look, you are German, Germans have a rich history behind them.

Americans do have a culture of their own, such as the American Dream. That pretty much is a culture in and of itself.

I am not proud of being white and I'm not ashamed. It's nothing at all. Just like my eye-colour. I'm not proud of having grey eyes, it's neither here nor there.

Well it seems to me that a lot of whites are ashamed of being white and wish they were something else, like asian or black. I am proud of what I am (well, one part of me that is).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that white people aren't proud to be white? Its pretty odd to tell you the truth. A lot of white people find themselves "plain" as you stated or "boring". Just look, you are German, Germans have a rich history behind them

I'm not German though, not even German-American. And I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on America having its own culture.

Don't misunderstand me to think that I'm ashamed of being white. I'm not ashamed of, or feel guilty for, being white, American, male, or any other thing that I didn't have any control over. I just don't find it very interesting.

Heres what I am, its in the order of the majority in my blood to the least:

Korean (50 % )

'Oiwi (somewhere in the 40's)

Welsh

German

'Oiwi is aboriginal Hawaiian, the real people that lived there, not all that Asian looking people you see there today sadly (thanks to the media and even them for claiming that they are when they aren't). Basically 'Oiwi is like the other Polynesian islands like Samoa, Tahiti, Aotearoa, etc.

Why is it that white people aren't proud to be white? Its pretty odd to tell you the truth. A lot of white people find themselves "plain" as you stated or "boring". Just look, you are German, Germans have a rich history behind them

I'm not German though, not even German-American. And I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on America having its own culture.

Don't misunderstand me to think that I'm ashamed of being white. I'm not ashamed of, or feel guilty for, being white, American, male, or any other thing that I didn't have any control over. I just don't find it very interesting.

I can agree with you one that, I feel the same way with Koreans.

And I thought you said you were German because you said that you were more english, so I was under the thought that you were part German.

I still think America has its own culture, like every other place has its own culture as well.

sometimes want to be black because when you're black you can have light palms on your hands and soles of the feet, which must be awesome - having two different colours of skin on your body.

I'm not black but I have two different colors of skin - a very lovely farmers tan on my arms and legs.

BTW - I am ashamed of the ignorance of the white people I grew up with - it's not that I'd prefer to be another nationality, per se.

i quote a band to sum up my feelings of Britain:

"I shy away from the flag,

hard to relate to it,

I was born in this country,

Im not a proud of it"

- not in my name, five knuckle.

i dont like most people and would quite hapilly go live on an island with a bunch of cool vegans and forget the world!

im 50:50 British/German btw!

jonathan

sometimes want to be black because when you're black you can have light palms on your hands and soles of the feet, which must be awesome - having two different colours of skin on your body.

I'm not black but I have two different colors of skin - a very lovely farmers tan on my arms and legs.

BTW - I am ashamed of the ignorance of the white people I grew up with - it's not that I'd prefer to be another nationality, per se.

Nationality and ethnicity is different. Nationality is what we all are, American, whilst ethnicity is like race, your genetic makeup.

i quote a band to sum up my feelings of Britain:

"I shy away from the flag,

hard to relate to it,

I was born in this country,

Im not a proud of it"

- not in my name, five knuckle.

i dont like most people and would quite hapilly go live on an island with a bunch of cool vegans and forget the world!

im 50:50 British/German btw!

jonathan

Exactly.

Nationality and ethnicity is different. Nationality is what we all are, American, whilst ethnicity is like race, your genetic makeup.

Oh Kollision...don't chide me! I meant ethnicity, not nationality. YOU know how little I slept last night! I was typing until 6!

Wasn't chiding you, just trying to let you know theres a difference as I used to think it was the same thing. But ya, you were up late, I was up till 7 to 8!

Kollision quoted:

Dang, that is horrible. What part of the USA do you live that requires bilingual for social jobs? I know there are blacks that do social jobs and they aren't bilingual. What about jobs like at Blockbuster or something, that is, if you have one.

Response:

I work SOCIAL SERVICE jobs - meaning, I work for the government or nonprofits...In my most recent job, I administered (ran) a residential apartment setting for women with co-occuring disorders. Meaning, the women living at that setting were considered SMI (mentally ill) and also had substance abuse addictions. I was responsible for daily operation, crisis intervention, general counseling, staff training....

I'd be looking for a similar position or a government position here.

I like here in California - Watsonville. Large Hispanic population. Hence, the need for Spanish language skills.

Kollision quoted:

Dang, that is horrible. What part of the USA do you live that requires bilingual for social jobs? I know there are blacks that do social jobs and they aren't bilingual. What about jobs like at Blockbuster or something, that is, if you have one.

Response:

I work SOCIAL SERVICE jobs - meaning, I work for the government or nonprofits...In my most recent job, I administered (ran) a residential apartment setting for women with co-occuring disorders. Meaning, the women living at that setting were considered SMI (mentally ill) and also had substance abuse addictions. I was responsible for daily operation, crisis intervention, general counseling, staff training....

I'd be looking for a similar position or a government position here.

I like here in California - Watsonville. Large Hispanic population. Hence, the need for Spanish language skills.

When did you move out there to Watsonville? Have you been there for awhile ?

My baby has genetic health issues and was born with a cleft lip and palate, so she's under the care of an awesome team up at Stanford University...so, moving jeopardizes her success right now...not sure where i'd move to...maybe back to phoenix....never back to Pennsylvania.

My baby has genetic health issues and was born with a cleft lip and palate, so she's under the care of an awesome team up at Stanford University...so, moving jeopardizes her success right now...not sure where i'd move to...maybe back to phoenix....never back to Pennsylvania.

Boy, you are in a tight situation.