High Intensity Training (HIT)

Does anyone out there regularly train using HIT (high intensity training) principles?

The approach I am thinking of is akin to that aspoused by the late Mike Mentzer and Arthur Jones (Nautilus founder).

They recommend performing a single set of a few movements to failure, using a very slow count (2-5 seconds up, 4-5 seconds down....per rep).

They also recommend exercising as infrequently as possible to maximize recover time (maximum of twice per week, to as little as one per week or less).

I have been using this method of training for the past month and I have seen good gains (my strength has increased more in the past 30 days than in the past 3 months).

Wondering how others have fared.

There was a thread about this a while back. I haven't been training as much as I'd like (with weights, I've been walking and doing lots of other things though), but when I am really lifting, I split my body into 3 workouts and try to work each spot 2 times a week (sometimes a certain area might only get one workout a wee), but I found that with eating right, and the fact that I'm only 22, I can get away with doing this and manage to pack on muscle and gain strength pretty well.

I've made a brief attempt at this in the past and I simply don't like it because I love training so much. It also didn't seem to work for me but it has obviously worked for others...however I don't know a single top level athlete that gets away with training so little.

I've made a brief attempt at this in the past and I simply don't like it because I love training so much. It also didn't seem to work for me but it has obviously worked for others...however I don't know a single top level athlete that gets away with training so little.

For me it's not about training so little, but I love training consistently, and I rest and eat well enough that I can train a bodypart 2 times a week.

Yeah the whole idea behind the rest thing is that you train to failure and near your max weight and intensity so by the time your finished you will need the rest and if you don't then you didn't train hard enough...that's the whole premise.

The courts still out for me on this I found it hard to keep pounding out the heavy weights and make continous progress, I found that I simply used so much weight that I could barely get 5 reps out.

Other than that I like the whole intensity thing.

Here's some links:

http://www.naturalstrength.com/research/detail.asp?ArticleID=207

http://www.baye.com/articles/high_intensity_training.php

Edited by Bigbwii

don't do this. lifting weights slowly will make your central nervous system adapt and thus make you slow. when you try to lift weights (or do other activities that involve strength and coordination) at regular speed you will be shocked by the difference (and how the training didn't translate into desired results). there are much better ways to train. hypertrophy, bodypumping, slow-lifting.......all pretty much useless.

Best Results I ever got was from Full Body training 3X a week, with no rest in between exercises. The other 3 days I would do HIIT Cardio... (Sunday was my off day)

I only used free weights and took 2-5 minutes to rest after each set. 3 sets of 6-8 different Exercises... Switch it up every 3 weeks and enjoy the pay off...

I never worked to failure with each exercise and always picked weights that were challenging, but allowed me to finish my 6-8-10 reps I was shooting for... Then just keep adding weight as you improve. My goal each day of weights was finishing in around 20-30 minutes...

If you want to get cut/lean and gain some good lean muscle I find this is the best way!!! I made my own programs and I have not looked at most of the crazy HIT programs some people talk about? - Although mine might be considered crazy HA-HA - I don't know!!!

I know my way of training is HIT or considered HIT, but I never knew HIT involved training to failure!!!

Cheers,

Steve

Best Results I ever got was from Full Body training 3X a week, with no rest in between exercises. The other 3 days I would do HIIT Cardio... (Sunday was my off day)

I only used free weights and took 2-5 minutes to rest after each set. 3 sets of 6-8 different Exercises... Switch it up every 3 weeks and enjoy the pay off...

I never worked to failure with each exercise and always picked weights that were challenging, but allowed me to finish my 6-8-10 reps I was shooting for... Then just keep adding weight as you improve. My goal each day of weights was finishing in around 20-30 minutes...

If you want to get cut/lean and gain some good lean muscle I find this is the best way!!! I made my own programs and I have not looked at most of the crazy HIT programs some people talk about? - Although mine might be considered crazy HA-HA - I don't know!!!

I know my way of training is HIT or considered HIT, but I never knew HIT involved training to failure!!!

Cheers,

Steve

Yeah I used to love doing HIT back in the day, but I always ran out of weights, there's so many variations, some go to failure some don't, some rest a week some don't....I always used to train to failure but I don't think that it was good for me or made that much of a difference muscle wise.

I think it's all about customising and adapting it to suit your style because I don't think that there's one size fits all routine that will do it all for you.