Where should I buy Weights

no_oops

I'm so ticked off right now. I just went and bought two 25 lb. dumbbells at K-mart. When i got home I decided to throw them on the bathroom scale just to make sure they're accurate. One of them is exactly 25 lbs. and the other one is 23.5!!! ERRRRR. What would you recomend I do? Should I return them, and get another set at the same store, or should I get them somewhere else? The reason I got them at K-mart is because they were each 24 dollars, and that was the cheapest price i could find.

That's unfortunate, but as is said, DBs and weight plates can all vary a bit from one to the next, so it's always a bit of a gamble. Just to check, did you weigh both DBs multiple times to ensure that it wasn't just a scale fluctuation? I'd make sure to weigh them both about 3 times each just to make sure that what the scale says is 100% on the mark.

Best bet is, if it is not an issue, take your scale to the store you bought the DBs at and weigh out a few until you get an ideal match and then you'll go home satisfied. Otherwise, as far as buying weights, most places will all be about the same for general weights, as only the really expensive competition weight plates are calibrated to be exact and won't have any variance in them.

If you want cheap, try to find a Play it Again Sports in your area, or, look on Craigslist as you can usually find people in your area getting rid of equipment for a fraction of what you'd pay brand new.

Try places like Sports Authority when they have sales and coupons. Normally those places are rips-off, but I did manage to pick up a 300 lb oly barbell set for $120 a few months ago.
That's a sweet deal. I saw a set at Modells for $200 over the summer.

That's a sweet deal. I saw a set at Modells for $200 over the summer.

Yeah, and I'm pretty happy with it. The set was originally $199.99 but was on sale for $159.99 and there was a 25% off friends and family coupon I used. The bar's pretty solid though it's a 35 lb bar. The included collars are garbage, but I can buy better ones.