Colin Campbell Says too much protein is to much protein

RAINRA

I'll listen to what he says later, but my opinion is that too much of everything or anything is too much and never results in better health, so it's harmful to health. The question is what is enough and what is too much. A doctor said that enough Vitamin C is 10,000x more than the recommanded amount.

Kind of like the current vitamin D recommendation crisis...

Personally I think if your goal is a long life, then 10% protein is a good ratio to shoot for. If you are training for bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. then probably more like 25 or 30% is a better goal. For endurance sports, probably only 15% or so. It really just depends on what you are looking for....

I listened to his 2005 lectures and he definitely tends to talk as protein being meat protein as so called "protein".

I think this is why he makes it confusing. He says protein and then he corrects himself a few times saying protein coming from animals is what he meant to say. He does focus on casein. Not other meat protein. Although he says that he would bet on his house that all meat protein has the same affect on fueling cancer cells. Because they tried wheat protein and soy protein and it caused no effect like casein did. He talks about whey for a little bit and the interviewer asks him if he thinks whey is the same? His response that he would be sure of it that whey is equal to casein protein in its ability to activate cancer.

I been listening to his interviews on his site.

All this seem rather abstract to me, eventhough I don't doubt a second that most animal products can be carcinogenic especially when cooked, irradiated, processed and added with all the chimic stuff. But is he saying anything about maybe a difference between raw proteins and cooked proteins or between organic and conventionnal ? Like between raw milk and irradiated or boiled milk or processed whey isolate protein; or between raw meat and cooked meat?

I listened to his lectures on his site.

The basic breakdown is that most of the investigation he did on his own was dairy and it's effects on human health.

Dairy (milk and cheese) being the worst of the animal based sources. He saw it turn on cancer by fertilizing cancer growth. Plus he goes into lots of factors on how milk is the most allergenic food out there even the government will agree to that. He seen plenty of studies and read the literature on meat and animal based products. Seen that it increase disease. He has seen people reverse disease on top of that, from avoiding animal products. He says that maybe we are not all entirely vegetarian based on past thoughts but if we were to eat some creature he said that it would be probably insects. Yet he says there is a lot of evidence saying that we are without doubt largely and mainly a plant eating species. The amount of animal protein consumed in the western cultures is way more than any human was designed to eat if any. So all those vegetarians who think they are doing something for their health by just reducing the animals meats... they probably should have eliminated dairy first. Dairy he says creates growth and a lot in the cells.

He does add that we need sun. Sun is important as we know for Vitamin D. Dairy even if it has vitamin D added still may not stop the affects of cancer from dairy or brittle bones. He even goes into cholesterol and says that just cause your cholesterol is high does not mean it is bad. It is really about ratio he says good to bad cholesterol. Some people even with low cholesterol still there were cases where they got heart disease. About Vitamin D he says that the measure of Vitamin D testing that they do is all wrong because they test the livers storage of Vitamin D. It should be the final conversion form they should test which is done in the kidneys after the liver converts it. Just cause the levels would be high in the liver it does not mean your body is good at converting Vitamin D and using it right. Today he says there is no reason to consume animal foods.

anyways if you do have the time I recommend this interview at the bottom of the page. It is the first time I got to hear T colin campbell spill all the knowledge he knows on the subject of dietary and environmentally influences on disease. Very good and interesting. Each section is an hour. There is also a link to an outline to what they talk about in each section if your more interested in finding out more in a particular section.