hello from phx, az

veganmama

Hello!

my name is Megan, I have been a vegetarian for 14 years (since the age of 12) and a Vegan for just one wonderful month. I had dabbled in veganism throughout my vegetarian years and was even doing the macrobiotic thing for a while before I became pregnant with my son (note:macrobiotics makes you super fertile!). Anyhow, my son is a year old now and I am ready to get my vegan groove back, I really feel like this is the right time for me... I have been having SO much fun cooking with fresh, local veggies and fruits from the farmers market and fun new ingredients from my favorite health food store (nutritional yeast! who knew?!?). I haven't been to the gym since I started with the vegan thing but I am ready to get back on that wagon! I am sure that I will find some great inspiration here! while I am not looking to be miss universe or anything I would like to lose about 20 lbs (currently 160, 5'7") and do something about this "baby belly" .

some more tidbits:

-I have a 4 year old daughter, Ella and a previously mentioned baby boy, Finn.

-My husband was raised by parents who don't even know what the word 'vegetarian' means but I recently got him to agree to go veg for a one month "trial" period He is doing really well!! (he is a sushi chef and regularly makes avocado rolls for Raja Bell so that's how I got him to agree to it..."if Raja can do it, don't you think you could too??" )

well that's about it...

Thanks guys!

peace

Welcome! And I know the feeling of being a vegetarian for a long time before jumping over. The funny thing that hits me now is that whenever I "slip" into eating vegetarian, I start to feel slightly ... grossed out? The same thing when you've been eating real well for a while and then one day have a bite at McDonald's.

Looking forward to your posts!

thanks for the welcome

I know!! we went up to the mountains for a little vacation last week and I was STARVING hungry one night and took a bite of my husband's cheese pizza before my vegan pad thai was done being microwaved (we were staying in a cabin and didn't bring a lot of groceries so we were living off of frozen food basically)....anyhow the cheese tasted SOOO gross to me!! That was a first!! I never thought I would "get over" cheese!

thanks again for the welcome guys... I forgot to mention that I don't know any other vegans so I am pretty excited about finding this forum.

And here's an annoying Q:

how do I add a pic to my avatar? I tried using picassa and I couldn't figure it out yeah, I'm not very tech savvy

Hello Megan! Welcome to the forum!

I'm a mom too, but my family is all teenager sons and a 19 year old daughter. Sigh. They grow up so fast. While I was at the post office yesterday I saw a little boy being twirled and swung around by his mom. To be so little and be able to do that again. My 17 year old son (who by the way is now 6'3") came in and wanted to know why I was taking so long as he was in the car waiting for me . . . as the driver. All I can say is that I am looking forward to having grandkids! and being healthy to be able to twirl and swing them to and fro!

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all!!

nice to know that I am not the only mom or the only Phoenician here! It is hard for me to think of Phoenix as a progressive place so I am happy to know there are some other vegans here (only half joking about that!)

Hello!

my name is Megan, I have been a vegetarian for 14 years (since the age of 12) and a Vegan for just one wonderful month. I had dabbled in veganism throughout my vegetarian years and was even doing the macrobiotic thing for a while before I became pregnant with my son (note:macrobiotics makes you super fertile!). Anyhow, my son is a year old now and I am ready to get my vegan groove back, I really feel like this is the right time for me... I have been having SO much fun cooking with fresh, local veggies and fruits from the farmers market and fun new ingredients from my favorite health food store (nutritional yeast! who knew?!?). I haven't been to the gym since I started with the vegan thing but I am ready to get back on that wagon! I am sure that I will find some great inspiration here! while I am not looking to be miss universe or anything I would like to lose about 20 lbs (currently 160, 5'7") and do something about this "baby belly" .

some more tidbits:

-I have a 4 year old daughter, Ella and a previously mentioned baby boy, Finn.

-My husband was raised by parents who don't even know what the word 'vegetarian' means but I recently got him to agree to go veg for a one month "trial" period He is doing really well!! (he is a sushi chef and regularly makes avocado rolls for Raja Bell so that's how I got him to agree to it..."if Raja can do it, don't you think you could too??" )

well that's about it...

Thanks guys!

peace

Hello! Wow, looks like you started out at a young age! I bet you feel really healthy! Sounds like you've been doing great!

Hmmm...macrobiotics makes you super fertile, you say? I need to go research that! My husband and I have been wanting to have children soon, and even though we're not using any form of birth control and just letting what happens happen, we're hoping I don't get pregnant until AFTER we make the change for a healthier diet. Also, I explained to him how much this heat and stress is getting to me, and he understands that I want to lose some weight first, so I don't smother in even more weight during these hot summer months. Also, my period's irregular (and who knows if I'm actually ovulating), so maybe a change in diet might make me more fertile! I hope so! lol. If not, maybe you can offer us some tips, eh?

Hello! Wow, looks like you started out at a young age! I bet you feel really healthy! Sounds like you've been doing great!

