Looking for advice, going away party Friday..

Jessifly

As some of you know I am moving to Portland in less than 2 weeks, my last day of work is Saturday. I was just informed today by a secretary that there is a going away party being planned for me and another employee at work on Friday. I work in a pharmacy in a chain grocery store. The pharmacy coworkers know I am vegan but they are not the ones throwing the party, the people planning it do not know I'm vegan. The secretary said I need to be there at noon to slice the cake with the other employee. I know what the cake is.. a typical grocery store bakery cake full of lovely chemicals and animal products, our bakery offers nothing close to animal-free. I'm not sure what to do! Refuse to eat any, then face the "oh, come on" pressure? pretend sick? bring my own cake? tell them before the party I won't have any? As an enthusiastic vegan I think I should take this opportunity to educate all of my coworkers on the realities of what is in that cake, but this party is not just for me, another employee is retiring.. I don't want to steal the spotlight and bring down her celebration. ack, my first vegan social dilemma...

I've been in this sort of situation a number of times.

I usually just turn up for the cake cutting then mingle when they are handing out pieces of cake. If one comes my way I'll say I had a big breakfast or I'm watching my waistline. Another option is to take it and then give it to one of your friends who know you are vegan.

Sometimes it's to hard or not worth causing a scene etc to educated everyone on veganism.

Well, you could pretend to be sick or come up with some excuse not to attend... but the decision to become vegan shouldn't have to also be a decision to miss out on social celebrations. You also shouldn't have to bring a cake to your own party.

I think you should definitely approach the party planners ASAP, to avoid any awkward situations at the party. Since you work in a grocery store with a bakery, there's more than one possible easy solution.

I'd approach them with a few vegan cake recipes in hand, and let them know that while you'd love a cake, you are unable to eat any of the ones they sell in the store... but that you've got some suitable recipes for them to try. They've got a bakery and all the ingredients right there in the store. If they don't want to do the whole cake vegan, maybe they can make a separate vegan cake or some vegan cupcakes? Or alternatively, maybe they could put together some sort of fruit tray to serve at the party in addition to the cake, so you (and anyone else who doesn't want to eat crap) have an alternative.

Whatever they choose to do, the fact that you're presenting them with this dilemma and the opportunity to accomodate a vegan at a party will be a bit of education for them. Much moreso than keeping quiet, for sure.

let them know that you're bringing the cake.. ( make sure they know that's you really want that )

try to find the recipe ( or someone ) to make a super vegan cake..

and then, you'll just have to present the cake, and it's going to be up to you to explain why you did this....

The SPCA held a mini party for me and I told them before hand either get a vagan cake or just fruits because I don't agree with it...it should fit SPCA guidelines anyway but of course it doesn't. Anyhow they got a bunch of fruity things and hummus with chips and guac...also one of the volunteers baked cookies that were vegan(since she was vegan:)

Yeah but that still means the cake would be purchased...my biggest goal would be to keep that from happening...then you get people why there is no cake anyway and you can explain why

I've been in this sort of situation a number of times.

I usually just turn up for the cake cutting then mingle when they are handing out pieces of cake. If one comes my way I'll say I had a big breakfast or I'm watching my waistline. Another option is to take it and then give it to one of your friends who know you are vegan.

Sometimes it's to hard or not worth causing a scene etc to educated everyone on veganism.

I gotta agree with sydneyvegan on this one. There are different ways to approach this. However, since you are moving away, you probably want to be discreet to some degree because you probably don't want to burn bridges in this case. I know a guy who was so gung ho about it before he moved back East and he got pissed that people didn't ask him. The last thing his friends around him remember was how he was a jerk on that last day. Now everyone says "good riddance".

This is just my opinion. Some people are comfortable enough saying "I don't care what people think about me being vegan", but I think you do care because you wouldn't be asking the question. Personally, I care what people think because veganism/vegetarianism doesn't define me as a person in and of itself. People admire different things about others, but I like to think it's about honesty, kindness, selflessness, morality, integrity, forthrightness, etc. rather than what I specifically choose to eat and why.

Hope I don't open a can of worms here, but my intention what just to say that "being yourself" is the best thing to do, and be confident and humble in your approach. I think this is what sydneyvegan is saying.

True. Always the reasonable one potter.

Don't worry brother...if your ever in a situation like this I'll take care of you...after all we're blood