Bye Bye Bananas

Thanks for both links. We stopped eating bananas last year, after learning about the social, environmental and habitat destruction caused by the industry. And we don't miss them - although it was a bit like taking cheese away from my husband at first.

I have been meaning to drop bananas from my diet for a while due to the labor issues and such. Is there any way to get some variety that is produced fairly? I would like to be able to eat some at least every now and then.

Whole Foods sells "Whole Trade" labelled bananas. That implies they are fair trade but I don't know what their standards really are.

I have been meaning to drop bananas from my diet for a while due to the labor issues and such. Is there any way to get some variety that is produced fairly? I would like to be able to eat some at least every now and then.

Whole Foods sells "Whole Trade" labelled bananas. That implies they are fair trade but I don't know what their standards really are.

The closest Whole Foods to me I think is near Chicago, about 45 minutes. Hm. I will see if the bananas my local coop has are fair trade.

Thanks for this article by the way, it got my butt back into gear to switch to a fair trade source or stop eating bananas.