Recent Strongman Training

ralst

Hey all,

I thought I'd post up a recent training video of some strongman stuff. I train with Team Big Sac, a strongman group here in California. Over the last few months due to work/injuries of various members it was hard to get everyone together for training, but today pretty much all members were present and accounted for, and it was a lot of help with motivation and advice, particularly on the atlas stones. I loaded a 330lb stone for the first time ever, and pretty much everyone else set a PR as well.

Here's the vid. I'm the guy with glasses who appears first in the video.

Thanks all. Strongman training is a lot of fun

_raVen_ - Yeah, Bree's been training with us for a while now. She did her first competition a few months ago and is getting really strong.

robert - If you're ever in Sacramento or the Bay Area, let me know. The gym is awesome, and other than my fiance, I've yet to get in a workout with a fellow vegan, so that'd be badass.

Couture547 - same goes for you. I had no idea there was anyone on here so close. I'll send you a PM

Lookin' good, Ralst! Now, let's see you be the first vegan I know of to pull off a 400 lb. stone load I assume that's the new training facility - I saw on the MarundeMuscle site that the Mickeys were moving and that your training spot would be changing. Looks like a great place! I wish that LA was closer so that I could take a side-trip to train with you when I'll be out that way in March, but perhaps another time.

Raven - stone lifting is actually done with a rounded back, as you can't get a proper lift by using your legs. You can't have your legs apart far enough to use them instead of your back for getting the stone off the ground, as with wide stance there's no way to set it in your lap to re-grip for the 2nd part of the lift. It's actually not a bad thing to lift some objects in round-back style, so long as you have the strength to do it. It's when Joe or Jane Couch Potato decides that they need to pick up something with a rounded back that's well beyond their abilities where they end up getting hurt.

Thanks VE I can't say when a 400lb stone will be loaded, but I hope to get the 360 pretty soon.

That is the new training place. Keith Saunders (I think he posts some on Marunde) is one of the owners of the local Powerhouse Gym, so it's about as strongman-friendly as you can find.

Yeah, unfortunately LA is a bit of a drive. Any time you're in the area though, it would be great to get a workout in with you.