I want some variety (fruits and veggies)

GRardB

Alright, guys. Here's the deal. I've been bulking since September and pretty soon I'm going to start cutting. I want to add more fruits/vegetables to my diet because of this, and because I'm concerned about my semi-repetitive diet. I definitely get more fruits than vegetables, which concerns me. This is probably because I'm a teenager and like everyone knows, we usually don't eat enough vegetables. As of right now, this is my variety in terms of fruits/veggies:

Fruits:

Bananas

Açai

Strawberries

Pinapple chunks

Apples

Cranberries

Cherries

Raisins

Avocados (in veggie sushi)

Vegetables:

Rice??

Oats??

Beans?? (chickpeas, kidney beans, pink beans, etc.) [Chickpeas also in the form of hummus)

Wheat?? (whole wheat bread)

Soy?? (usually in the form of soy milk, TVP, and tofu)

Potatoes

Sea Weed (in veggie sushi)

Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The reason I put the question marks around those items under vegetables is because I'm not sure if they're properly labeled as vegetables since their sort of like the prepared/manipulated/proteinous vegetables that can't really compare with things like carrots, broccoli, etc. (or at least I don't think so).

So I'm not getting enough of a variety of vegetables, right? I need some help if you guys don't think so.

My dad thinks I should try to make juices (although with a blender rather than a juicer for some, so I don't lose things like fiber). I personally think I should try to eat more raw/unprepared vegetables.

Also, should I get a bigger variety in my fruits? I'm thinking that since I can only have so many in my house at once, I can rotate weekly. For example, one week I can have oranges and apples, and the next week I can replace those with clementines and pears (or a different kind of apple). That way, I stay in the family but still change it up. Good idea or no?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerard

Edited by GRardB

All of those things are technically vegetables...a vegetable is the edible part of a plant. However the definition has changed...and what you seem to need most is green vegetables. To me it seems like you look fine on the fruits....thats great variety. The big this is that you really aren't eating any leafy greens...thats a big no no.

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not lacking much in the fruit section. I'll definitely make an effort to eat more green vegetables. As for the other vegetables, any suggestions on what to get? I'm going grocery shopping with my dad tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Gerard

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not lacking much in the fruit section. I'll definitely make an effort to eat more green vegetables. As for the other vegetables, any suggestions on what to get? I'm going grocery shopping with my dad tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Gerard

Bell peppers, Tomatoes, Onions, Garlic....

Also berries. This time of year, frozen is probably better.

Kale

Bok Choy (very high in iron)

Swiss Chard (red and white)

Collard Greens

Dandelion Greens

Watercress

Parsley

Cilantro

Choose 1-2 off of each of these lists. The first list is dark green leafy's, the second are bitter greens and herbs. Don't get them all at once; rather, cycle what you buy for then next time you go shopping. These vegetable have a very powerful taste and you probably wont get to use all of them before they go bad, unless you cook them. But i'd say it would be a better option to juice or blend them to maximize their usage potential.

Jessifly and some others on this thread had very useful suggestions. Use One or two of these at the most in a recipe and combine them with fruits and such to offset the strong flavor and make the juice pleasant.

If, for some reason, you want to avoid the fruits in the blends, these additions will also make the blend/juice more pleasant:

Lemons, Cucumbers, Celery.

Personally, I usually place one lemon and one granny smith apple in a 4 cup serving and then add dark greens. It's more of a stronger flavored green drink. It tastes good but it doesn't taste nearly as good as the other recipes listed above from other members. Start off with the mango recipe or what have you. You'll figure out what works for you.

Yeah, I agree with Potter... look up some green smoothies you can make in your blender... for example my favorite is parsley/kale/mango.

pineapple/kale/banana/mint/ginger

Lots of examples here too

Alright, so I tried to the first recipe, except without mint leaves because I hate mint flavor -_-. It tasted a little funky, but it wasn't bad and I think it'll help me get used to the flavor of greens, seeing as how I never really liked them.

I second the green smoothies. Try making beans into dip and using veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. for them. That is one of the most "fun" ways to eat them.

I asked me dad about this. He said that it's a good idea and then reminded me that hummus is a type of bean dip (I love that stuff), which makes me want to try your idea.

Bell peppers, Tomatoes, Onions, Garlic....

