Trouble with training

As some of you may know I am a cyclist.

I am 4 weeks into a tough trianing program to get me ready for some really hard races I have coming up.

I am a raw vegan and I am encountering some problems. That is, i am constantly hungry, tired and I am not recovering well from my hard workouts. I know this has to be nutrition related but I am at a loss as to what is missing.

I try to eat as mch as possible but my appetite is not there.

If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

I need to come up with a structured eating plan just like I have a structured training plan.

I have not been doing this raw thing for long, so take my experience with a grain of salt, but I find young coconut to be helpful. That and just blending cold pressed coconut oil in with my shakes.

I need to come up with a more structured eating plan myself, I am currently tracking what I eat (in the blog section) which is a start. My plan is to get blood work done to see what I am missing out and use that and my tracked eating to come up with a plan.

What do you typically eat?

Good luck to you!

Harley, I've been a cyclist for a while and did some heavy racing in the 90's, but I never did it on a raw vegan diet. I think the key here is that you aren't getting enough complex carb calories and your glycogen stores aren't being topped off. Perhaps you aren't getting enough protein, either, but I suspect you simply aren't getting enough of the right stuff when you need to recover.

If possible, I'd go to increasing grains where you can, such as brown rice, millet or quinoa. I know you are raw, but I can't think of too many good options to replenish those glycogen stores other than to just eat more and eat more grains. Unfortunately, these foods usually don't absorb as much as you'd be used to if they were steamed (i.e. cooked), but maybe you can make this one exception to being completely raw. Another option might even be to go with potatoes and let them soak a bit in water.

You might even try getting Brendan Brazier's book The Thrive Diet since he's vegan (and about 90% raw) and he has a formula, as an endurance athlete, that works great for him. I just got the book (it's new), and there's a lot of good info in there, but strictly raw is a little beyond my knowledge.

One more thing to mention...in forums, cross-posting is often a no-no, but I would suggest asking this in the "Raw Food and Lifestyle Discussion" forum as well; you might get some athletes in there with some relevant suggestions.

I think you've just gotta force yourself to eat. You force yourself to ride when you feel terrible so I think you've just gotta take it as another part of training. I never have a problem with my appetite...well I do but its that I have too much of one. Anyway maybe sprouting things like quinoa, amaryth, oat groats, and eating more raw seeds like pumpkin and sunflower may do the trick. I'd think it would be better to increase calories with fruits and things but if you can't bring yourself to do that it doesn't take very much of those other foods to bump up your calories pretty quickly.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I used to eat young coconuts a lot but have stopped in the past 4 months because they are now hard to come by. I will have to keep an eye out for them at the local asian market.

Does Brendans new book include a raw vegan meal plan?

or just suggestions and recipes?

Veganpotter, you are right. I have to force myself to eat more. I sure wish I liked bananas because they are easy to eat. Maybe I should try those red bananas, and see if they taste differently.

oregonisaac, i eat mainly fruit until noon (not enough though. maybe 1 or 2 oranges if i am lucky because i am so busy at work. I will work on increasing this because i am usually very hungry in the morning)

Then a handful of raisins and some almonds at noon.(if i remember to bring them)

At 1pm a bunch of radishes or carrots or cucumbers along with 1 lb of greens.

then at 3pm 1lb of cucumbers or other vegetable.

At 4pm, right before training, a handful of raisins or goji berries with a few almonds.

1 or 2 dates on the bike if I remember to bring them

around 7 - 7:30pm 1lb of greens with hot sauce

around 8:30pm a HUGE salad with everything in it including 1lb of greens, 1lb of broccoli, 1/2lb assorted other veg, 3-4 cups sprouted beans, pumpkin seeds, raisins and maybe 1 or 2 other things.

This is my "schedule" during the week. On the weekends because i ride first thing in the morning eating is much more haphazard

The red ones are different but they must be soft. They often look ripe and are not. I actually like them quite a bit. Small yellow ones are nice too. When they aren't they taste like raw potatoes. As for the book the meal plan is mostly raw and nearly all the recipes have raw options. Also the meal plan is a guide so you can change things up quite a bit. I think the biggest thing you'd benefit from in his diet is maybe his inclusion of high quality oils at nearly every meal.

I second what potter says; now that I've read a bit into the book, I think it would really help you out, Harley.

What the book or the inclusion of high quality oils?

I used to use 3 tb of ground flax seeds in my lunch and dinner salads but have not eaten any in months.

Do you think the book The thrive diet is worth buying?

I mean I really do not want a "diet" book and because of my job I totally am aware of the dangers of processed food so I do not need to read about that. I really am looking for a good resource to help me set up a daily meal plan for raw vegan athletes like myself.

I second what potter says; now that I've read a bit into the book, I think it would really help you out, Harley.

What the book or the inclusion of high quality oils?

I used to use 3 tb of ground flax seeds in my lunch and dinner salads but have not eaten any in months.

Do you think the book The thrive diet is worth buying?

I mean I really do not want a "diet" book and because of my job I totally am aware of the dangers of processed food so I do not need to read about that. I really am looking for a good resource to help me set up a daily meal plan for raw vegan athletes like myself.

It's not so much a "diet" book as a valuable resource. And look at Brendan, he's living proof I'd say. I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

I think its an important book for every health conscience vegan out there...and especially endurance athletes. You'll get a good meal plan from it. As for the info about processed foods its not that long of a read so it won't really waste much of your time. Plus when he does reiterate the problems with these foods he goes into really good and important explanations why pure whole foods are so much better(even compared to mildly processed foods). It is well worth the purchase.

One important thing is that he gives a diet plan for the regular person but also goes into the importance of little changes that may be needed for those who put extra stresses on the body to improve physical performance.

I second, or third, the book. I actually picked it up a little while ago, but just really started reading it. While I am not finished with it yet, it does have enough substance to be a worthwhile read for your situation.

found the book on amazon.ca.

I saved up some money and just ordered it.

I hope you guys are right about it.

I am still constantly tired and worn out from my training.

Actually have not been on the bike since sunday.

then again the 14" of snow we just got does not help

Sometimes bad weather is what helps me the most...especially when I'm over trained like I think I am now(although its purposeful this time). Its the only way I won't ride my bike...anyway I'm sure you'll enjoy the book very much.