Xtra Protein a myth!!!

RAINRA

It seems now a days that people are obsessed with protein... how am I gonna get protein? You read it in magazines... supplent companies tell you to buy their protein to enhance muscle growth but at the end... it is all sales. I think meal replacers are fine if you can't get to food. What protein are you taking many ask... I found out that the ones who started that myth were the meat and dairy industry to start campaigns to get people to buy more of their products several decades back and since no one tried to disprove them because they did such a good job of convincing people that the idea is still around. It seems people still believe that myth. Protein is important don't get me wrong, but I don't think it is 1.5 grams per pound that is way to much and most of us are getting to much even on a vegan diet. If your shrinking it is because your not eating enough calories and long distance athletes tend to canoblise their own muscle since they sometimes don't get enough calories.

I am sure there are plenty out there who will want to argue against my point but I am telling you if you eat a complete whole foods diet and feed the muscle and push your muscles to grow that is all you need... you will never need extra creatine, supplements or whatever magazines and people tell you. If you want to build muscle be consistent and push hard to make the muscles grow. 3 times 10 reps is sometimes bad to follow.. .I think pushing your muscles to their tired but not to injury is the way.

If you take extra stuff it only is money going to waste...

... here is a man who breaks those myths eating a most of his diet on just raw greens.

Nature Love: 3

http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/08/natures-way-get.html

listen to learn more

http://files.welikeitraw.com/podcasts/wlir-interview-nature-love-2.mp3

It seems now a days that people are obsessed with protein... how am I gonna get protein? You read it in magazines... supplent companies tell you to buy their protein to enhance muscle growth but at the end... it is all sales. I think meal replacers are fine if you can't get to food. What protein are you taking many ask... I found out that the ones who started that myth were the meat and dairy industry to start campaigns to get people to buy more of their products several decades back and since no one tried to disprove them because they did such a good job of convincing people that the idea is still around. It seems people still believe that myth. Protein is important don't get me wrong, but I don't think it is 1.5 grams per pound that is way to much and most of us are getting to much even on a vegan diet. If your shrinking it is because your not eating enough calories and long distance athletes tend to canoblise their own muscle since they sometimes don't get enough calories.

I am sure there are plenty out there who will want to argue against my point but I am telling you if you eat a complete whole foods diet and feed the muscle and push your muscles to grow that is all you need... you will never need extra creatine, supplements or whatever magazines and people tell you. If you want to build muscle be consistent and push hard to make the muscles grow. 3 times 10 reps is sometimes bad to follow.. .I think pushing your muscles to their tired but not to injury is the way.

If you take extra stuff it only is money going to waste...

... here is a man who breaks those myths eating a most of his diet on just raw greens.

Nature Love: 3

http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/08/natures-way-get.html

listen to learn more

http://files.welikeitraw.com/podcasts/wlir-interview-nature-love-2.mp3

Arguments for extra protein when body building have been discussed at length in other topics on this forum, so I will leave it alone here.

No one needs creatine and supplements,

Bodybuilders take them because they help you get results faster.

There are a number of people on this forum, including myself, who have had massive gains with the help of these products, that did not happen with a whole food diet.

There will be plenty of people who will jump up and down and rave about how built this guy is, and how huge he is etc...

I'm one of those people who requires more information.

1. The photos are all carefully posed, with correct lighting and the right angles etc - he isn't actually that big, he is defined sure, but I have

seen bigger raw foodists.

2. He seems to be wearing Bone plugs in his ears.

I agree some results will come faster with any enhancement product. That is why so many lifters use growth hormone and steroids. I am not saying you do it your wrong... All I am saying if you do use supplements that your wrong to use them. One just does not need it as you said. This post was for beginners or people who still think you need to supplement all the time on protein and extra supplements to get results. I think some people believe that you need them to grow muscle or to keep muscle. I am just letting people know that all is supplement stuff is an extra thing and not a requirement.

I am not saying he is huge but he got good muscle.

Arms - sure

Shoulders - maybe

Chest, traps, back - no

Tattoos - nooooo

I'm not very impressed. L&G looks a hell of a lot better and is a much better example that raw food works for bodybuilders (he eats more protein though so it might not be as intresting )

There are many, many, many scientific studies which show that protein supplement do work. For example:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/soy_whats_the_big_deal

Specifically, let's take a look at a three-month study looking at the effects of different protein types on body composition during a strength training program.

In this study, the researchers provided daily supplements containing 50 grams of a variety of proteins — either soy concentrate, soy isolate, a soy isolate/whey blend, or a whey blend.

Twenty participants added these supplements, in conjunction with a resistance training program. At the end of the three months, a significant increase in muscle mass was noticed with all of the protein supplemented groups. Interestingly, no significant differences were found among Testosterone, body fat, or body weight between the groups.

In the end, the authors concluded that 12 weeks of soy protein supplementation (50 grams per day) was as effective as the other protein types when it comes to boosting muscle mass during a strength training program.

Interestingly, as some people have suggested, soy supplementation doesn't seem to decrease Testosterone or limit lean body mass gains. It's important to note that similar studies have been done using soy-containing supplemental nutrition bars, and the results have been consistent.

In yet another study, researchers found that elite gymnasts supplementing with soy protein (1 g/kg) for four months, saw favorable changes in their stress responses to training (when compared to the gymnasts not using any supplemental protein at all).

Finally, a Romanian study using Olympic athletes supplemented participants with soy protein (1.5 g/kg) for eight weeks. In the end, the authors found that the soy protein supplementation led to increased body mass (approximately 3 kg, mostly from lean body mass) and strength indexes. Significant decreases of fatigue were found after training sessions.

You have to be really talented and equipped with good genetics if you want to get in really good shape without lots of protein. I'm not, so I'll stick to my protein.

I agree supplements can build muscle maybe faster. I am not saying it can't. I am sure there are raw foodist out there with better builds than this guy. The comment I was making was you can build muscle without anything extra. No extra stuff. What is impressive is he eats almost his whole diet on leafy greens and a few other veggies. But anyway I am not saying this guy is arnold... but in my opinion I think it is pretty cool that this guy can build muscle with with no nuts or extra powders etc...

and what I am saying...

not saying you can't build muscle or more muscle on those supplements or extra protein in a shorter time that is not what I am stating that is for another arguement. I agree with every comment so far that yeah you can use supplements to build muscle but it is not important. I am just saying you can really build muscle just with raw or cooked food. Most all food has protein from greens to oranges to nuts seeds if you getting good whole foods your body will not require more to fix the muscle and make the muscle stronger. so yeah you are all right in what you say I am not arguing against.

Really some people, specially beginners who are trying to build muscle, feel that they need to spend tons of money on supplements and believe mainly if they do a little weight training and they take the supplements they are going to eventually look like Arnold. The key to build muscle .... forcing your muscle to work harder and then feeding it with what it needs which you can get from food and allowing it time to rest. It is pretty simple.

I can actually agree on everything you said there. You don't need supplements to build muscle, nor you need vicious amounts of protein. It just makes it a bit easier but the basis of good physique is always proper nutrition from real food.

However.........for some of us, it's very difficult to maintain lean mass while cutting unless we keep our circulating amino acid levels fully replenished. Which means upping our protein intake, especially if we're tweaking our metabolisms by going low carb at times.

Every time I consume protein I feel super strong. Whenever I drink a half-gallon of soymilk I feel like my muscles pulsate. Every time I consume a pound of Pasta or a whole cube of Tofu I feel like I can lift trucks. Every time I eat tons of beans I feel like my arse gets a good workout.

I <3 U Protein.