How do you use your green powders?

I have a question regarding how to use green powder. I've got this green powder made from a mixture of spirulina, chlorella and barley grass... added a heaped teaspoon to my smoothie and I just could not force myself to drink it... tasted really revolting. Is there anything I can add to the smoothie to make it more drinkable?

I just mix mine with water and chug it down. I prefer not to put it in a smoothie because then it ruins the smoothie for me. I just drink it down like medicine. I've kinda got used to it now as well, so it doesn't seem so bad either.

Thats too much...just throw a teaspoon in your smoothies. You can also make seaweed soups and add a little in there. Its good that way too.

yeh i am the same, 40-60grams, water, mix and chug.

But you could sprinkle a bit onto your salads. If you make treats of flatbreads, you could always throw them into the batch. In japan, they have been enriching chlorella into all breads sold for quite some time.

The most exclusive raw food restaurant in nyc makes a wonderful drink made from nothing more than fresh grapefruit juice, stevia or agave and some wild bluegreen algae.

You know, you're lucky you have a mix like that. Algae is very thick and grass powder is very liquidy; it makes for the perfect combination. Try chlorella alone, it is revolting, even to me. I prefer spirulina in a taste test way more.

Smoothies definitely. I LOVE the way spirulina makes my smoothies look.

And also the other day... I accidently spilled the last of my spirulina on

the kitchen counter, ...and I just licked it up. haha

It's ok, I'm weird.

Oh yah! I also loooooove green powders in fresh orange juice!

That is heavenly.

I have been doing some that has a chocolate flavor to it. Amazing Grass I think? Anyway, with just the green stuff, I used orange juice or orange-carrot juice. OR just chugged it down and held my breath with some types!! Should be some good smoothie recipes out there I would think if you hunt around, and then everyone's taste isn't the same either

I like the way it tastes just with water also. But I don't need to chug it because I like it. Also sometimes I combine it with apple juice, but I don't think it tastes good with many other combinations, especially not carrot juice or orange juice I've never tried putting it in my smoothies

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I tried to cover the strong green powder taste with lots of maca powder, masquite, gogi berries, cacao powder and was still revolting. But I really like this idea of mixing it with some water and chug it down like a shot, that's what I'm going to do from now on until I finish the supply. This morning I made a green smoothie and used baby spinach instead of green powder and it tasted delightful (also added frozen banans, blue berries and stevia). So I think using leafy greens is thre way to go. Nutritional properties probably won't be as good as the green powders, but I don't think food should ever become a torture.

that's what I'm going to do from now on until I finish the supply. So I think using leafy greens is thre way to go. Nutritional properties probably won't be as good as the green powders, but I don't think food should ever become a torture.

Hey Jan,

You're right, you can't go wrong with leafy greens but you should try and see if there is a recipe you can enjoy the supergreens with as they are great for you.

Food shouldn't taste horrible, this is true but there are ways to make the experience quite pleasurable.

Smoothies definitely. I LOVE the way spirulina makes my smoothies look.

Like Andesuma said, smoothies are a great way to enjoy supergreens. Your smoothie that you mentioned with frozen bananas and blueberries would be a great option. I have yet to have someone complain about a frozen berry/banana/stevia or agave smoothie that had a little bit of algae or grass supp mixed into it.

Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Bananas whatever combination you have of these and sweetener and I usually say for those who want to mask the taste as much as possible, no more than a 1/2 - full tablespoon per 64oz blender container. You should be fine going that route.

the kitchen counter, ...and I just licked it up. haha Laughing

It's ok, I'm weird.

Ahhh grazing, yum I do that also, I also like to put some fresh grass juice on my face and let it sit for a little to soak in....

I think the problem is that you're putting it in things that aren't really green to begin with. Whenever I put spirulina, for instance, in something, it's normally a green smoothie: (Orange juice, bananas, fresh spinach, hemp protein, then other greens). The clash of Greens vs. other foods may be what you're not liking.

Ahhh grazing, yum I do that also, I also like to put some fresh grass juice on my face and let it sit for a little to soak in....

Can you say ... Great idea for a makeover/raw vegan/slumber party VV2008!!!!

Oh yes... that sounds wonderful....

don't you know it andesuma! Plus with your makeup skills, I cannot pass on an offer like that. Should I book well in advance as I know you are very exclusive and your services are always in high demand, months ahead....

This is true... hah

My travel/work/& art itinerary for the rest of the year is already FULL.

But, I think I can fit you in

I'd love to do your make up!!! hah

• 1 month later...

the kitchen counter, ...and I just licked it up. haha Laughing

It's ok, I'm weird.

Ahhh grazing, yum Very Happy I do that also, I also like to put some fresh grass juice on my face and let it sit for a little to soak in....

Hey Andesuma, you mean kind of something like this old clip of me going out to pasture??