Adding taste without salt.

Most all foods have sodium but that isn't a salt so it isn't the same as NaCl. If you eat nothing but whole foods you'll get enough sodium for the average person. But if you were looking for a flavoring agent, nothing brings out natural flavors like salt does. Adding a bit of lemon, or other acid, will help with the flavor a bit, especially on vegetables.

But why do you want to eliminate table/sea salt? As an active person I've found a bit of added sea salt to my workout drinks & bars makes a huge difference in my energy level and performance. And as a clean eating vegan I've never seen the need to avoid salt, even salting my food doesn't put my sodium intake high. Unless you have a medical problem, eat processed foods or oversalt your food I don't know why you should ban it from your diet.

Yo, if you want to lower how much salt you have, I don't know why you can't just get rid of the salt. Are you looking for an alternative way to add flavour to food? I add nutritional yeast flakes to most savoury food, works real well.

Yo, if you want to lower how much salt you have, I don't know why you can't just get rid of the salt. Are you looking for an alternative way to add flavour to food? I add nutritional yeast flakes to most savoury food, works real well.

Yeah. I want to get rid of it completely. And I am just looking for more fresh and natural( IF I can't wash it I can't use it ) way to season. That way I know exactly where my food is coming from. With salt you never know what it might go through during the process in the factory. A fat, dirty man with dirty hands might accidentally put his hand on the convayerbelt and get his dirty germs into the salt supply which then get's into the salt shakers and finally into my food.

I'm also eliminating all processed foods( Not just Salt ) Like sugar, Coffee, Anything store bought and prepared and on and on )

So that mans Blargg Amino Acid I can't use. I've actually used that stuff too. Didn't really like it very much.

I'm also interested in how Celery adds flavor to food.

As for making fresh ice cream from scratch. I can flavor it quite easily with Mango. I don't need sgar. Same goes for a protein shake.

So I won't be using any Gemma protein powders or any other powders either. I'll try and just eat as much raw as I can and just go crazy at it. I think I can do it.

As a reformed salt lover I found measuring helped me limit my salt intake. Even w/ the braggs you can really salt stuff up. Try using a teaspoon to measure out a serving maybe? Or switch to hot sauce? I use more hot sauce lately and that's seemed to cut down on my salt desires.

Well you could wash the salt theoretically but it's not easy and pretty pointless, and you don't really need salt anyway. I think there are some things that you have to accept are out of your control. Some food may have germs on it, all you can really do is wash it if it concerns you. But what you're talking about isn't particularly specific, what germs are you worried about? Is your immune system particularly weak? Your body can fight off a lot of small problems without you becoming ill or dying.

I don't mind natural germs one can encounter. I have a bionic immune system. I haven't been sick badly since I was 9. The worst I get is a runny nose every now and then. But as for the flu I was 9 last time I got it.

I mostly wash the veggies for the stuff I don't want to get. Like viruses or the ecoli or whatever could be on them. I always wash my veggies and foods before consuming. Sometimes for a minute under the water to make sure I get it nice and clean.

If you are going to eat mostly raw what would you want to add a salty flavor to? I can't think of anything myself when I was eating mostly raw that I would have wanted saltier. Unless you are making gourmet dehydrated meals, then what others have mentioned... perhaps sea plants (kelp, dulse) and maybe dehydrated celery might work. Celery juiced for cold soups would work too I think. Some other raw foods that are higher in natural sodium are chard, kale, spinach, olives, cucumbers and pumpkin seeds. Also if you just want salt that is unprocessed I think grey celtic sea salt probably comes as close as any raw produce to not being handled and processed.

Like it has been said, sea veggies and citrus are great. Vinegars are also good and you don't have to worry about germs with it because they cannot live in it. Celery works because it is a naturally salty vegetable. Tomatoes, because of their saltiness and slight acidity, do well without salt. Adding some ground seeds to your foods adds a lot of flavor, as does nutritional yeast. Try nutritional yeast, sesame seeds and lemon juice combined, with some Indian spices, it is delicious.

I would like to retract what I said about being able to get enough sodium from whole foods. Last night I was using fitday and put my daily intake in there (not including the salt that I add), with 2000 cals I only had around 450 mg sodium. I'd never be able to support a good hour or two long sweat session with that much.

So if you're really going to cut out salt, make sure you're getting enough sodium somehow.

• 2 weeks later...