first day actually felt sick

endcruelty

so today was easter and all, another day of needless killing, and usually i am fine around that garbage i don't put in my mouth ..... but today was a little weird though, even after two years of it not affecting me, i started get a little ed with the food on the table today, and that's never really happened before ... does anyone else get this (i assume yes lol) cause i find it a little weird how over the years it hasn't bothered me since today

Its makes me sick too but it always makes me sick. Its something I always think about because it happens whether its in front of me or not. Me looking at it doesn't make it much worse. The smell makes me sick but I think thats more chemical than anything...its the idea of it that bothers me the most.

Until this day, I can still pinpoint the exact moment that meat became an atrocity to even be around and look at, let alone consume.

I was working a catering event several years ago and they had a spread out for us to eat with a huge tray of steaks and as I saw all of that dead animal meat and everyone digging in, I was absolutely ed by the whole event. Cater waiters are not very well off people, usually working just to survive and they gorge on the food provided like they haven't seen food in years. As they gorged on the meat I was so thankful that I took a road devoit of animal. I never did it for ethical reasons or compassion over killing but at that very moment, I truly realized that whole arena of thought and logic. It felt good to know I was not contributing to or supporting to the mass carnage and destruction of animals to feed us.....

I saw all of that dead animal meat and everyone digging in, I was absolutely ed by the whole event.

I had the same feeling just before easter; I was out buying food and there were so many people shopping for food because of easter and they were buying meat, meat and more meat. They seemed so stressed out, angry and grotesque in a way. I just stopped for a moment to watch them, it was so bizarre and sickening. There was especially this one man who was shouting and swearing at his boy, who was something like 7 years old, and at the same time he was touching and feeling pieces of lamb.

I don't usually care about stuff like people buying and eating meat, I just keep to myself, but that whole shopping trip was so strange and in a way sad.

I remember going to a restaurant with my Mom, and Grandmother when I was a teenager, I was just vegetarian at this time. Anyway my Grandmother ordered flounder I think, and when I saw her plate I swear the fish was staring at me, and I could almost see the eyes, or at least where they used to be, and it just made me so sad.

I saw all of that dead animal meat and everyone digging in, I was absolutely ed by the whole event.

I had the same feeling just before easter; I was out buying food and there were so many people shopping for food because of easter and they were buying meat, meat and more meat. They seemed so stressed out, angry and grotesque in a way. I just stopped for a moment to watch them, it was so bizarre and sickening. There was especially this one man who was shouting and swearing at his boy, who was something like 7 years old, and at the same time he was touching and feeling pieces of lamb.

I don't usually care about stuff like people buying and eating meat, I just keep to myself, but that whole shopping trip was so strange and in a way sad.

ya i could totally see myself thinking the same way ... but you're actually giving me an idea, almost impossible, but i wonder if it's possible to get photos of people buying their groceries and capturing their attitudes. like if i got photos of someone who only had meat and someone who only had veggies, i'm curious what facial demineur (sp?) they have (like if they seem grumpy, light on their feet, violent, etc...)

Edited by endcruelty

Maybe you should just stick markers up your nose.

Ha, that made me laugh.

I hate seeing people buy neatly packaged meat, like a Mc-whatever in a wrapper placed in a little paper bag with napkins and an order of fries, and then eating it without a second thought as to how it got there. I think it's really sad.

so today was easter and all, another day of needless killing, and usually i am fine around that garbage i don't put in my mouth ..... but today was a little weird though, even after two years of it not affecting me, i started get a little ed with the food on the table today, and that's never really happened before ... does anyone else get this (i assume yes lol) cause i find it a little weird how over the years it hasn't bothered me since today

Isn't that weird? A few months after I went veg, what other people were eating didn't really bother me. It's like my brain registered what they were eating as food, but as food that I chose not to eat. I even went out with a group of friends and sat across the table from a guy who was eating a huge bloody rare steak and it honestly didn't bother me at all.

At some point, maybe a year after that, I was in a restaurant, walked through the dining room on my way to the ladies' room, and casually noticed what was on other people's plates... wow, I got really ed. The feeling kind of took me by surprise, since I'd previously not been bothered much by other people's choices, especially that of strangers.

Now, I mostly go to vegeterian/vegan restaurants and I've kind of surrounded myself with mostly other vegans socially, so eating any kind of animal product seems really foreign to me now. Like, I'll be at the grocery store, see someone with a cart full of flesh and think "why would they even buy that?" I try to always be non-judgemental, because I realize that everyone comes to veganism (or not) at their own pace, and some people simply aren't there yet, but still... it really grosses me out sometimes.

The shift in consciousness has been really interesting, for sure.

It's the smell that gets me. I can choose to not look at other peoples shopping carts, or meals but I can't not smell it. Every time I go past the seafood, and deli areas in a store I hold in my breath until I can escape down an aisle. And when I used to take the bus every bus would have a stop near a Popeyes fast food place, and someone would of course get on with greasy stinky chicken. That's one reason I try to avoid the bus.

It's the smell that gets me. I can choose to not look at other peoples shopping carts, or meals but I can't not smell it. Every time I go past the seafood, and deli areas in a store I hold in my breath until I can escape down an aisle. And when I used to take the bus every bus would have a stop near a Popeyes fast food place, and someone would of course get on with greasy stinky chicken. That's one reason I try to avoid the bus.

Oh I totally agree on this one! The smell is just awful!

Last month I was in a grocery storeand i walked by the deli section. They were cooking a roast.... I felt absolutely nauseous. Had to get away from there asap!

It's tough when you come from a "meat & potatoes" family too. We spend a lot of time out at the family cottage in the summer and there is always some kind of meat being prepared. We always try to offer to cook dinner in order to save an animal or two.

I hate seeing people buy neatly packaged meat, like a Mc-whatever in a wrapper placed in a little paper bag with napkins and an order of fries, and then eating it without a second thought as to how it got there. I think it's really sad.

Reading this thread and specificly this post reminds me of the beginning of my journey towards vegetarianism. I remember hanging out with friends and thinking how weird and kinda cruel it was watching these animals at a petting zoo that was set up in a local mall. It seemed like the weirdest thing and just put the topic of "is this really right, is it ok to domesticate these animals" came up. The animals didn't seem to mind too too much (i'm no animal whisperer or anything) but they had to be kinda weirded out by it. Lots of noise and kids. Then the weirdest thing really started to stand out to me and I started to really feel sick. One of the little kiddies was eating lunch and running over excited to pet the baby calf and the family had a McD's bag on the table. I thought I was going to be sick, the kiddie didn't even know that beautiful little cow was going to eventually be dinner. It was the weirdest. That thought still makes me a little ill. It's more the thought of connecting the word meat with what meat really is that sends me to queasyville. Anyways just thought I'd jump in.