Dips - Parallel or lower?

GRardB

I was checking on Exrx.net to see if there was a different between bench dips and regular dips in terms of the muscles they target. I noticed in the clip for regular dips, the guy is going down until his shoulders are almost touching the bars. They also write "Lower body until slight stretch is felt in shoulders." in the instructions.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtTriDip.html

I recently started doing Olympic Squats instead of Powerlifting Squats, so I'm open-minded about things like this. Is it bad for you to go past parallel, which is the stopping point for most people (as far as I've seen), or should it be avoided?

Thanks,

Gerard

P.S: A far as my dips experience goes, I'm doing sets with 25lbs strapped on (going parallel), so I'm decent at them (I guess).

I don't see any point in going as low as that guy is going.

In fact, that website has a lot of great old-school exercises, but I have a problem with the form that is demonstrated in most of them.

I don't think its any more effective at all to go past parallel on tricep dips and way to much stress on the shoulder joints...

I go as deep as I can (like the guy in the demonstation). No shoulder problems for me. No shoulder discomfort for me. It feels natural going through the whole range of motion. Currently using 45#'s for dips. Can't wait to build a dip station at the house! I say do what your comfortable with. If your dipping really deep and your shoulders feel like a pepper grinder, then i'd probably not go so deep

Just because you don't have shoulder problems now doesn't mean that you might not later!

The way I see it is as far as lifting goes, I am extremely careful not to go too deep, because it may lead to problems with joints years from now.I know most people probably don't agree, but it's working for me, and I never get injured from lifting because I'm very careful about rom, and try my best to have good form.

Do you do half curls? 3/4 bench press? I don't see why people will do full ROM with certain exercises, yet other movements are the worse thing in the world. Full range of motion in every movement FTW.
I agree although I don't think it's necessary to go below parallel on dips. Maybe I think that about dips because I'm not flexible enough to go any further than parellel. adamx if you don't feel any shoulder discomfort then keep doing what you're doing. I Full Squat and I've never felt any discomfort with my knees.

I tried going low on dips today, I felt like I was going to die. My left shoulder felt terrible afterwards. I don't think I'll be doing it below parallel...

About that link, though. It's strange to me that it says going until the bar touches your chest is bad for your shoulders. It says

Place your arm in the bench press position and allow your arm to lower to its passive end range of motion (Figure 2). This is the position where the arm naturally stops without being forced.

I did that at the gym today, and my hands were basically where they are when I bench (and the bar touches my chest). Is it different for different people? Can some people go lower than others and not get affected? I dunno, but another thing is that when I do pushups, I go until my chest taps the ground, which is about the same ROM I believe. Pushups did wonders for my shoulder when it was injured.