Cool results from an experiment.

I rarely ever get colds.

However, around this time of year I will feel myself moving towards the edge of a sore throat from time to time. When that happens I will usually take some Emergen-C powder and get some extra sleep. That will usually take care of it.

However, this isn't usually enough if I stay disciplined with my time and do a full schedule. Within 2-3 days my throat will start getting scratchy, sooner if I talk a lot outside.

I got about 60 grams of protein a day ( 5 11 guy, 178 lbs ), mostly from legumes.

Having become a vegetarian as a teenager after dropping raw foodism and reading DIET FOR A SMALL PLANET I decided to take a table spoon of brown rice protein powder twice a day. I was thinking that the amino acids that grains are strong in would be in low supply in my body. Similar volumes of grains have much less protein then legumes. Most of my meals are based around a 50/50 volume of legumes and whole grains.

I wasn't expecting anything back from this experiment. However I got pleasantly surprised.

I felt more grounded and I had better endurance. I also noticed that my immune system was stronger. I did not need to slow down if I went outside to distribute vegan lit and talk. If I stay disciplined with my time and do more, I no longer feel a sore throat coming on after 2 -3 days of a more full schedule. The latter issue has been with me off and on for a few years.

I don't know what the missing piece was. Possibilities are:

1. The more complete complimentation of amino acids I now get every day

2. Simply the extra 20 - 30 grams of protein of any mix of AAs

3. The extra 100 or so calories I am getting from the rice protein.

Whether it is numbers 1, 2, 3 or a combination that is doing the trick I am glad to just have the better results.

I'm now getting at least 80 grams of protein a day, with several days a week with my protein levels getting into the upper 90s, low 100s.

I felt great before, but now I feel even better.

I'm posting this in case anyone sees similar phenomenon in their own lives.

As a point of reference the USRDA for protein is 0.36 grams per pound of body weight. Many people scream that it is way too high. However, if I calculate my needs based on their formula with my current body weight ( instead of their lower "ideal body weight" ) I only get 65 grams of protein per day.

An amount I was doing good on, but not great.

Take it for what it is worth.

Edited by beforewisdom

It's certainly possible that you were missing some amino acids. Everyone is different and their bodies need a different mix of amino acids depending on what's going on. For instance, building muscle requires different amino acids compared to maintaining muscle. Any illness will increase your amino acid requirements since your immune system relies on amino acids to build up white blood cells, etc.

I personally would not feel too well on only 60 grams of protein per day, regardless of what the USRDA says. Those numbers are the requirements for the majority of people - therefore, someone will always be getting too little. Just my thoughts.

I personally would not feel too well on only 60 grams of protein per day, regardless of what the USRDA says. Those numbers are the requirements for the majority of people - therefore, someone will always be getting too little. Just my thoughts.

That is interesting as I am probably a lot larger than you are. It is also interesting as the UN has very low protein requirements set for people, as do many vegan health professionals and authors. Vegan health writers can be counted on to scream that the USRDA is padded and the USRDA admits it. Yet, I was meeting the USRDA and not doing the best that I could do and you being a smaller person with a lower requirement would not do well on their recommendation for me.

I think a lot of vegan authors/pundits confuse complementing amino acids not being necessary at each meal with complementing amino acids not being necessary at all...as well as getting a variety of mixes ( each with different dominant amounts of particular AAs ) not being optimal.

The authors of the American Dietetic Association ( two of them vegan nutritionists ) actually say you should compliment within the span of a day:

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg/ada/hs.xsl/advocacy_933_ENU_HTML.htm

Now, that might be adequate, but adequate is not the same as optimal.

I've read that our bodies do have a capacity for making up the differences between mismatched AA combinations in food. However, everything has limits and the body has to get raw materials from somewhere to do that.

In terms of getting raw materials, I noticed that equal volumes of whole grains have a lot less protein than an equal volume of legumes.

I have no idea if legume AAs need to be matched with an exactly equal weight of grain AAs.

However, I knew I was getting much more legume than grain protein ( I eat a 50/50 mix at each meal ) so when it came time for me to choose a protein powder I decided to choose a rice based one. I figured that in addition to simply getting more protein I might also get better use of the protein I already eat.

I just don't know. It could that, or just more protein at all, or more calories.

I'm less likely to believe that 110 extra calories made the difference. I've had several experiences with getting a slightly scratchy throat as a precursor to a cold when I kept a full schedule before. At all different ages, weights, and food intake levels. I've always complimented my meals too since I was 14.

Either way, that table spoon of brown rice protein with lunch and dinner is now a permanent addition.

As I don't know what happened to give me the results I got I don't know the answer to your question.

I can say that even completely unflavored the brown rice protein has a neutral taste. No matter what happens you will be able to finish using what you buy so your money will not be wasted.