Nutrients to combat Disease "People like that must b Quacks

RAINRA

So thinks the medical community

This scientist was always pushing nutrition on the front of medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Pauling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomolecular_medicine#Criticism

sites like this one try to make (FDA look like heroes) Whomever runs this site is backed by Big Pharma.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/QA/qa.html

As with so many things in life, not all of this is black and white. Not all conventional medicine is good or bad and not all unconventional medicine is good or bad. IMO, taking what is good from both fields yields the best results - but this requires an ability to truly understand biochemical, physiological and nutritional concepts. And even then we're at a loss because we're still in the dark ages of medicine and nutritional science.

As for positions taken by certain organizations, it's important to understand that once an organization takes a position then members of that organization may be bound for legal reasons to treat that position as "standard of care" or "practice guidelines," etc. Most of you have never been accused of malpractice - when you are, all of the fine print becomes important and treatments not endorsed by your certifying association label you as not following standard practice. It's not a perfect system but practitioners in this country have to work under the assumption that any non-approved treatment plan can come back at them in a negative way. Patients are thrilled when they get better - be it by conventional or non-conventional treatment. When something goes wrong, which happens all the time in any system then patients often expect that "someone will pay for this." A malpractice suit (almost a professional death sentence in this atmosphere) brings out the sharks and an unconventional treatment, at fault or not, can be the focus of a malpractice case.

I agree, but being alive now with the genesis of stem cell technology and portable, cheap brain scanning is like being alive shortly after the steam engine was invented and electricity was starting to be used, with the industrial revolution just around the corner. We haven't seen anything yet of the physical and psychological health innovations to come.

About a month ago I read an article about a British scientist who grew a woman a new wind pipe from her own adult stem cells. He said if his rate of progress remains steady that in 10 -15 years nobody will need to get organ transplants from a donor. Immune problems, rejection drugs, will be a memory.

About a month ago I read an article about a British scientist who grew a woman a new wind pipe from her own adult stem cells. He said if his rate of progress remains steady that in 10 -15 years nobody will need to get organ transplants from a donor. Immune problems, rejection drugs, will be a memory.

I'm sceptic when I hear things like this. We have tried our best but the big bullies (CVD, Cancer, HIV, Malaria, viruses, etc) are still around. There are areas where we have been very successful (antibiotics, vaccines, etc) but there is, IMO, an over confidence in believing that modern medicine will (in the near future) solve some seriously complicated issues. The track record is not nearly as good as some wants us to believe (and most do believe).