What are your qualifications?

Im certified through my studio. The certification is only worth what you can apply to other people and yourself. Ive known people to have 5 certifications and still not able to train someone correctly. Cert's are usually only about taking tests except for the hard ones that require you to remember the whole book and certs like Crossfit that are more physical.

Are there any certified trainers and/or nutritionists out there? If so, what are your certifications and what organizations are you certified with?

One of the most intelligent questions I have ever seen asked on this board.

All over the web people talk about subjects they know nothing about.

This is even more true with nutrition, where people feel that their personal experiences gives their opinions as much weight as facts studied by degreed researchers. Some of those people even go on to write web sites, even publish books that other people who haven't studied read and end up believing, then spreading.

You asked one of the most intelligent questions a person on a board like this can ask. "How does that person ( or even I ) know what they/I know?"

Good for you!

Edited by beforewisdom

For the record. I am not a health professional of any kind.

I am just a guy who likes to read about nutrition in his spare time, in a haphazard way.

Any opinion I express should not be taken as fact.

My opinion as well most other things on the web and especially the posts on this board should only be taken as an invitation to further research only.

I second what BW says - one of the best questions ever asked on this forum. BeforeWisdom gives safe and knowledgeable information, and he posts good links.

There are a few personal trainers on the forum. I know of no nutritionists who post regularly. Unfortunately, a master's in nutrition doesn't yield a lucrative career so there aren't that many out there. Additionally, it's one of the fields where you are selling your knowledge so there's not much point in spreading it all over forums - unfortunate for us. As for mainstream nutrition education, it's tremendously influenced by corporations - for a great expose on this, read Marion Nestle's Food Politics. It's not a quick read but it's fascinating.

I'm not a nutritionist, although nutrition has been my focus of self-study for the past 5 years. I have a BS in biology, BS in nursing and MS in Nursing Anesthesia - which means that I've had a bit of nutritional education. More importantly, my background gives me the ability to understand what I'm reading about studies and concepts. I post in the nutrition section often and it seems that many times I (and BeforeWisdom) am trying to clear up confusion from posted misinformation. Overall, there is more a quest for good info from our members rather than misinformed nutritional posting - but the latter does occur.

Nutrition is an evolving field - like medicine and any other science. Just because someone has credentials doesn't mean that they are up-to-date on the latest research. I highly encourage everyone to educate themselves regarding nutrition and find what works for them.

There are a few personal trainers on the forum. I know of no nutritionists who post regularly. Unfortunately, a master's in nutrition doesn't yield a lucrative career so there aren't that many out there. Additionally, it's one of the fields where you are selling your knowledge so there's not much point in spreading it all over forums

I used to have an unconscious assumption in my head that if people knew things they would be saying them and saying what they knew all over the place. That just isn't the case. As you wrote people who know things often have better things to do. I try not to take people giving me information for granted any more.

• 1 month later...

I'm a qualified personal trainer (have never used it though!) and in my final year of my batchelor's degree in Nutritional Medicine. I do agree that it's not a lucrative field to be in but I'm basically doing it for my own knowledge and to be able to constructively debate anyone who challenges me about bodybuilding and veganism. By the way it's great to be here on this forum

I dated a certified personal trainer once.... Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that everyone upthread has more going on than me but I'll throw mine minimal stuff out as long as we're talking about it. YMCA Certified for doing orientation to weight training. Also had a grad-level nutrition for performance athletes class for my MEd (w/ some work on vegan/veg stuff). And add in whatever knowledge 6 years working the desk at gyms gets ya.

I am a certified sports scientist (comparable to a masters degree in sports science) with a focus on prevention and rehabilitation in and via sports.

My studies included courses and tests in sports medicine, biomechanics, different sports (bb&f, rowing, gymnastics, volleyball, basketball, team handball, swimming, tabletennis, scuba diving) both theoretically and practically, training theory, nutrition theory, excercise theory, sports sociology, sports didactics & educational science, sports psychology etc.

My current work focusses on sports injuries (both chronic and acute).

My self studies (no certification) included aspects of raw lifestyle and life science.

I'm a qualified personal trainer (have never used it though!) and in my final year of my batchelor's degree in Nutritional Medicine. I do agree that it's not a lucrative field to be in but I'm basically doing it for my own knowledge and to be able to constructively debate anyone who challenges me about bodybuilding and veganism. By the way it's great to be here on this forum

I just saw this so no need to answer my questions in your intro thread. It looks like a degree in Nutritional Medicine is similar to a Nutritionist degree in the US. It's also not very lucrative here. I've considered getting a nutrition degree but the salaries don't even come close to what I'm doing. If more people listened to nutritionists then I would have less work!

Exactly, the pay is not all that great and people ask for advice all the time when I'm training or working and I should really charge for it!! Hence the reason I am only doing it for myself! There is not much money to be made in the whole sports nutrition/general nutrition industry for people who are working as nutritionists. Compared to what I used to do (disability support worker) the pay difference is huge but I guess the stress levels are a lot lower too!