Seattle, help please?!

nicole

I am thinking about heading out there at the end of September. I have this flight with Southwest that I need to use by the end of the year and there is a yoga workshop that I think I'll attend for a long weekend. The workshop is located on Mercer Island and I found a hotel about a half mile away so that I can walk every morning, but what about getting everywhere else? Is the public transportation pretty good? I've also thought about renting a bike for the days that I'm there so that I can get around. I will be travelling/staying alone, so it will be a pretty mellow trip, but I've never been to Seattle and I want to see (and eat!) as much as possible while I'm there!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! I couldn't figure out from a google search what the best way to figure out public transit is. Is it all busses??

Thanks everyone!!! I do not think I will make it to Portland this trip. I'm keeping it pretty short, Thursday night-Tuesday evening. I'm expecting to like the NW a lot, though, so I'm sure I'll be back again. I would LOVE to meet up while I'm there. I will be busy during the days with yoga workshops, but around with nothing to do and not much idea where anything is the rest of the time.

Just stick to Pizza Pie and of coure Mighty-O. The donuts are great and I think its best to get as many of them in as you can. I think the other vegan places in Seattle aren't much better than what you can get in Philly so I'd go to Mighty-O the most since you can't get anything like it.

Which other Seattle vegan places have ya checked out Pooter?

I went to the Chaco Canyon Cafe for dinner with Issac and Ravi. Awesome food and fresh juice. Also a cool raw menu.

I'm sure Ravi with help you out with more info with Seattle

I still have not tried Chaco & I cant compare Seattle's options to Phillie's based on personal experience but I do know that Seattle has lots of vegan & vegan friendly places. PETA rates them as the #2 most Veg-Friendly city, after #1 Portland of course!

Here's a link for Seattle vegan restaurants:

http://www.seattlevegan.com/restvegan.asp

My personal top picks:

- Araya's Vegetarian Place, 1121 NE 45th St, Seattle (206) 524-4332

* Vegan Thai & a buffet, oh my!

- Hillside Quickie's Vegan Sandwich Shop, 4106 Brooklyn Ave NE, Seattle

(206) 632-3037 * Caribbean/Hip Hop style

Mighty-O Donuts

2110 N 55th St, Seattle

(206) 547-0335

Vegan Garden

1226B Jackson St., Seattle

(206) 726-8669

Wayward Café

901 NE 55th St, Seattle

(206) 524-0204

Which other Seattle vegan places have ya checked out Pooter?

None...just those two. I would have liked to go to more but I'm happy with what we did in just a day.

I live in Seattle, in the city and can offer you as much advice as you'd like.

Transportation: http://tripplanner.metrokc.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U

Renting a bike would be well worth it. Mercer Island is just across the water from Seattle. There is a bike lane (separated from vehicle traffic) on the I-90 bridge, which is fun as hell to bike over.

Restaurants: http://www.vegseattle.com

I recommend: Teapot, Araya's, Mighty O Donuts, Trabant Chai. Seattle is so vegan-friendly that you can picky. For example, I almost always only eat at all vegan restaurants and shun the vegetarian ones. It's great.

Things you must do: Go to the top of the Space Needle (it costs $14 but is well worth it on a nice day), go to Gas Works Park at night for the best view of downtown, go to Pike Place Market.

If you like, maybe we can try and meet up. I'm currently unemployed and am free most always right now.

Definitely feel free to PM me with ANY questions. I'd be more than happy to help.

Just stick to Pizza Pie and of coure Mighty-O. The donuts are great and I think its best to get as many of them in as you can. I think the other vegan places in Seattle aren't much better than what you can get in Philly so I'd go to Mighty-O the most since you can't get anything like it.