Also berries. This time of year, frozen is probably better.

After reading your reply I remembered that I get garlic from the hummus I eat daily, do you think that's enough/too much? I can't be sure about how much the Abraham's company puts in it, but I think I get enough . As for onions, I think I'll start putting slices in my homemade veggie burgers. I would do the same for tomatoes, but my dad told me that this time of year the grown tomatoes aren't so good, so I'll try a different way to get them (besides my occasional slice of pizza).

Kale

Bok Choy (very high in iron)

Swiss Chard (red and white)

Collard Greens

Dandelion Greens

Watercress

Parsley

Cilantro

I actually got some kale today to try Jessifly's recommended smoothie. I also have parsley and cilantro at my house (my dad loves cooking with that stuff). I'll find some way to incorporate these things in my diet and try to switch things up with your list.

Thanks a lot, guys, I really appreciate it. It's time I start getting used to my veggies' tastes

Gerard

It tasted a little funky, but it wasn't bad and I think it'll help me get used to the flavor of greens, seeing as how I never really liked them.

Cool, glad you gave it a try! Sometimes kale is a little intense for some people at first, there are so many possible combinations you could try... maybe spinach would taste better to you at first, a lot of people like spinach as their smoothie green.

A few months ago in the Nutrition Action newsletter-- which is published by Center for Science in the Public Interest-- there was an article referring to studies which have shown that the juice form of vegetables and fruits has considerably less of the beneficial nutritional properties that exist naturally in vegetables and fruits (e.g., phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc.). I quit an $8/week pure organic blueberry juice habit after reading that newsletter article. The gist is that you are better off eating fruits and vegetables as they are. Better fresh than frozen. Better frozen than canned. Better canned than...

My suggestion for a vegetable would be something from the cruciferous vegetable category. My preference is for brussels sprouts. I eat 1-2 lbs of brussels sprouts each day and 1-2 lbs of mixed vegetables/beans (carrots, peas, corn, lima beans, green beans). I buy most of my vegetables frozen and steam them in a microwaveable container.

Vegetables I'd not count on are those with little nutritional value, e.g., celery, onions, cauliflower, etc.

Btw, as far as your fruit goes, I'd add apples, oranges, and grapefruit. The last for its lycopene content.

Edited by Live_Simply

A few months ago in the Nutrition Action newsletter-- which is published by Center for Science in the Public Interest-- there was an article referring to studies which have shown that the juice form of vegetables and fruits has considerably less of the beneficial nutritional properties that exist naturally in vegetables and fruits (e.g., phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc.).

By this, do you mean when you use a juicer, or when you make vegetables/fruits into any kind of liquid? I've never used a juicer. I've always used a blender. Does that affect any of the nutritional goodness?

A few months ago in the Nutrition Action newsletter-- which is published by Center for Science in the Public Interest-- there was an article referring to studies which have shown that the juice form of vegetables and fruits has considerably less of the beneficial nutritional properties that exist naturally in vegetables and fruits (e.g., phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc.).

By this, do you mean when you use a juicer, or when you make vegetables/fruits into any kind of liquid? I've never used a juicer. I've always used a blender. Does that affect any of the nutritional goodness?

Geez, I wish I still had the article from late last year (Nov/Dec 2007?). If my memory serves me, even a blender reduces the beneficial nutrional contents considerably. I recall this because I was planning on buying either a juicer or a blender and decided on neither after reading the article.

the juice form of vegetables and fruits has considerably less of the beneficial nutritional properties that exist naturally in vegetables and fruits

I have never heard of this... hmm, I would be interested to know if they are referring to fruit juice that has been pasteurized because then yes that makes sense, but straight from the juicer?

the juice form of vegetables and fruits has considerably less of the beneficial nutritional properties that exist naturally in vegetables and fruits

I have never heard of this... hmm, I would be interested to know if they are referring to fruit juice that has been pasteurized because then yes that makes sense, but straight from the juicer?

Since this would be of interest to many here I'll try to track down the article and post it here as soon as I can. I think the idea was essentially that turning a vegetable or fruit into a puree is a nutritionally destructive process.

One of the books that helped me to learn to love food as it was is Jill Fullerton-Smith's vegan-friendly The Truth About Food: What You Eat Can Change Your Life (based on the six-part BBC/DiscoveryHealth series).