Hmmm...macrobiotics makes you super fertile, you say? I need to go research that! My husband and I have been wanting to have children soon, and even though we're not using any form of birth control and just letting what happens happen, we're hoping I don't get pregnant until AFTER we make the change for a healthier diet. Also, I explained to him how much this heat and stress is getting to me, and he understands that I want to lose some weight first, so I don't smother in even more weight during these hot summer months. Also, my period's irregular (and who knows if I'm actually ovulating), so maybe a change in diet might make me more fertile! I hope so! lol. If not, maybe you can offer us some tips, eh?

I swear the macrobiotics makes you sooo fertile! I know this is probably TMI but when we were trying to get pregnant the first time it took 8 months of not using birth control... but Finn was conceived with just one time w/o BC (when I was doing the macro thing). Definitely something to look into! I was pretty stunned to find out I was pregnant esp. because of how hard we tried the first time... little Finney is the "oops" child! I definitely credit the macrobiotics though. I have even heard of women who had miscarriage after miscarriage finally carrying a baby to term by doing macrobiotics. It's potent stuff!

I swear the macrobiotics makes you sooo fertile! I know this is probably TMI but when we were trying to get pregnant the first time it took 8 months of not using birth control... but Finn was conceived with just one time w/o BC (when I was doing the macro thing). Definitely something to look into! I was pretty stunned to find out I was pregnant esp. because of how hard we tried the first time... little Finney is the "oops" child! I definitely credit the macrobiotics though. I have even heard of women who had miscarriage after miscarriage finally carrying a baby to term by doing macrobiotics. It's potent stuff!

Wow, that's amazing! Yeah, I did a little searching online, and it looks like others have good success with it as well. Though it also looks like Vegans, Raw Foodists, and Fruitarians have good success as well. Hmmm...maybe it's just all about eating a much healthier non-animal diet? (You did say you were vegetarian mostly, so I presume you must've still consumed animal products (milk, eggs, etc.)? Though unless you consume too much of animal products, I don't see how it would lower fertility. ) *shrugs* I don't know. So many natural things confuse me! lol. I guess I'll just try to adjust to a Vegan diet for a few months or so first, then see how things go!

Wow, that's amazing! Yeah, I did a little searching online, and it looks like others have good success with it as well. Though it also looks like Vegans, Raw Foodists, and Fruitarians have good success as well. Hmmm...maybe it's just all about eating a much healthier non-animal diet? (You did say you were vegetarian mostly, so I presume you must've still consumed animal products (milk, eggs, etc.)? Though unless you consume too much of animal products, I don't see how it would lower fertility. ) *shrugs* I don't know. So many natural things confuse me! lol. I guess I'll just try to adjust to a Vegan diet for a few months or so first, then see how things go!

yes, I was eating a lot of eggs/milk when I was just vegetarian... I thought because I was eating "organic" that it was all good..... boy was I wrong!

yes, I was eating a lot of eggs/milk when I was just vegetarian... I thought because I was eating "organic" that it was all good..... boy was I wrong!

Well, that may have been your problem! lol. I found an article that claims too much galactose and too much insulin can make you infertile. Here, check it out for yourself:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_11_62/ai_66885573

So, apparently, as long as we reduce/avoid animal products (meats, eggs, dairy) and fatty foods, we should be really fertile! Which is great news to me, because for a while I was telling my husband that I was worried I might be infertile. So for us this is exciting news, and means that hopefully once we are on a Vegan diet for long enough, that I should be fertile!

Yeah, I am sure it will work! Once your body isn't in such turmoil having to deal with toxins, etc... I am sure you will be a baby making machine...hahaha.

I have an IUD now so no more babies for me for at least 5 years! 2 is a lot of work!!! My sanity can't afford any more "oops" babies! lol

Welcome fertility goddess! Glad to hear you're getting back on the vegan wagon and incorporating a fit lifestyle into your daily. You will find wonderful people here to share with inspire, be inspired and ask and give advice to. I wish I knew what the word vegetarian was at the age of twelve. I honestly don't think I even had the slightest idea what vegetarians were until college, maybe even later, let alone vegans. I may be exaggerating but I cannot remember.

Always proud to hear of another plant based dieter binging life into this world. There's hope for evolution just yet!

Arizona is an amazing state. I would totally live there but after my best friend in the whole wide world moved there, he told me the mayor of arizona specifically stated that there are no more nyc riff raff allowed there after he moved into town seriously!

Welcome aboard

Why would you ever want to come to a crummy place like AZ when you live in Brooklyn??!!??!!?? I am totally jealous of anyone who lives in NYC... we got married in the city (at city hall) and have always wanted to live there!! I am ssooooo envious! thanks for the warm welcome!

oh and the decision to be a vegetarian at the age of 12... I remember the EXACT moment I decided... I had my hands in a bowl of ground beef helping my dad make meatballs and I just knew that I could never put that stuff in my mouth again, and I NEVER did...but I was a pretty enlightened 12 year old... I was reading all kinds of books about Buddha and stuff I was a little hippie.