Pain in the a$$

offense74

Ok, so I will be at VV'07. I've paid the $100 to the paypal account. After the VV I want to go for a few days to Vancouver, Canada and after that I will go a few days to Chicago before I return home.

Puzzling it all together is a serious pain in the ass...

I need help with a few things though:

Do I need some special visa to get into Canada?

Bus ticket from Portland to Vancouver. How do I get one?

As I understand public tranportation is good in both Chicago and Vancouver and thus I don't have to take the fanciest of hotels but are there any areas that is downright dangerous to be in?

I'll answer what I can. You need a passport to travel to Canada, no visa necessary.

If you are traveling from Portland to Vancouver and are considering traveling by train, then here is a good resource. (It's $84 for a roundtrip ticket, 3.5 hours to Seattle with a layover then 3.75 hours to Vancouver):

http://www.ehow.com/how_2025079_train-portland-vancouver.html

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

If going by bus, then try this link (It's over $90 for a roundtrip ticket and takes 8 hours or longer):

http://www.greyhound.com/home.asp

Unless you truly prefer traveling by bus, I would take the train. But I've had some really bad bus experiences. The train ride will certainly have much nicer scenery, unless you consider highway travel with thousands of smog-belching SUVs to be scenic. I haven't taken the train on this coast, however train travel is much nicer than bus travel on the east coast. It appears that you can pick up tickets at the station rather than have them mailed to you.

Hopefully, someone who lives in Chicago or Vancouver will be able to help you with the dangerous areas. Overall, Vancouver is safer than Chicago in my experience.

Happy travels.

Thats awesome news Offense74!!!

I'm happy that you'll be able to make it for VV'07 & also be able to travel around a bit too. As DV wrote, you do not need a visa to enter Canada - according to the Canadian Immigration website. I would expect far more hassles coming into the US...

I also second DV's suggestion to take Amtrak - I have a buy-one get-one free coupon if ya want to take someone with ya from Portland to Vancouver. I also strongly suggest taking a ferry whenever you can - if nothing else, take the one from Seattle across to the Olympic peninsula. It offers awesome views of Seattle & the mountains.

Any objection to staying in hostels? If I was traveling by myself, that's what I'd mostly do if I wasnt staying with folks or camping. http://www.hostels.com/en/n.america.html

Are ya planning to fly or take a train from Vancouver to Chicago? I cant speak to Chicago except to say that I've heard that it does have some very rough areas & some very corrupt cops...

As for Vancouver, I'd be particularly careful around the East Hastings / Chinatown area, esp. at night. It's really not that bad but it's as bad as Vancouver gets apparently. I've also heard that Surrey, a suburb east of Vancouver, can get rough.

Pretty much all left coast cities, towns & even rural areas have at least bus service. Seattle's transit system includes buses, ferries & a short elevated rail line. Of course, Portlands transit system is probably the best but anyway...

Thanks all!

Here's the plan for the offense US tour '07:

10 days in Portland for VV'07

Train to Seattle

1,5 days in Seattle

Train to Vancouver, Canada

2,5 days in Vancouver

Flying to Chicago

2,5 days in Chicago

Flying back home again.

So far I've only booked all the transfers and not the hotels. I think I will put a little extra on hotel in Chicago and maybe a little less in Vancouver and Seattle since it seems like it's easier to get into a bad neighbourhood in Chicago.

I'll have a hellish flight to the US. I'll be starting from Gothenburg at 6 something in the morning. Fly to Paris. Fly to Detriot. Fly to Chicago. Fly to Portland. I'll be in Portland at 1 am on the 28th. It will be 28hrs from start to finish . Can someone pick me up at the airport?

Sounds like a fun trip Offense74! Do ya have a specific reason for visiting Chicago? If it was me, I'd save the windy city for a different time & spend more time out here in Cascadia instead.

Oh yeah, I can probably pick ya up at PDX.

Last year when I was visiting I was kinda bummed that we didn't get to Chicago. I've heard both good and bad things about Chicago but it's on my to do list.

I would also like to visit Texas sometime since I've seen pictures of the nature there that are beautiful and also for the armadillos .

We just have to see if I can get over there again before peak oil hits hard...

I'll have a hellish flight to the US. I'll be starting from Gothenburg at 6 something in the morning. Fly to Paris. Fly to Detriot. Fly to Chicago. Fly to Portland. I'll be in Portland at 1 am on the 28th. It will be 28hrs from start to finish .

Holy shit!!!

I hope that/them ticket/s was/were CHEAP. That's a LOT of takeoffs and landings - and a LOT of time!!!!!

You better bring a book. Or two. Or three LOL

Ok, so I will be at VV'07. I've paid the $100 to the paypal account. After the VV I want to go for a few days to Vancouver, Canada and after that I will go a few days to Chicago before I return home.

Puzzling it all together is a serious pain in the ass...

I need help with a few things though:

Do I need some special visa to get into Canada?

Bus ticket from Portland to Vancouver. How do I get one?

As I understand public tranportation is good in both Chicago and Vancouver and thus I don't have to take the fanciest of hotels but are there any areas that is downright dangerous to be in?

Chicago you want to not be caught on the West Side after dark. Not a fun place to be. Also the South Side after noon on friday is a little insane. The party starts early down there. Thursday they get government monday and they're high through the weekend. Sunday is fine. You should go to the south side though and go to Soul Vegetarian East. As long as you don't go at night you will be fine. Just be wary of the South Side and West Side and you'll be ok. There are still some nice neighborhoods both South and West. If you just pay attention to your surroundings you'll be able to tell(or even feel in the air) when it gets shady.

If you know where you're staying specifically i could probably tell you how that neighborhood is.

I'll have a hellish flight to the US. I'll be starting from Gothenburg at 6 something in the morning. Fly to Paris. Fly to Detriot. Fly to Chicago. Fly to Portland. I'll be in Portland at 1 am on the 28th. It will be 28hrs from start to finish .

Holy shit!!!

I hope that/them ticket/s was/were CHEAP. That's a LOT of takeoffs and landings - and a LOT of time!!!!!

You better bring a book. Or two. Or three LOL

Alot of time will be spent on Detroit airport, which is a good thing since my visit to Iran is still visible in my passport. It could take awhile...

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the hotels I've booked:

Seattle:

Mediterranean Inn

425 Queen Anne Ave N

SEATTLE 98109

Usa

Vancouver:

Bosmans Hotel

1060 Howe St

VANCOUVER V6Z1P5

Kanada

Chicago:

Congress Plaza Hotel

520 S Michigan Ave

CHICAGO 60605

Usa

They were fairly cheap and seemed to be in pretty good places...