We made the front page of Windows Live MSN

Lena01

I use MSN as my messenger and they have a small window featuring Sympatico news. The main article today was: "Going Vegan: Is it worth it?". It's not a deep insight article but still, vegans are front window lol. What I don't like at all it's that it's on the Entertainment section!

http://entertainment.sympatico.ca/Going+Vegan/Bollywood/Articles/GoingVegan.htm?isfa=1

Nice. It is a mixed article... good that they do talk about veganism in a positive way and that it is even mentioned at all. But they do talk a bit of bollocks in there I have to say:

"there’s no substantial research to suggest that a vegan diet is healthier than a regular diet"

sure! This is bogus, especially when they are talking about a "regular diet". A regular diet means SAD right?

"Adopting a vegan diet isn’t as easy as choosing to stop eating animal flesh and animal-derived foods and ingredients though. The absence of meat, fish, poultry and dairy represents a loss of much needed iron, calcium and vitamin b. (Protein is easily found in nuts, chickpeas, nut butters, tofu, lentils, beans, soy products.) Those seriously considering making the shift to a vegan diet should ensure that they are getting sufficient amounts of these three essential minerals and vitamins"

It really depends on the diet that the omnivore had to start with, and the specifics of the diet they are shifting to, surely. If an omnivore is already eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, then cuts out the meat, eggs and dairy, then I don't really see that they are losing much - they'd be gaining a lot more by replacing those things with vegetables and fruit right?

If an omnivore isn't eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, then I doubt that their diet is healthy to start with. So then simply getting rid of the meat, dairy and eggs would leave them with whatever other things they are eating - presumably primarily grains - which would be unhealthy sure, but it's not like they weren't unhealthy to start with.

Thanks ! I'm gonna read that. Eventhough it looks like it's the usual article about veganism saying it can be healthy but that it can be deficient, like Richard said... "in calcium" ?? Lol, sugesting that the calcium in dairies is superior to calcium in plant-based food, this is a comment we could qualify of pro-dairy and anti-vegan, based on no scientific data.

I use MSN as my messenger and they have a small window featuring Sympatico news. The main article today was: "Going Vegan: Is it worth it?". It's not a deep insight article but still, vegans are front window lol. What I don't like at all it's that it's on the Entertainment section!

http://entertainment.sympatico.ca/Going+Vegan/Bollywood/Articles/GoingVegan.htm?isfa=1

Not a bad article at all. It stuck to the facts and I like that it talked about vegan diets in neutral terms, which to me means it is entering the mainstream mind space.

"there’s no substantial research to suggest that a vegan diet is healthier than a regular diet"

sure! This is bogus, especially when they are talking about a "regular diet". A regular diet means SAD right?

"Adopting a vegan diet isn’t as easy as choosing to stop eating animal flesh and animal-derived foods and ingredients though. The absence of meat, fish, poultry and dairy represents a loss of much needed iron, calcium and vitamin b. (Protein is easily found in nuts, chickpeas, nut butters, tofu, lentils, beans, soy products.) Those seriously considering making the shift to a vegan diet should ensure that they are getting sufficient amounts of these three essential minerals and vitamins"

Well I guess they're correct that there is not much research comparing vegan and SAD diet. But considering what the "regular" diet is, of processed foods, dairy, fried factory farmed eggs and meats of very unhealthy and badly treated animals, a non-junk vegan diet certainly will be healthier.

Yeah, the loss of calcium is obviously pro-dairy anti-vegan thing. All the research I've seen shows dairy is counterproductive to the goals of most Americans, which is preventing bone loss and getting less calories.