Shoes!

DTMExPAT

So here's the deal. I love shoes alot, and I'm having the hardest time finding a pair of vegan friendly shoes that I like. I love the look of shoes like Nike Air Stabs but I won't even ponder owning a pair due to the obvious materials used. Ive owned two pairs of vegan shoes, but both fall way short of what I want in a shoe.

The first pair were a pair of flatsoled camo laceups from Motive Co., a vegan straightedge clothing company.

The second being the Wallisters from Macbeth Shoes, that I purchased at MOO SHOES here in the city.

Does anyone have any shoes that aren't horrible they'd recommend? Or any "accidentally vegan" synthetic shoes they know and love?

Im dying here! Im tired of earth tones. Haha

I have some New Balance cross trainers, and running shoes, both are 100% manmade. I've asked them about the glue used in the shoes, and the reply I got was that they use a synthetic, and an animal glue, and at this point in time they can't really be sure which glues are used in which shoes. But the lady I emailed was very hopeful that fairly soon they would have a 100% vegan shoe where the glue is also manmade.

I have some New Balance cross trainers, and running shoes, both are 100% manmade. I've asked them about the glue used in the shoes, and the reply I got was that they use a synthetic, and an animal glue, and at this point in time they can't really be sure which glues are used in which shoes. But the lady I emailed was very hopeful that fairly soon they would have a 100% vegan shoe where the glue is also manmade.

Nice! Back by popular demand I guess. They used non-animal glue in their manmade shoes until some time around 2005 I think. It's nice to hear they are bringing it back!

What kind of shoes are you looking for? The materials usually used depend a lot on the type of shoe.

PayLess has a variety of shoes that are completely synthetic. Their shoes clearly identify on the tag in the tongue whether they contain leather or are made of "all man-made materials" (actually probably made by young Chinese female sweatshop laborers making 20 cents an hour). However, they're inexpensive shoes and although they're a great buy for those on a budget, you do to some extent get what you pay for. I wouldn't recommend, for instance, a pair of their running shoes to someone training for a marathon. Still, you can't beat $20 for a pair of shoes to just wear around, especially if you don't subject them to heavy use. My experience has been that the dress shoes I got from them have lasted for years precisely because I hardly ever dress up, but a pair of cross-trainers from them will last me 2-3 months if I wear them a lot and play a lot of sports in them.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the uppers of almost all running shoes these days vegan since nylon mesh is lighter and more breathable than leather? As Hayley points out, though, that may not be the case with the glue, so I guess it's important to look into that.

Jeff

Nice guys, Ill check them out, I miss the look of Air Stabs, Reeboks, stuff like that. I also used to have some Dunks I put through hell and back. I'll probably end up with some New Balances or something.. I guess what kills me is I want SOME COLOR! I need to get a job at a vegan shoe company as a product designer. Haha

New balance are nice. I have a pair of them for work/working out.

I have a fuckton of No Sweat chuck rip offs that I got cause they were on sale for 15 bucks a piece. 3-1 basically.

I also have a pair of adbusters Recycled Tire and Hemp boots. They also make a sneaker. Great company who gives you a share in their company when you buy there product so you can vote on what sort of products the company should make in the future.

I did not like macbeths because they disintegrated in less than a year of use. I have huge freak wide feet though, so that may have been why.

dude, i have the same problem. the only thing i find hard about veganism is finding good clothes (all jeans have freakin leather patches) and shoes. I'm really into old nikes the air maxes and so on. i also like the classics of new balance.

these are my current vegan favourite. air max light

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4392/27amlight85usedai3.jpg

vandals are always great, almost all of them are made of canvas and there are like 50 different colorways

http://www.illequipped.com/blog/img/vandal-supreme-blue-main.jpg

the rc 400 from new balance is totally vegan in these colors:

http://www.barlou.com/running/img/new-balance/nb_urc400bc_noirargt_0107_gm.jpg

NB a09 made of hemp (only this colorway)

http://www.kicksonfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/new-balance-a09-black-1.jpg

a lot of the air max 95s 97s and lights are vegan, but it can be really hard to find out sometimes.