natural birth control??

Is there a more healthy natural birth control a womyn can take?

If so, what is it?

All the BC I know of is harsh chemicals, and while it helps to prevent having a kid and helps with acne, its pretty unhealthy on the body.

so if any womyn can help me out with this, that be fantastic.

I'm trying to find out for my girlfriend (she doesnt have a computer right now to research it), so any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

Edited by Hero

The only forms of birth control that do not affect a woman's natural hormonal cycle are:

Barrier methods - condoms, vaginal sleeve, diaphragm

Surgical methods - sterilization (probably not an option for you two right now)

Intra-uterine device - not recommended for women who are young and have not had children

If there was a dependable, natural form of birth control then my sisters and I would not have been born!

Seriously, if you will not consider a spermicidal agent, then the barrier method is probably your best (but not perfect) bet. A condom (male or female) or diaphragm used with a spermicide is just about as effective as birth control pills. Don't trust any "natural" methods unless there are good studies to back them up. And if you hear about any, I'd be very interested in knowing what they are.

Also, the Rythm Method has produced many unplanned pregnancies.

i'm not a girl but my wife has been using this form of birth control for several years without error. it's called the maybemom and it's really easy to use as long as you don't mind missing for a few days out of the month during ovulation.

maybemom dot com

we have a basal temp one too but that requires some serious effort and consistency daily to be effective. this thing you just lick and wait 60 seconds to dry and check for the fern like crystals which show soon ovulation. 98% effective and then to be really safe combine that with having some self control for when and where you go (sorry to be frank).

I know a couple that was married for 4 years...they used this method to avoid pregnancy and then to get pregnant. Then they went back to it for 12 yrs and decided to have another kid...it only took three months to get pregnant. I think they used a buffer period...a day or two before and after the actual fertile period just to be safe.

I've met numerous couples who have used that same method of birth control. And they are now parents. Your body can appear to be ovulating based on temperature, passage of time since your last period, etc. but these "symptoms" of ovulation are not 100% the same every month. That method is "up to 98%" effective if used perfectly. Most of us are far from perfect, so I would only use that method in conjunction with something else.

this method doesn't use body temperature or a calendar cycle. did you check the site dv? i'm going on 4 years too.

also remind you condoms are not 100% effective... so while 98% isn't as good - when this is used carefully and combined with another minor form of birth control like the many available or just pulling out then it stacks some odds in your favor.

let's not forget only a couple days per month a sperm has the opportunity to take a 45 minute slaughtering in an acid bath if it even gets in at all. it's pretty much a miracle when using some sense.

although, most of my friends will agree getting wasted and passing out on top of and in your date every night with a beer in your hand is not very effective.

Yes, I did check out the site - very interesting. I have friends who have used it in combination with temperature readings, etc. It hasn't been successful for all of them but some have been very happy with it. Also, it is advertised as a CONCEPTION aide, not a contraception aide. Very important distinction in my mind. The problem, as I see it, is that sperm can stay alive in a woman's uterus sometimes longer than usual (call these the Super sperm if you will) and will therefore be present if a woman begins ovulating sooner than expected (which can happen to anyone). For that reason alone, if a couple really does not want a pregnancy then a second method should be used as well.

I'm not bashing any particular form of birth control but rather stressing that they all have varying levels of effectiveness regardless of how well they are applied.

Do other stuff that you both like, besides vaginal intercourse Just a thought! No riskz there. I don't know how there could be a 'natural' birth control, given that that's an 'unnatural' desire, nature would have us having kids left right and centre. So you're asking the body to do an unnatural thing really, if you're putting something in there which stops the cycle or interferes. By not having sex, there isn't that concern.

Yes, I did check out the site - very interesting. I have friends who have used it in combination with temperature readings, etc. It hasn't been successful for all of them but some have been very happy with it. Also, it is advertised as a CONCEPTION aide, not a contraception aide. Very important distinction in my mind. The problem, as I see it, is that sperm can stay alive in a woman's uterus sometimes longer than usual (call these the Super sperm if you will) and will therefore be present if a woman begins ovulating sooner than expected (which can happen to anyone). For that reason alone, if a couple really does not want a pregnancy then a second method should be used as well.

I'm not bashing any particular form of birth control but rather stressing that they all have varying levels of effectiveness regardless of how well they are applied.

they say for use with conception because this is very popular with religious couples whos beliefs does not allow them to use artificial birth control. most of the people i know do it for these reasons and not for the health reasons like my wife does. yes the instructions talk of sperm in the uterus for up to 48 hours and takes that all into consideration for proper use.