I completely, but respectfully, disagree. As a former east-coaster, I believe Seattle's food is way better, especially than Philly. Also, most all of us vegans here in Seattle strongly dislike Pizza Pi. I can't believe you liked it veganpotter. That's great that you did, though. I recommend Teapot (pan-asian), Araya's (thai), Chaco Canyon (sandwiches, raw, smoothies), The Globe (amazing breakfast), Wayward (scrambles, sandwiches, collectively-owned). Those are all vegan.

Why do the top 2 Veg friendly countries have to be so close? They should spread the wealth, we could use a city like that on the East coast somewhere.

Move on out here. DC is pretty damn vegan-friendly; however, I know Shohola well and it's awful. There's a Wegmans in Wilkes-Barre, which is where I always get my food while I'm there.

I completely, but respectfully, disagree. As a former east-coaster, I believe Seattle's food is way better, especially than Philly. Also, most all of us vegans here in Seattle strongly dislike Pizza Pi. I can't believe you liked it veganpotter. That's great that you did, though. I recommend Teapot (pan-asian), Araya's (thai), Chaco Canyon (sandwiches, raw, smoothies), The Globe (amazing breakfast), Wayward (scrambles, sandwiches, collectively-owned). Those are all vegan.

All good choices except araya's that place is extremely plain and bland compared to traditional thai food. Some of the worst ive had. Wayward is one of my favs though, and pizza pi is not half bad. Kalga and of course PRI are better though.

I've got a bit of a problem with Chaco Canyon. The menu says 100% vegan and they have milk/cream for coffee. I think thats lousy. They can at least say our food is all vegan but no...they advertise as being completely vegan which really sucks. I doubt they make much money on their coffee and they should either drop it or stop saying they are 100% vegan. Also the food didn't look all that interesting and the portions stunk for the money when comparing to a place like Blossoming Lotus. As for Pizza I'm only saying that because Gianna's stinks. They lied for years about having vegan pizza and I refuse to go back until they get new ownership.

I've got a bit of a problem with Chaco Canyon. The menu says 100% vegan and they have milk/cream for coffee. I think thats lousy. They can at least say our food is all vegan but no...they advertise as being completely vegan which really sucks. I doubt they make much money on their coffee and they should either drop it or stop saying they are 100% vegan. Also the food didn't look all that interesting and the portions stunk for the money when comparing to a place like Blossoming Lotus. As for Pizza I'm only saying that because Gianna's stinks. They lied for years about having vegan pizza and I refuse to go back until they get new ownership.

I agree that it's lame that Chaco uses dairy. A lot of the vegan restaurants here in Seattle do that. It sucks. At least there are a ton of all-vegan (minus the dairy options in drinks) restaurants.

Panda is surely the best place because you can eat as much as you want but if that wasn't an issue I'd say Harrison Street Cafe is much better. Its a great little place(not completely vegan though but at least they never claimed to be). Also our cafeteria wasn't half bad either.

Panda is surely the best place because you can eat as much as you want but if that wasn't an issue I'd say Harrison Street Cafe is much better. Its a great little place(not completely vegan though but at least they never claimed to be). Also our cafeteria wasn't half bad either.

Haha, that really bugs you, huh? I was a little shocked as well when I first moved here. Chaco and Araya's both do it. They both offer dairy. At least the default is always soy, but I do always wish they'd just ditch the dairy. I don't think they'd lose any business.

I think most people don't even notice they have it...omnis included. If anything they wind up having to throw it away before it goes bad. Mighty-O may go through whole cartons(not excusable) but I doubt Chaco Canyon does.

Ahh the ol Were vegan but we will giv eyou animal products for a price....very familiar! I hate that!

While we are on that topic I hate that coffee places charge extra for soy. It should be included!

I have heard of a vegan coffee shop in Seattle, but I have not make it there yet (the coffee shop that is).

Jamie and I actually saw a place that charged more for dairy. If it were a "vegan" place it would have pissed me off that they even offered it but since it was a vegetarian place we thought it was kinda neat. We took a picture and we'll post it soon(its still on Jamie's camera).