What's A Reasonable Gym Membership Cost?

What's A Reasonable Gym Membership Cost (per year)  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Reasonable, to me, is $45 or less per month. I've had memberships with prices all over the place, anywhere from individual sessions at $5.00 through $75/month for an upscale club that was near my old place. It all depends, though, on what you need for your workouts and what you want for atmosphere. Nicer clubs tend to cost the most, but they're the ones that have good lockers, plenty of TVs for everyone on cardio equipment, and the newest machines that you're going to see. I've been to dungeon gyms that have everything I could ever want in the way of basic equipment that were cheap, but they usually tend to be dirty pits and aren't attractive to those who want a club-type atmosphere.

I currently pay $10/month for my Bally's membership as I joined about 14 years ago and get great rates now for being a long-term member. But, I also pay $42/month for my 24-hour gym as a backup for the fact that half of the week I don't get to train until about 10 PM. And, that's STILL cheaper than half the gyms in my area, so it's a decent deal.

If you happen to have any of the Cardinal Fitness chains in your area, they're about the best standard deal I've come across at only $19.95/month for individual memberships and $31.95 for couples. They're pretty no-frills, but clean, kept up, a fair assortment of equipment so you get what you need. There's been a proliferation of franchise gyms in the past few years, and they tend to be on the more reasonable side of things. Otherwise, if you'll be in the same area for a long time, Bally's is usually a decent bet if you have one nearby. After you pay off the initial 2 years @ around $40/month, you'll get the long-term member rates which are usually pretty decent and about half that much per month afterward. Of course, if you were fortunate enough to sign up about 20 years ago, you'd pay about $5/month for life to be a member, which is about as good of a deal as I've ever seen.

Right now I'm paying $39 a month, and that is the student rate. Normally my gym is $49 a month. The $39 seems completely reasonable for me, for the gym I go to, especially because I do use the yoga classes frequently. If I was just going to use the free weights and leave, that might feel a little more on the steep side.

• 4 weeks later...

I was with Life Time Fitness here in MN but I decided to cancel my memembership due to the fact that I wasn't using some of their other services and was still being charged for it. I paid $56 per month, so roughly $672 per year. I really only go to the gym for the free weights, machines, and cardio machines. No swiming or any of that other stuff. And you have to cancel 30 days in advance with a written notice, pretty wack since they charge you an extra month. :/