Hunting

tommybricks

When I was a kid I always wanted to go hunting. I fished everyday during the summer. I still feel like it would be way better for people to go out and hunt for their meat if they choose to eat it. Personally, I'd rather look around for some blackberries, but if I had to eat meat I would find and kill the animal myself. Even better if I could chase down and catch a rabbit and kill it with my teeth, my parent's dogs can do that -- thus they eat meat and I don't.

...I still feel like it would be way better for people to go out and hunt for their meat if they choose to eat it...

people won't do that, and hunters, in my experience, are by and large scum bags.

i lived in the mountains of WV for several years, and the noble hunters frequently poached on our property - until we started shooting back and word got around. also we'd often find dead does and bucks on the crest of the hill, where hunters on the highway saw them and just figured it'd be fun to kill them. we also twice had bucks taking refuge on our land with arrows embedded in them from asshats who shot them, didn't kill them, and were too lazy to stalk them.

hunting for meat is wrong. raising livestock for meat is equally wrong.

...I still feel like it would be way better for people to go out and hunt for their meat if they choose to eat it...

people won't do that, and hunters, in my experience, are by and large scum bags.

i lived in the mountains of WV for several years, and the noble hunters frequently poached on our property - until we started shooting back and word got around. also we'd often find dead does and bucks on the crest of the hill, where hunters on the highway saw them and just figured it'd be fun to kill them. we also twice had bucks taking refuge on our land with arrows embedded in them from asshats who shot them, didn't kill them, and were too lazy to stalk them.

Hunting for meat within the context of our civilization is wrong. Nomadic tribes and indigenous cultures hunting for meat, is not only perfectly fine, it is also the most sustainable way to live.

That's ing and sad. I figure given the choice to not kill animals for food I should jump at the opportunity, but if things were different and I didn't have the choice, I'd rather be directly responsible for killing my food than pass the job onto someone else.

Word.

That's ing and sad. I figure given the choice to not kill animals for food I should jump at the opportunity, but if things were different and I didn't have the choice, I'd rather be directly responsible for killing my food than pass the job onto someone else.

That's just wrong.

I would still choose to live off plants. And instead I would share my food with the animals.

That's just wrong. I would still choose to live off plants. And instead I would share my food with the animals.

Tasha, are ya familiar enough with wild edible's here in Cascadia to live off of them? I'd love to learn how to do that!

No I'm not.. what is edible's in Cascadia?

Tasha,

I'm unclear on whether ya were asking what I meant by the terms I used or what plants in nature are safe to eat (wild edibles) in our bio-region ( Cascadia: http://www.cascwild.org/cascadia.html ). I am certainly not yet familiar enough with Cascadia's wild edible's to feel comfortable with my ability to live off of them as my sole source of nutrition. I definitely want to be but until that point and in the famed hypothetical "what if?" situation, I certainly would not starve rather than eat animals, eggs, etc.

Tasha,

I'm unclear on whether ya were asking what I meant by the terms I used or what plants in nature are safe to eat (wild edibles) in our bio-region ( Cascadia: http://www.cascwild.org/cascadia.html ). I am certainly not yet familiar enough with Cascadia's wild edible's to feel comfortable with my ability to live off of them as my sole source of nutrition. I definitely want to be but until that point and in the famed hypothetical "what if?" situation, I certainly would not starve rather than eat animals, eggs, etc.

Oh I see what you mean... Okay in a what if? Would you graze off an fruit tree for the rest of your life or would you hunt down animals for food?

I just think there's always a good solution to every situation.

I think this is funny how we came across this subject..

Nomadic tribes and indigenous cultures hunting for meat, is not only perfectly fine, it is also the most sustainable way to live.

Why is eating meat "perfectly fine" for anyone? Are people excused from moral and ethical decisions just because they are uneducated or wander from place to place? From my perspective the hillbillies in West Virginia are just as indigenous as the eskimo tribes in alaska. I can't excuse either for their ignorance and cruelty to animals.

We in the west fight nature and we try to defeat it. Most of the old tribes have found a way to be part of nature. They are part of the circle of life and death as all other things around them. In contrast we try to separate us from this natural system and many actually believe we have succeeded in doing so.

It's this separation that is the fundamental problem. The way we treat animals is merely a side effect of that irrational and unsustainable thinking. I don't believe veganism will solve the fundamental problem/mindset that exists in "modern" societies, it will however address one of the many side effects of this mindset.

So, I agree pretty much with darth here. I believe a person who still understand nature and are a part of it will harm animals (as a whole) less than a person eating exclusevily plants that has separated from nature.

We are in the middle of one of the bigger extinctions in the history of this planet. Meat eating in and by itself doesn't cause this death of birth as we and many other species have been eating animals throughout history and never caused this much harm as we do today.

We live very strange lives in a fake and weird context. We despise death and thus we see it as unnatural and bad. I don't believe people in nature that live in the context of the "real" world sees it in quite the same way.

Your point is well worded and I understand it, but I still can't agree with it. The modern mindset of using animals for food, clothing etc. came from these very same primitive people. Veganism is a step beyond that mindset. One doesn't have to be a primitive to understand nature or to understand life and death. After four months of living in the forest my respect for all life has only grown. Life and death are daily realities in the natural world, but far from thinking we should just surrender to that and live as animals, I'm sure that we as conscious human beings can do much better. It doesn't mean we separate ourselves from nature. A peaceful, natural vegan existence is quite possible and we can leave the hunting to the animals.

We despise death and thus we see it as unnatural and bad. I don't believe people in nature that live in the context of the "real" world sees it in quite the same way.

....this might be the case if it were a matter of themself killing somebody else who they view as inferior, for example animals, or in some cases members of other tribes......

.... they tend to take a different stance if it's a matter of someone else killing them, unsurprisingly.

A great many humans view it as okay to kill others, but would take a different stance on others potentially killing them.... good examples of this are President Bush..... Tony Blair..... Saddam Hussein..... Hitler..... Ghengis Khan..... there's nothing special, natural, or particularly well-rooted in the real world, about it.

All it requires is double-standards, selfishness and lack of respect for others' lives.

People do not have to despise death in order to despise seeing others killing the defenceless, especially for no good reason.

Nor do they have to view death as unnatural, or in itself 'bad'.

They are hardly living in a world of delusion (outside the context of the 'real world') to feel that way.

Also, i totally agree that the efforts at dissociation which so many people put into maintaining their own flesh/body-fluid consumption are totally lame.

People usually pay others to do their dirty meat-work for them because they themselves wish to enjoy convenience, and save themselves time and effort, and also because it lets them be a great deal less honest with others and themselves, regarding their decision to directly support animal exploitation and abuse. It also lets them consume mountains of flesh more than they would ever be able to get hold of without doing that, at a very low price. Many will also do it in order to be able to be involved in doing cruel things which otherwise they would feel too guilty to do if the hard part were their responsibility... so, in order to do something which they know is cruel and wrong they will dissociate by paying someone else to do it for them, behind a nice tall wall.

Those are all incredibly selfish reasons for doing that.

There is nothing special or applauseworthy about being selfish.