Anyone with experience with a 5x5 routine?

I just recently decided to try out a new regimen. In addition to attempting to lose a bit of weight, I've been also working on increasing my strength. Specifically, improving my bench press, push up and chin up maximums, squat strength and unassisted dips. (I'm also doing 30 minutes of cardio, three times a week for simple heart health reasons.)

Up til now, I've been working exercises to failure, with three sets, on a three day split (working each bodypart twice a week.) (FYI, have been averaging about 1200 cals per day.) There's been very little strength improvement, so I'm looking to switch things up and try the following 5x5 regimen:

MWF: 5x5 for Front sumo squats, stiff legged deadlifts, pullups, pushups, bench presses and dips on the Gravitron. (I'm also throwing in a few crunches for good measure.) On alternate days, I'm doing 30-45 minutes of cardio.

Would love anyone's thoughts on the routine, suggestions or personal experiences with 5x5 training.

Thanks in advance! (If this works, I promise to provide after pictures...! )

-Janet (VnNYC)

I did it many years ago at the suggestion of Robert. That was the most productive time I've ever had strength training. After about 2 years I began to change things, and now i'm pretty lazy and accomplishing little, lost a good deal of strength. I totally recommend giving it a shot.

...sounds great! (I did a 5x5 today, and really enjoyed it, although it does truly feel like not enough work.)

What does the average person do for rests? IE: how long between sets, and do you do another exercise while waiting, or just rest until the next group of reps?

Thx..!

One more thing about 5x5 - the idea is to add about 5-10 pounds to what you lift each week if you made all 5 reps for all 5 sets.

So one week might be 5x5 at 200 pounds for deadlifts. Since you got them all you add 10 pounds and try to do 5x5 at 210 next week. If you make all 5 sets try 220 on the third week. If you don't make them all, try 210 again until you do make them all. Remember progression is key, you should add weight to each lift every week or two.

So if it's not enough work just add more weight!

2-5 minutes no more

I feel like 5 minutes rest between sets tends to make my workouts a lot less intense of an experience. If you rest 90 seconds to 3 minutes tops it really pushes you and I've been told it results in significantly better gains.

With that said I think 5x5's are helping me increase my strength. Has anyone had any good experiences with their bench doing this? I haven't tried it yet but my barbell curls have gone up from 70 lbs to 90 lbs through 5x5's.

When I started lifting I tried to lose weight also. I tried the 5x5 routine and I have to say that I only felt frustrated with it since I made no progress due to fact that I was eating too little.

Now I am around 226 lbs and been steadily eating A LOT of food. After reading this topic I think I'm going to give the routine a new chance since I think i screwed it up in the first place because of poor amount of food.

What I am trying to say is that I don't suggest this routine if your goal is to lose weight. This is only based on my personal experience, but there you have it.

2-5 minutes no more

I feel like 5 minutes rest between sets tends to make my workouts a lot less intense of an experience. If you rest 90 seconds to 3 minutes tops it really pushes you and I've been told it results in significantly better gains.

Time Between Sets:

Don't over think this. Use a natural rep speed, take what you need between sets. Don't be lazy but don't rush. You can't be doing rapid fire sets of big compound lifts. Maybe on the lightest warm-ups you take a minute but most sets will be 2-5 minute range with 2 being between fairly easy sets and 5 being after a heavy set in preparation for another very serious major effort that drains you. I can see exceeding the 5 minute limit by a tad when really pushing near failure in the PR weeks when you are uncertain of getting your reps on your last set. Just use your brain and don't micromanage.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

A few followups on the 5x5 routine. Right now, I'm doing M,W,F on weights, and T,Th, Sa cardio.

1) Should I be doing cardio at all, or will that just take away from my muscle gains?

2) It's a little hard to fit in all the weight (compound) exercises on one day with decent rest in between in the time alotted, so I'm mulling doing a 2 day weight split: with weights on M, Tu, Th, F (and cardio on W, Sa.) What has everyone else's experience been re: hitting each muscle part twice vs. three times a week with 5 x 5?

Thanks...!!

A few followups on the 5x5 routine. Right now, I'm doing M,W,F on weights, and T,Th, Sa cardio.

1) Should I be doing cardio at all, or will that just take away from my muscle gains?

2) It's a little hard to fit in all the weight (compound) exercises on one day with decent rest in between in the time alotted, so I'm mulling doing a 2 day weight split: with weights on M, Tu, Th, F (and cardio on W, Sa.) What has everyone else's experience been re: hitting each muscle part twice vs. three times a week with 5 x 5?

Thanks...!!

I did Bill Starr's Intermidiate 5x5 the way the program says to do it 3 days a week. However I left out the weighted dips (I did not have a parallel dipping bar), tricep extentions (my triceps were fried after Bench Pressing), and weighted hypers (I did not have a hyper station).

I did the routine in the mornings M, W, F and practiced Muay Thai in the evenings. I did abs and went to Muay Thai class T, TH, S.

I don't know if you'll get the same results from this routine with a split. I never do split routines, personal preference.

Everyones strength/conditioning level is different. You'll have to decide what your body can and cannot handle.

Well, it's too early to really post any results for the new 5x5 routine, but I've definitely tweaked it a bit as I've gone along... Right now, the routine runs something like this:

MWF: Gravitron pullups, Gravitron Dips, Military Press, Bench Press, Leg Curls, Leg Press, Leg Extensions, Weighted Back Extensions (the Leg exercises are due to a semi-trick knee, which seems to handle them better than squats.) Also, a handful of 10 rep pushups when possible, just because I want to improve in that area.

T, TH, Sa: 30-45 minutes on the Elliptical

Aside from the fact that I'm not a huge fan of cardio (boring, somewhat painful), I tried to fit in the cardio to keep the heart benefits acoming. But I'm wondering if for now I should just cut out the cardio and focus on building some solid muscle. Any thoughts?

FYI - re diet, I find I'm relaxing a bit and allowing in a bit more carbs and calories - mostly with whole wheat pitas, potatoes and oatmeal. Protein, mostly from Boca Burgers. (Okay, I'm guilty of being less than perfect with the whole foods...but darn it, they're convenient!)

If/Once you are lifting heavy on a 5x5 you'll probably be getting nearly out of breath in the later sets. If you're not planning on running a marathon anytime soon, this should be good enough for keeping your heart healthy.

If your diet and lifting are in sync you'll also loose fat while gaining muscle, though a bit more slowly than if doing cardio.

• 3 weeks later...

Status update: have to admit, I've sort of been doing more of a 4x8 routine these days, but so far so good. I'm considering supplementing (a little) with creatine, to see how that goes. I've never been a huge supplement fan, but I'm curious.

One thing I've really started using, and LOVE...my stopwatch! I brought it in to properly time my sets for the 5x5, and find it's great for overall use at the gym. (I find I have no consistency of rest time between sets, if I do it by feel.) With the stop watch, it's uniform and really works well...!

• 4 months later...