How far in advance do you buy your food?

Matt

With so many people eating whole foods here, just curious how often you go shopping? Do you shop for food for just the next days, next couple days, week or more?

We find it a big hassle with the two kids to get out regularly, so we buy bulk when possible but some of our diet is still pre-packaged foods, though we go for non-GMO and organic.

We shop about twice per week for food.

We're "unstocking" now - trying to get rid of all of the packaged and processed foods that we've had in the house that we don't want to move with us. After that, we'll be stocking basics in bulk (think rice, beans, dehydrated veggies) - probably through mail order/online - and ultilizing the organic veggies we'll be growing. There is also a great market not far from our "homestead" that we'll occasionally stop at. We won't have electricity nor will we be paying to "refrigerate" things. I don't forsee us "shopping" regularly because we have kids to play with, places to explore and creeks to splash in. Who wants to stand in line?! Back to basics for us.

Previously, though, we shopped several times a week. We have a chain grocery store, bread bakery, fruit/veggie market, greek specialty market, asian market and health food store all within walking distance of our home.

Where in Santa Cruz are you Matt? I moved to Pittsburgh a little over a year ago from Watsonville! I just missed you - left CA as you joined the board!

We're "unstocking" now - trying to get rid of all of the packaged and processed foods that we've had in the house that we don't want to move with us. After that, we'll be stocking basics in bulk (think rice, beans, dehydrated veggies) - probably through mail order/online - and ultilizing the organic veggies we'll be growing. There is also a great market not far from our "homestead" that we'll occasionally stop at. We won't have electricity nor will we be paying to "refrigerate" things. I don't forsee us "shopping" regularly because we have kids to play with, places to explore and creeks to splash in. Who wants to stand in line?! Back to basics for us.

Previously, though, we shopped several times a week. We have a chain grocery store, bread bakery, fruit/veggie market, greek specialty market, asian market and health food store all within walking distance of our home.

Where in Santa Cruz are you Matt? I moved to Pittsburgh a little over a year ago from Watsonville! I just missed you - left CA as you joined the board!

Cool, veganmadre...I'm on the Westside...my wife teaches in Watsonville...too bad you're North, but my wife's sister lives in Oakland, and we visit there about once a month or so...

I buy food daily, but then again, I eat a lot and often eat out.

I go through 10-15 pieces of fruit a day so I'm constantly getting more. I do enjoy going days without spending money on food, but it is rare.

Today I went to Veganopolis for lunch and a burrito place for dinner and I'm also eating fruit, protein bars, oats, vega, etc. that I had at home.

veganmadre...for some reason I thought you meant Pittsburgh in the East SF Bay...near Concord there...not sure why I'm brain dead...

Robert, I took your cue and bought tons of fruit this morning. Going raw for a day. I'll see how long it lasts, but this should up the number of days I go to get food...hehe

I go to that Natural food store every week to week and a half for bulk foods and yummy things like avocados and swiss chard. I go to the regular cheap grocer maybe 3 times a week for bananas, leafy greens, apples and some less important bulk foods that may be cheaper. Its easy to stop by since its directly on my way to school and back to the apartment(maybe 250' away from my apartment door)

No...I try to though. All my bulk is organic, I rarely buy non-organic bananas and I only get organic leafy greens when I go to the natural grocer. The one near my house has organic leafy greens but I don't think they are much better since you have to throw out a plastic bag in the end...plus the price is outrageous. The natural food store had organic everything and none of the leafy greens are bagged.