Deadlift

On what days does everyone incorporate deadlifts? Or what other exercises do you perform on deadlift day?

Deadlifts are a total body exercise, so it's good to get them done first in most cases. A good method is to have a deadlift day. What else you do would depend on the rest your program... What's it look like now? I often did rows, pull ups, power cleans, and grip work when I had deadlift days.

First I guess I have to admit that I havent deadlifted in allmost a year. For weightlifting it doesnt give enough benefits compared to cleans and pulls I reckon. Not saying it isnt an excellent exercise, because I think it is, just not for me at the moment .

Anyway, when I used to deadlift I would do it on deadlift day of course . I would then combine it with some upper back exercises, rows and chins. I guess you might also call that a back day.

On a traditional Deadlift day, I will start with Deadlifts.

I usually add other exercises in such as:

Stiff Legged and Sumo Stance Deadlifts

Good Mornings

Hyperextensions

Supermans

I genera add another smaller muscle group to workout afterwards if i don't go nutso on sets for deadlifts.

I dislike working out my upper back on deadlift day and I also do not like the feeling of shrugging after deadlifts.

Last month, I was supersetting squats and deadlifts one after another without rest to switch things up and shock the body. It was INTENSE, to say the least. Highly recommend giving it a shot.

I like to base a day on lower back/deadlift work, then do smaller stuff with it so that there's no interference. So, on deadlift day I'll add chest, shoulders or general arm work, but I don't like to combine it with:

- Legs, because squatting already taxes my lower back and legs enough, which will negatively impact my deadlift, and

- Upper back, because deadlifts work everything on me from my hamstrings through my traps, and I find that if I do rowing stuff first my DL suffers, and vice-versa. Not only that, but since both DLs and upper back work are grip-intensive, I don't like having my hands fried before the workout is done.

I've always figured that deadlifts deserve their own day, so I've always made it that they get their personal space so that they don't interfere with other large-bodypart training as well as the other way around.

I like to base a day on lower back/deadlift work, then do smaller stuff with it so that there's no interference. So, on deadlift day I'll add chest, shoulders or general arm work, but I don't like to combine it with:

- Legs, because squatting already taxes my lower back and legs enough, which will negatively impact my deadlift, and

- Upper back, because deadlifts work everything on me from my hamstrings through my traps, and I find that if I do rowing stuff first my DL suffers, and vice-versa. Not only that, but since both DLs and upper back work are grip-intensive, I don't like having my hands fried before the workout is done.

I've always figured that deadlifts deserve their own day, so I've always made it that they get their personal space so that they don't interfere with other large-bodypart training as well as the other way around.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking but wanted to see what most thought. I bolded the things I highly agree with. I'm trying to figure out a new split to incorporate some light-medium deadlifts. Having some trouble. My low back is weak and slighlty sore thoughout the week since I've been squatting again. Its a non healing pain but manageable, nothing debiliatating. I've been trying to split up squats and DLs throughout the week to give my lowerback some time to heal and rest but when DL day comes, my lowerback is still sore. Frustrating. I'm wondering if I should just continue to wait it out and maybe my lowback will catch up with and start to heal faster or if I'm actually injuring something. My form is good, no rounding during squats. I even backed off on weight last week. I'd like to split it like this.

Day 1 - Lats - Traps

Day 2 - Squats - Lunges - Leg Press

Day 3 - Bis - Forearms

Day 4 - Chest

Day 5 - Deadlift - Abs

Day 6 - Tris - Calves

Day 7 - Rest

I'm hoping my low back will be healed within from Day 2 to Day 5. ugh. I think I'm gonna make a point to go light on both squat and deadlift day and ease into it more, maybe I started off too heavy for my lowback. Any other split suggestions?

Troy,

If you haven't done deadlifts in a while and are just getting back into them again after a layoff, expect that the back soreness may be a bit brutal for a month or two (I know it has been for me after every break.) My back literally turns to glass after a month or two of no deadlifting, and I have to start out again REALLY light for a while to get my strength up. If you're anything like me, then just make sure to take it slow, keep it separate from anything that could tax it indirectly, and work your way up over an extended period. I still do my training as follows since it's always worked for me -

Day 1 - Legs and chest or shoulders

Day 2 - off

Day 3 - Upper back, traps, maybe biceps if I feel like it

Day 4 - off

Day 5 - Lower back, whatever I missed during the week

Day 6 - off

Day 7 - Either another upper back day, or, start with legs again if I'm feeling fresh

I never get too burned out with the every-other-day breaks, but since you've got a few days that are just arm and calf work, then you'll probably get away pretty well with that since it won't leave you fried like a heavy leg or back workout will. In any case, just give it time, and as long as the soreness is just post-lifting soreness and not a deep-rooted back pain that feels weird, it may just be your body needing a longer re-introduction to deadlifts that's giving you grief. If in doubt, back off on the weight a bit, up the reps, and just hammer down form until your body is forced to accept that you'll be deadlifting regularly and that resistance is futile

By the way, Troy, did Ananda's restaurant close in the Dells, or are they redoing it? Someone told me that they weren't open last weekend, and that they couldn't find out info from the neighboring places if it was reopening again or if something new was going in there. Any news on this? I'm heading up to the Dells at some point in a month or so and am hoping that it'll still be there!

Tdid Ananda's restaurant close in the Dells, or are they redoing it? Someone told me that they weren't open last weekend, and that they couldn't find out info from the neighboring places if it was reopening again or if something new was going in there. Any news on this? I'm heading up to the Dells at some point in a month or so and am hoping that it'll still be there!

Ahhh, I've never been there. Sorry, I thought the only vegetarian/vegan restaurant in the Dells was The Cheese Factory. I'm gonna check out Ananda's soon. I'll let you know this week sometime...