I think its a crazy reason to do it. The couple I know do it for religious reasons as well but no matter what its still birth control. I think if your religious and don't want kids...simply don't have sex if your not willing to use condoms.

Ahhh, religion. I was married in the catholic church and had to go to pre-cana (?) classes where we got some very specific instructions on sex and birth control - from the priest, of course. It seems that the rythm method is condoned by the catholic church and heterosexual sex is encouraged even if you are not planning on conceiving (so long as you are married and using no birth control other than the rythm method). Perhaps the maybemom.com method is now also condoned by the church but I got married before it became popular.

However, and I quote because this statement was burned into my memory, "Oral sex is not permitted as a form of birth control." You are all free to extrapolate from there.

"Rhythm (Calendar) Method is a much less effective natural birth control method. It predicts a woman’s fertile days using calculations based on the length of past cycles and not daily observations of fertility signs as used by FAM/NFP. The Standard Days Method/Cycle Bead Systemis a variation of the Rhythm Method. These are the least effective natural birth control methods and are not generally recommended."

There is a list of more 'natural' birth control options here (which is where that quote was taken from).

http://www.sexualityandu.ca/adults/contraception-2-16.aspx

But I don't recommend any of them

Yeah I do think thats really weird...they would do anything if the Pope gave the OK. It just doesn't make sense. If its even remotely effective its still birth control. Anyway my church(no longer with it of course) doesn't stand for any sexual contact unless your trying to have kids.

WOW! Hot Topic....

The only way to assure you won't get pregnant is abstinence! There are many other forms of birth control but they all have a chance of not working. Ya just gotta use what ya choose and hope for the best, and be ready to deal with the outcome,even if it is not the one ya wanted.

I was told by a DR. that I would not be able to get pregnant, I even had unprotected sex with out getting pregnant several times....but them one day I got pregnant and now I have 3 kiddos! It did not take much for me to get pregnant with them either! I sometimes think it was the combination of me and my partner, that was potent or something...

Kudos to you all for looking for natural methods though,

BC is usually pretty funky for your body.

If ya never wanna have kids, then I think Vasectomy is the best way to go!

Why? It is a simple proceedure and much easier for men than women...They cut the vas deferens so that the semen can not be "loaded" with sperm.

It makes life alot easier!

For some other medical reasons my wife needs to take the pill hence I have not gone ahead with the chop. If my wife was not on the pill then I would have gone aleady As things stand me getting the chop won't benefit us in anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say - abstinance is *not* always the answer. Come on folks.... beliefs aside - this is a good question!

NEEM LEEF go to the sister zeus website - they will tell you all about it. Like, the pill, you do have to be faithful with it and give it a few weeks to get into your system.

Here are the best parts:

*MEN - can take it as their "pill" pressure on the ladies!! (what my dh did!) for this you use neem leaf powder.

*WOMEN - same as above!

- also Neem SEED oil is a great spermacide.... but it DOES NOT smell good... some add lavender oil to it... but..... we went with the man pill!

*BOTH - NO BAD SIDE EFFECTS! you want to get preg? just stop doing it... AND, no sexual side effects!

A PLUS - It is a great immunity enhancer!

But, you better watch out! It's the pharmaceutical company's enemy - so don't expect your dr. to recommend or support it!

• 2 weeks later...
I gotta say - abstinance is *not* always the answer. Come on folks.... beliefs aside - this is a good question!

NEEM LEEF go to the sister zeus website - they will tell you all about it. Like, the pill, you do have to be faithful with it and give it a few weeks to get into your system.

Here are the best parts:

*MEN - can take it as their "pill" pressure on the ladies!! (what my dh did!) for this you use neem leaf powder.

*WOMEN - same as above!

- also Neem SEED oil is a great spermacide.... but it DOES NOT smell good... some add lavender oil to it... but..... we went with the man pill!

*BOTH - NO BAD SIDE EFFECTS! you want to get preg? just stop doing it... AND, no sexual side effects!

A PLUS - It is a great immunity enhancer!

But, you better watch out! It's the pharmaceutical company's enemy - so don't expect your dr. to recommend or support it!

I figured nature has a bunch of stuff like this.. out there.. I guess Pharma & Condom companies are not going to be too happy if someone figures this one out.