Ectomorph- Not bulking?

Hey all,

So I've been eating more and exercising also for nearly 2 months. I've gained some weight, I was 49kg and now I'm 51.5kg. Besides my arms and my legs (if I squat them) that are defined, my body seems the same. I don't know how to bulk faster. Should I eat more or work out harder?

I'm eating 5 meals daily and work out 3 days a week, with free weights and I jog once a week.

What can I do to get bigger? Any ideas?

Thanks.

figure out how many calories you are consuming and increase that amount by at least 500 calories. I would let that sit for 3-5 days or so and if you don't feel that it is assisting you, up your intake by another 500 calories. Do this until you reach a comfy level of bulking and adding on some solid gains every week.

If your 5 meals are 5 apples, it isn't enough. We don't know what you're consuming or how many calories they total up to so it's hard to figure out.

But Bronco is absolutely right it is very simple, just eat more....

2,5kg in 2 months would mean 15kg (33 lbs) in a year which should be more than enough. Remember that you've increased your body weight 5 % in 2 months which is very good. I'm not doing any faster than that and I'm very very glad with the results.

It takes time, just keep working really hard. Remember to push yourself to the limit every time you work out, don't stop when it comes hard. Stop when you are absolutely unable to do even 1 more rep.

In a year you'll be a lot bigger at that pace. Trust me!

Its really hard to gain a lot of muscle lifting 3 days a week unless your in the gym for hours and hours on end. I say up the intensity...or get to the gym 4-5 times a week before upping the food. If that doesn't work do both.

Its really hard to gain a lot of muscle lifting 3 days a week unless your in the gym for hours and hours on end.

Not really. For people new to weightraining, and many more advanced trainees as well, three days a week is enough to have good progress.

I say up the intensity...or get to the gym 4-5 times a week before upping the food. If that doesn't work do both.

Training more is not gonna increase the weight gain unless food intake is increases as well.

Before I would make any suggestions, I need to know what TYPE of weight you are gaining. Are you gaining fat or muscle? If you are gaining fat then you are gaining too quickly, eating too much and/or not working your muscles to encourage maximal growth. If you are gaining muscle then I would suggest you continue what you are doing. If you are gaining fat and muscle, then you need to cut back a bit on your calories and continue lifting with the same intensity.

Good luck with your goals!

I know three days a week is enough for progress for beginners...the same way walking for 5 minutes a day can help the morbidly obese lose weight. It only goes so far though and it would be much better to do more...for some even 1 day a week would make a difference but not so quickly.

I know three days a week is enough for progress for beginners...the same way walking for 5 minutes a day can help the morbidly obese lose weight.

It only goes so far though and it would be much better to do more...for some even 1 day a week would make a difference but not so quickly.

I would have to disagree, comparing training three times a week to walking 5min doesnt make much sense. For a beginner training more than three times a week doesnt necesarily give more results. Training more is not allways better as I am sure you know.