New

DCNINJA

New to veg lifestyle and so far so good. I started coming toward vegan about a year ago. I decided to slowly wean myself away from animal products. I knew this would be a huge change from a stereo-typical bodybuilder lifestyle. The biggest reasons for me were ethical and health reasons.

I am a huge animal freak. I take in every stray that comes along. Cats, dogs, squirrels, birds, you name it, I care for it. It just seemed janus faced of me to eat animals.

The health concerns started a few years back when a friend of mine developed cancer at 34. She was fit and vibrant, and got cancer with almost no warning. She started on a diet that was essentially vegan. Now a few years later she looks and feels better than ever before. I am sold.

Today I am about thirty weeks out from competing. I am about where I want to be, but have the usual fears about not getting enough protein, etc. This will obviously be my first animal free contest, so I am anxious to see how my body changes.

Any encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Awesome! Great to have you here! I think we have over a dozen members from this forum competing in 2009. Check out the bodybuilding sections and training journals sections to find out who's getting on stage!

I really look forward to watching your progress and success!

All the best and welcome aboard!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, Steve! Sounds like you're doing just the thing that feels right for you!

Sounds like you're really kicking it! What I'd LOVE to see are progress photos. There aren't really that many competitive bodybuilders who are vegan or almost vegan. Good luck with your cutting!

It's awesome to see people following their heart. I read about a woman with cancer who is healthier than ever with a vegan diet. Casein grows tumors, that's the protein in milk and what furniture glue is made from, I hear. I think it was in VegNews recently.

You'll get awesome advice here. This forum is fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you talk about cancer survivors who have gone vegan. I have a friend who did exactly that a few years ago. She is in the best shape of her life. I become more and more convinced that meat is really killing us. Since my friend's experience I have talked to several cancer docs. Everyone has agreed that a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is at the top of the list for avoiding cancer.