vegan burgers at McDonalds?

Rex

What did you think about it's taste???

It's a little on the salty side but it's clearly ok. It's rather spicy (in a good way). During summer when I officiate alot we sometimes end up at "road-side" places and I rather have a McBean for food than dark chocolate and some white bread that is available in a gas station...

Tastewise i'd give it a 3 out of five.

Edited by offense74

I also like the fact that we have a vegan burger at McD in SWEDEN when you don't even have it in the US.

McD in sweden can't really compare to the ones in the States..

But I haven't been into anyone in ages so that mcBean must be rather new...or rather local.

Speaking of Gothenburg, I'll visit a good friend of mine on saturday, I'm leaving moday. What do you say we eat that falafel together? I don't think I can convince my friend of having one though but it woul dbe fun with a quick fika

Speaking of Gothenburg, I'll visit a good friend of mine on saturday, I'm leaving moday. What do you say we eat that falafel together? I don't think I can convince my friend of having one though but it woul dbe fun with a quick fika

Oh, ok.

But you're a girl

Just kidding, I pm'd you

Oh, ok.

But you're a girl

Just kidding, I pm'd you

Hahaha - yeah I'm a girl. Promise I wont come onto you It wouldn't work anyways lol

Besides - I don't date

Got yer pm - see ye saturday.

Mmmm, falafel. Mmmm....

Please take & post pictures! Primarily of Gothenburg, secondarily of the food & if ya really want to - then of ya'll as well.

Liz, why would it work & why dont ya date?

pd. please be sure to mail me one of yr swedish falafel sandwichs so that I can do a taste test comparison with US falafels. Just make sure that its still hot when it arrives.

Liz...why dont ya date?

Long story. I just don't.

When the right person comes along, I'll honour that with friendship for a year or so - by then I should know him well enough... To get access to my heart you have to go through my soul. That usually takes a while.

I've been through hell and I don't want to go there again.

So I'm being cautious.

And a tad old fashioned.

But it's good! It keeps the psychos away.

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't like to give those fast food chains my money. That's it for me. But if I'm stuck somewhere and all I have to choose from is a fast food chain with a vegan option, I'm going to eat my vegan burger.

• 1 month later...

I have a personal moral opposition to eating at McDonald's. It's been years since I've bought anything there. There was something about them outright lying about 1) the beef flavoring in their fries and 2) the dairy and wheat in their fries that just rubs me the wrong way. I don't want to support a company like that, regardless of what they do and do not sell. Not to mention the fact that I would never trust that their vegan burger was in fact vegan.

Liz...why dont ya date?

Long story. I just don't.

When the right person comes along, I'll honour that with friendship for a year or so - by then I should know him well enough... To get access to my heart you have to go through my soul. That usually takes a while.

I've been through hell and I don't want to go there again.

So I'm being cautious.

And a tad old fashioned.

But it's good! It keeps the psychos away.

I agree with this and am following along the same lines. Im sticking to the same philosophy right now, as I just came off a real harsh breakup experience. no dating for me either.

...we should start a super duper vegan non daters club. we can make t-shirts. and have meetings. with punch and pie.

That would probably be the best place to meet other vegans for dating.

...we should start a super duper vegan non daters club. we can make t-shirts. and have meetings. with punch and pie.

That would probably be the best place to meet other vegans for dating.

HAHAHA! Dammit! then we should all stay in our current locations. possibly in fetal position. and stop brushing our teeth.

Then you can start a group for vegans that don't like dating that aren't happy about it and have bad breath. This way unhappy vegans that don't like dating and have bad breath can find others like them to date.

Hey I'm just looking out for you. Even bad breath vegans need lovin too

stinky, stinky loving.

anyways, back to mcdonalds. I ate a vegan burger at one a few years ago at the beginning of my veganism just for the novelty of it. It's cool to see options tho. that maybe the message of vegetarianism is starting to reach a more mainstream audience. just being on the menu i think it might make a few people think. the BK veggie is still going strong. it aint vegan tho i think they use morningstar patties now.

Yeah I think its a good thing. At the very least it will temporarily fill the belly of an omnivore and keep them off meat until the next meal comes around.

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, what is more important:

Getting McDonalds to have vegan alternatives

or

Spending your money in an independent healthfood shop which already has dozens of vegan items

Wordlife.

People supporting McD's might well make the independent stores go bust.... as it has done for many independent businesses so far.... but it's extremely unlikely that the opposite would happen any time soon.

If a sizeable numbers of vegans are choosing to eat vegan food specifically at McD's or other heavily abusive junk-production corporations, that might result in little demand for such things among smaller restaurants.... and those places might then resultantly stop selling vegan food....

The smaller restaurants might start to provide a noticeable quantity of vegan food if a sizeable number of vegans eat there, while chances are that McD's would never go down that route.

Is there any evidence that omnivores are being given a positive image of veganism by the reputedly sketchy McD's vegan burgers ?

Do they eat them, or do only vegans eat them, usually ... if ever ?

Are they classic 'nasty vegan food' of the sort which "proves" to flesh eaters that vegans are under-gobblers, and do fleah-eaters who eat a McD's vegan burger stop after that, or do they typically go on to satisfy their bloodlust (or whatever) by eating a slab of flesh as well, since 'they just don't feel satisfied or full up otherwise' ?

I imagine that many of the typical flesh-enthusiasts who eat vegan burgers at McD's are doing so to in order to humour a vegan friend, and are likely to go on to mock the product liberally to any flesh-eaters who will listen, in order to gather 'cool flesh head' points.

It is also clear to me that many people are astonishingly greedy - they can polish off a 10,000 calorie breakfast and might down 30,000 calories in a day.

Considering that a sane person would consume about 2,000 calories a day i hope people here can appreciate why i have profound scepticism when trying to buy into the "every vegan meal which they eat, always represents a flesh meal less which they eat" approach.... it is no doubt an uplifting one, but when i look at the facts used as the basis for it, i just can't find it to be convincing.....

I imagine that to many people of this sort, eating a McD's vegan burger is the gastronomic equivalent of me eating a slice of melon as an appetiser..... ie, really not the sort of thing which will slow them down much, or leave much of a dent in their onward charge of flesh consumption.

No doubt there would be some quantity of people, who would indeed eat a vegan burger instead of a flesh burger and who would go on to eat less flesh that day overall as a result of that..... and if they obtain the vegan burgers from ethically and morally reasonable sources i see that as a good thing.... but to be supportive of those choosing to finance MCD's with consumerism and painting their choice to do that as a good thing, by saying things like "by definition, vegans buying stuff from McD's to eat is great", seems inappropriate to me, especially in a vegan forum.

Here is an analogy -

John sells cakes for £10 each, and uses the money to buy imported child slaves for £10 each including delivery, then uses them to do heavy labour in neglectful conditions.

If i choose to buy cakes from John...

How much should it matter that he will use the £10 to buy a child slave, and that i am fully aware of that while buying his cakes ?

And comparatively, how much should it matter to me, whether or not he used an egg while baking it ?

Ideally, i would rather he use no egg and did not buy the child slave.... but if he does not use an egg, then should that cause it to be viewed as appaludable and a great thing for me to be buying those cakes ?

If i do not buy his cakes, perhaps he will start putting eggs in them..... I could use that as the rationalisation for my decision..... but would that make it ethically or morally okay ?

Would it be equally as acceptable if my approach is one where I emphasise and focus on the perceived benefits of doing so, while trivialising or dismissing the ethical negative implications ?

So, if they are non-human slaves rather than child slaves..... should that be viewed any differently ?