Hi there. Upstate NYer with some questions :-)

Jabersquawk

Hi. I'm a 26 yr old male. Avid distance runner and weight lifter. I have done both regularly since senior year of high school (I fear that much like everything else in my life, it is an example of how I want to have the best of both worlds - but end up being the jack of all trades.) I wonder if it's a bad thing to stretch myself between distance and weight training, but that's not my main question, so I will save that for another time.

My question is, what the heck can I do about weight training without meat or animal schmoo? I learned about muscle building/maintainence nutrition from other meatheads (literally) and from Men's Health (which is unabashedly sponsored by Beef, Dairy and Pork.) I am not yet even a complete Veggie, let alone a Vegan (but I hope that that's ok.) I am torn because I know from my studies as a public health student and environmentalist that my meat eating is killing the world, let alone myself, and that the supplements I'm using (whey) is also not good (aspartame, sucralose, etc.) However, I don't know where to start to find inexpensive and adequate protein, and I don't know how to shut off all the "programming" I've been fed about how animal protein is "soo much better for you" (blah blah blah.)

So, my question is two fold:

1) Is veg-based protein just as good as meat (I realize that I may be asking a biased party, but I also realize that my present stance has also been based on biased information)?

and

2) What can I do to ensure I get enough protein without meat/animal sources? What would be a good supplement to use in the place of whey? Are there any available without tons of preservatives/artificial sweeteners? What is a good source of protein outside of soy?

I've always thought about the fact that my meat eating is bad, and that the nutritional supplements I've been using, are just awful, but I've completely bought into the schill I've been fed. Help me to break free!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think this thread is a good way to start if you want to compare different protein sources:

viewtopic.php?t=8869

It's all about amino acids, and getting enough of them is pretty damn easy if you eat a lot of veggie proteins from different sources.

I think Troy is a good person to answer your questions because he has been vegan for a couple of months now and does know pretty darn well what he's eating.

I get a lot of my proteins from kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils ectect... it's very easy, cheap and tasty.

Welcome to the forum

What kind of runner are you looking to be??? Do you plan on being a 2:20 marathoner while being able to be strong in the weight room but not an elite lifter??? Do you want to bench 2x your weight and squat 3x while being able to run a 3hr marathon or do you just want to keep running??? You've gotta give and take a little on each side...unless your willing to be worse at one and do the other because you love doing it.

As for your questions its more than possible to be a runner on a vegan diet...some of the best runners ever have been vegan. When it comes to weight lifters we've got a guy here(not a regular poster but he is a member) thats attempted world record lifts thats vegan.

When it comes to getting lots of protein don't even concern yourself with that. Its quite easy to get an adequate amount with just food and if you have a good appetite its pretty easy to get too much protein...I know I did early on in my vegan years.

First of all: Welcome aboard and Thank you for being interested and open-minded!

I learned about muscle building/maintainence nutrition from other meatheads (literally) and from Men's Health (which is unabashedly sponsored by Beef, Dairy and Pork.) I am not yet even a complete Veggie, let alone a Vegan (but I hope that that's ok.) I am torn because I know from my studies as a public health student and environmentalist that my meat eating is killing the world, let alone myself, and that the supplements I'm using (whey) is also not good (aspartame, sucralose, etc.) However, I don't know where to start to find inexpensive and adequate protein, and I don't know how to shut off all the "programming" I've been fed about how animal protein is "soo much better for you" (blah blah blah.)

So, my question is two fold:

1) Is veg-based protein just as good as meat (I realize that I may be asking a biased party, but I also realize that my present stance has also been based on biased information)?

and

2) What can I do to ensure I get enough protein without meat/animal sources? What would be a good supplement to use in the place of whey? Are there any available without tons of preservatives/artificial sweeteners? What is a good source of protein outside of soy?

Stop comparing vegan and meat diets. A diet (the SAD-diet) that makes so many citizens if western societies suffer from the so-called diseases of affluence has not right to be compared with a diet (vegan) that helps preventing a lot of diseases actually.

You have to realize (I think you already started this) that you have been brainwashed since you were a little child. After you understood (and some basic books will help you doing this) this going vegan and not feeling inferior to sad-eaters will be easy! The China Study and Diet for a new America and Food Revolution may be a great start.

Thanks Guys,

I got back from a run this morning and was greeted with all your suggestions and thoughts - it feels like it's Christmas. I am going to check out those links, and will contact Troy (I think I read his post last night, was it the one with the Excel sheet?)

Veganpotter - I am a once a year marathon runner who is basically looking to run around a 3:30 race while still being able to squat at least 2x's my weight in the gym (not at the same time.) Based on your pic, you look like you're a cyclist - what do you do? How did you know you were getting too much protein?

Thank you all again for replying so quickly. Keep it coming.

All the best.

Veganpotter - I am a once a year marathon runner who is basically looking to run around a 3:30 race while still being able to squat at least 2x's my weight in the gym (not at the same time.) Based on your pic, you look like you're a cyclist - what do you do? How did you know you were getting too much protein?

You can definitely do that. I went to school with a kid that can bench 2x his bodyweight and squat nearly 3x his bodyweight. He runs a 3:15 and eats junk food all day...its all about hard work for him and doing it because he loves it. He's not vegan by any means but he's also not a rigorous meat eater...he just eats whatever junk is lying around. And yes I'm a cyclist...track cyclist mostly. As for getting too much protein I knew I was getting too much once I stopped eating so much protein and my weight lifting numbers blew up. Now its hard for me to not get too much. I'm trying my hardest to lose as much muscle mass as I can and despite riding my bike for 300+ miles a week you'd think 40-50g a day wouldn't be enough to sustain my mass but I've found I'm unfortunately gaining muscle right now...not what I wanted. If I were lifting weights instead of burning so many calories on the bike I'd be gaining a lot of muscle with that same amount of protein.