Wild Foods

I have a portable hand crank wheatgrass juicer for long trips when I camp out and I trust the grass on the floor. I haven't tried it yet but i'd like to

I read from a reputable source that Wild Purslane is the most nutrient dense vegetable you can get you hands on. I know of a place where you can get it upstate but i've never managed to go there and get some. Have you ever tried it?

How about wildcrafted foods; are you cool with buying wildcrafted sundried produce and consuming that?

Lambs Quarters, Dandelion Greens, Burdock, Nettle, Watercress, Sorrel (yumyumyum) are some of the other ones I know of that grow in the wild around these ways

Let us know how the harvesting goes

Sun dried? are you talking about like dried veggie powders? I was pretty much living on Vita Mineral Green which has 21 different raw powders, but it's way to expensive. It's 50 for 16 oz, so 50 a pound which is a joke becasue the average powder in there is about 6 dollars a pound if you buy them in bulk

But be careful, there's some poisons in nature as like in society. You better buy a book describing every plants and wild foods telling if it's comestible or not. Have you seen the movie Into the Wild ? Very good. We see that killing a moose and try to eat it is not very natural and realistic and that a vegan diet is way easier and practical... Anyway the guy in the movie eats some plant or small fruits and almost die, then he dies of hunger... In nordic places like Yukon or Alaska during winter, no choice eating animals otherwise it's nothing and death.

But be careful, there's some poisons in nature as like in society. You better buy a book describing every plants and wild foods telling if it's comestible or not. Have you seen the movie Into the Wild ? Very good. We see that killing a moose and try to eat it is not very natural and realistic and that a vegan diet is way easier and practical... Anyway the guy in the movie eats some plant or small fruits and almost die, then he dies of hunger... In nordic places like Yukon or Alaska during winter, no choice eating animals otherwise it's nothing and death.

Luckly for me i live in a good place for it becasue i live far away form cities and it's not very cold here. I live 1 hour east of Sacramento and 1 hour west of Tahoe. The the main thing i'm worried about is eatting something that is poisionist. Wild plants are so potent that even eatting some thing that is good for you in too high of a amount can lead to problems. I'd like to find someone in my area that knows alot about wild foods.

Wild blackberries grow ALL OVER the place here. I could get 50 pounds if I spent the time... FOR FREE!

I will definetly kill you for that opportunity on vv2009!

I recently bought a boom which descripes eatable flowers and plants. Is is very interesting and I will give it a try soon as a addition to my "normal" diet...

There are numerous books available in the US that give descriptions of plants that grow in the wild - edible and poisonous. In addition to books, your area may have foraging groups or classes. I took a few foraging classes when I lived in CT and there is at least on person who hold classes in my area now. I found that a fair number of foraged foods needed to be cooked to make them either edible or non-toxic, so be mindful of how they are to be prepared. For instance, stinging nettles and mushrooms must be cooked to deactivate toxins.

Wild foods are a great addition to your diet! I definitely miss them (especially sorrel) living in the city but we have some vendors who sell foraged foods at the farmer's market. When berries are in season, I plan to pick gallons of them this year and freeze them for winter.

Timely post for me. I got a book and was going to do some of this. I know we have ramps here and wild blueberries in the woods, (you have to outrun bears though!) blackberries, and if I let my lawn grow. I'll have a dandelion crop! LOL

Oh, ramps are like a cross between garlic and onion.

I just don't want to experiment too much!