A wake up call for females outdoors types...be careful

Emmybear

Right across the street from my house there is a park called Blanchard park. It has a huge trail that runs along a major river. I have been there many times to walk dogs or run. I was going to get a bike and start biking the trail because I love the outdoors. Well a girl that goes to my college went for a run there tuesday night at 6pm..still daylight...and her body was found yesterday...it looks like foul play. This is so sad it was not even dark yet. It is a wake up call and warning to women that like to work out outside...be careful go at a busy time during the day or bring a buddy. This is the third attack on a runner at that park but the other two were not injured. This is just tragic. I live in a pretty good part of Orlando. Haley I was never clear what ymca you went to or where you go running but be careful. There is a ymca at the park too. The girls body was found behind the post office her shoe was off and next to her. She was only 26 years old. This is so incredibly sad.

Edited by Emmybear

That's sad.

Not saying that's the case here, but as a general observation and bit of advice: the amount of women I see running - in woods too - with headphones. I passed a girl running a few weeks back on one of my trail runs, and told her it really isn't wise to run in headphones - especially not in the woods - and that I could of been anyone coming up behind her and she was oblivious as she couldn't hear me getting closer...

Blokes too - you never know what you need to be alert too - traffic, people calling out to you for whatever reason etc.

You need all your senses when running...

Agree with Tarz 100%.

This has happened with men here in utah also. A friend of mine runs in a cemetary and never stays past nightfall. But she said just the other day there were really creepy people seeming to follow her.

Since then she runs with a large can of bear mace.

That's scary cuz I was thinking about going running in the park today. I live in a city, but there's a lot of parks and whatnot in this area. I haven't checked it out yet to see how busy it is though. I know there's farms just down the road.

I did not know her...she was a grad student in a different program. Blanchard park is a very popular park frequented by families ,college students runners. Any time of day you can find someone there. This happened in broad daylight

in a busy area. It did not say anything about whether she was wearing headphones. She could have run on campus...or in the gym and she would have been fine. Blanchard park was the of two other attacks on females. I would only go there on saturday....and I always went with someone.

Self defense is being aware of your surroundings and knowing when you shouldnt be in a certain place at a certain time. There are usually tell-tale signs that you are in a place you shouldnt be in, or that someone is about to do violence to you.

Go to this website, all of you, please especially the girls:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

This man has been security for many celebrities, has been a bouncer, a gang member, a martial arts instructor. This website is LOADED with knowledge on how to keep yourself safe in any situation. He goes into the mindset of a criminal just before he does a "random attack" (which isnt really random to him), and how to avoid most of them. Basically how to not become a victim.