Portland/Eugene Help

bpmojo

Hi guys!

Im going to be going on a SEIM bike tour (http://democracybike.com/) of Oregan from the 11th-18th and I have a bit of downtime in Eugene (10-11th) and a bit more in Portland (night of 18th- mid 21st) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of superawesome things to do.

I know that there are tons of vegan/(raw?) eateries, So mabye your even your suggested dish at a certain place?

I'm going to be staying at the Hawthorne Hostel ( http://portlandhostel.org/index.html) in portland and the Eugene International Hostel ( http://eugenehostel.com/index.html) so as far as location if that makes a difference of things being closer to me?

thanks in advance!

-ben

I can't think of any Raw places in Eugene. If you're looking for regular non-raw vegan fares there's plenty of options. Café Yumm on 18th & Willamette and Pizza Research Institute on 13th & Lawrence are tasty. In Portland there a wide variety of vegan options. Blossoming Lotus is a favorite of a lot of people on the boards. Robert and other portlanders would have a better idea of raw places in Portland. Gabriel might know of some raw options in Eugene. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

there is some great food here in PDX. The Harthorne Hostel seems nice, it is a great location. We live pretty close to it. We should have a forum get together when you get into town, so we can all meet!

Eugene is great too. I think the Hostel you are staying at is in the Whitaker neighborhood, which is a nice area. I like Eugene a lot. Pizza Research Instisute is the best pizza place! I like the Keystone for breakfast.

Hi guys!

Im going to be going on a SEIM bike tour (http://democracybike.com/) of Oregan from the 11th-18th and I have a bit of downtime in Eugene (10-11th) and a bit more in Portland (night of 18th- mid 21st) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of superawesome things to do.

I know that there are tons of vegan/(raw?) eateries, So mabye your even your suggested dish at a certain place?

I'm going to be staying at the Hawthorne Hostel ( http://portlandhostel.org/index.html) in portland and the Eugene International Hostel ( http://eugenehostel.com/index.html) so as far as location if that makes a difference of things being closer to me?

thanks in advance!

-ben

Off the top of my head the closest raw food having place to the hostel is the daily grind which is on 42nd and hawthorne - so about 12 blocks east. It's a vegetarian/natural foods store with lots of organic produce and some raw stuff too.

If your on a bike anyway you can swing by Blossoming Lotus...it'll take you ten-15 minutes on a bike and if you go after 5(I think) you can just get a table outside and sit near your bike. If you go before you've gotta get in line and order...after 5 they wait tables.

forum meet-up sounds awesome!

right now im at the brownsville public library during lunch break on our way to an organic farm. I'll be in portland saturday night, so anytime before tuesday morning I'd love to meet up or whathaveyou. just let me know (may not be able to get online again till portland?)

In eugene i ate at pizza reseach institute and got the p3 (pear, potatoa, pesto ) pizza and it was awesome!!. also really enjoyed sundance natural foods (awesome seitan mole + almond tahini tempeh and a few raw things) and also went to the sweet life bakery/cafe every night..loved it there. had coconut bliss for the first time-very tasty.

rolled into portland in the late afternoon and partook in hawthorne fest (Day?) and the sun-powered music festival-already loving this city!

Anytime or place (relativly) is good for me- blossoming lotus sounds espeically tasty so mabye there for dinner sunday or monday night work for anyone else?

anyway my cell phone is 281-467-3514 so if we want to try to set it up on here or cell phones is good by me.

hope to meet you soon!

-ben

Hey Ben,

There is a vegan potluck Sunday night if you're interested in hanging out with 20-50 other vegans.

Glad you are loving Portland! I wish I would have known about the Hawthorne Street Festival. The cool thing about Portland is that there is some progressive, cool, veggie, organic or otherwise interesting festival going on all the time, sometimes 3 different ones during the same weekend with similar themes.

Here is the info about the Sunday Potluck. I plan on being there.

August 19, 5:00 pm, Potluck, Food Prep Demo, and Sampling

Join Northwest VEG at the West Hills Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 8470 SW Oleson Road in Portland on Sunday, August 19, at 5:00 pm for its monthly vegetarian potluck. Please bring a vegan or vegetarian main dish, salad or dessert, a card listing its ingredients, and plates and utensils for your use. If you come alone, figure the amount to serve 4-6; increase the amount 4 servings for each additional person in your party/family. Northwest VEG potlucks are alcohol-free events. For more information call (503) 224-7380 or email [email protected]. A donation of $2-5 per person is suggested to help cover the cost of the room rental and our speaker's food costs. After the meal, Grant Dixon will provide a cooking demo with small samples for those attending. He is owner and founder of Pappa G's Vegan Organics serving vegan comfort food at Daily Grind Natural Foods on Hawthorne. He will present a few of the entree items featured at Pappa G's. These delicious, organic vegan offerings such as Heirloom Tomato Salad and Sesame Tofu and Quinoa will delight your palate and showcase the best of the Northwest's local and seasonal produce.

P.S. My cell is 541-231-6269

Feel free to get in touch and PM other Portland members too. Enjoy our town!

thanks to everyone for hanging out with me while i was in town~!

it was awesome to meet you all and to have such a supportive community.( It was kinda like my own little mini vegan vacation haha. )

special thanks to robert for driving me to the airport this morning and all the free vega- I had one of the snack packs on the plane with the little cups and bottled water they give out, the guy next to me looked kinda wierded out when i was mixing it up with that little coffee straw they give you hehe

p.s.

robert could barely finish his 3 pancakes..what a wittttllle babbiiiii

p.p.s.

lotus and loveliberate -your kids are superrr cute.

p.p.s. check out the recipe section for a lil contest I'm holding.