The Ultimate Cutting Diet for vegans - a work in progress

dropSoul

See this page for ideas on how to get a mother load of protein for when you're cutting. Use common sense.

I created this page to address the death x 7 cow, cow, fishy, birdy, etc., found when you google "cutting diet" it's for men and since we are so damn ethical -- and that's a rocking thing -- we have to work on it since one size doesn't fit all. So read this page and get some ideas but read it all.

Thanks!

Edited by dropSoul

That diet looks very similar to the Palumbo diet, probably a knock off by someone. I don't know why they would recommend simple sugars after training though, a ketogenic diet would generally involve low intensity cardio and short, intense weight training sessions, therefore reducing the need to use post workout sugars.

I think the diet would be easy to veganise, it would however need the person following it to eat a lot of tofu, seitan and processed vege burgers etc, to keep the carbohydrate content down.

I agree Dropsoul, a vegan cutting diet which is quick and easy to find when diets are searched for would be great

I can try to come up with something, but I'm certainly no expert. In fact "most" people on the forum may know more about nutrition than I do...I just have a unique ability to put things into action with the kind of consistency that yields positive results. So even if I don't know the exact details, I know the direction to go in and push myself extremely hard.

I will list of the things I do but I can't guarantee it will work for everyone.

A few lists like this will be very good.

The only thing I've composed on the subject is this:

Vegan Bodybuilder's Pre-Contest Diet

by Vegan Bodybuilder Robert Cheeke January 7th 2007

In competitive bodybuilding, we typically have different �seasons� just like other athletes. We have our competitive season where we spend as long as 16 weeks preparing for a single competition; and we may compete multiple times throughout the year. During our off-season we bulk up, add mass, eat more of a variety of foods and we don�t get near a stage or bright lights (unless we�re guest posing or presenting awards at a contest.).

In the off-season, I eat pretty much whatever I want. I consume vegan ice-cream, chips, bagels, as well as more quality foods such as tofu, stir-fried vegetables, sandwiches, lentil soups, burritos, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, bars, and shakes. I don�t count calories, grams of protein, carbs, or fat. I just eat about 8-12 times per day (not necessarily meals, but times) and drink around a gallon of water each day. I like to eat as much as possible, train as hard as I can and add a significant amount of size when I�m not cutting fat to compete. In the off season I�ll typically eat about 5,000 calories a day, including around 300 grams of protein daily.

The pre-contest diet is designed to reduce body fat, is focused on eating clean foods, and is the preparation period leading up to competition. The diet is altered, the training is altered, and the focus turns to new goals of getting ripped and shredded for competition. The time a bodybuilder spends preparing for a contest is determined by many factors including the date the last competed, their genetics, their shape in the off-season, and general life factors such as work/school or family schedules.

I start my pre-contest diet about 12 weeks away from the competition. Some bodybuilders start 16 weeks away, and some maybe only 8 weeks away. Due to my genetics and training/eating history, I never get �out of shape� or have high body fat percentage so I can get away with dieting for just 12 weeks or even less.

At the 12-week mark, I cut out all pastas, breads, chips, and other junk foods. I also cut down on processed foods like canned soups, energy bars, and cereals. I also begin to incorporate some form of cardiovascular exercise at this point to help burn off some fat and shed some calories. It also gets my lungs and heart prepared for a change in training that takes place as I approach the contest. I ease into the cardio because it�s not my favorite aspect of training so I typically start small with walking/jogging, stair climbing, and cycling.

At this point I�ll eat oatmeal and fruit in the morning, fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, seeds, beans, tofu and tempeh for afternoon and evening meals, and a variety of supplements throughout the day. Some of those include protein or meal replacement powders, multivitamins, vitamin E, C, and B-12, Flax Oil, and some amino acids like L-glutamine. My total caloric intake will begin to reduce to around 4,000 calories a day. I keep my meal frequency up, eating 8-12 times a day to keep my metabolism (the body�s ability to burn fat) fast and active, which helps me reach my goal of dropping body fat.

When I hit the 8-week mark, I start changing my weight training routine. I train with less rest periods between sets, higher intensity, and start doing cardio 3-5 days a week. I don�t lift quite as heavy because I have less amount of rest time between sets. I�ll still have some heavy lifting days in there, but in general, my intensity is increased to really get a good sweat and pump going during each training session, and the weight I use is slightly decreased.

My cardio training usually consists of riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes before my workout and for 30 minutes following my workout. I feel that the time immediately after a weight training session is one of the best fat-burning opportunities for cardio. In addition to the bike, I also use the stair-stepper and elliptical equipment inside the gym. If the weather is nice, I prefer to do cardio outdoors in the form of cycling, running (especially on trails in the woods) and playing sports such as basketball and soccer. For me, cardio has to be enjoyable, so I pick something fun and it is a great way to shape up while really enjoying the calorie-burning activity. Intense sports are a great way to accomplish this.

At 8 weeks out, my diet is similar to what it is at 12-weeks out. I�m focused on eating clean foods; mostly raw, unprocessed fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, seeds, beans, tofu, tempeh, and protein powders. At this point I may drop my intake down to about 3,500 calories a day and my protein intake will still be very high; between 200-300 grams a day.

When I get down to 6 weeks before the contest I cut out most high carb foods and I completely cut out anything that could be considered a �junk food�. I continue to eat oatmeal in the morning to start the day with some long-lasting energy, and the rest of the day is filled with tofu, beans, rice, yams, potatoes, spinach, tempeh, protein powders and supplements. I also bump my cardio up to 5 days a week for the final month and a half. My cardio sessions usually include riding a stationary bike, jogging outside, or playing competitive sports like basketball. I may bump my post workout cardio session up from 30 minutes to 40 minutes depending on how my body is progressing toward my contest-shape goal.

With 2 weeks left I cut out all packaged and flavored tofu and other processed foods. I buy blocks of plain tofu and bake it myself and use salsa to add some flavor and eat it with spinach, yams or other veggies. I totally focus on raw, alkaline, enzymatically alive foods to fuel my workouts and nourish my body. I still eat some cooked foods but the bulk of my diet is raw, unprocessed foods. I focus heavily on green vegetables for nutrition and immune system boosting effects they have on the body. I will also take in small amounts of berries for antioxidant benefits and to enjoy the �sweet� sensation that I am not getting from other foods. This is when the body will begin to crave certain foods and it is important to have a strong will and stay focused on the goals I set for myself.

At the 2-week point, my diet consists of oatmeal and fruit in the morning, hemp protein powders, baked tofu, yams, broccoli, spinach, beans and rice in the afternoon and evening, and supplements throughout the day. My calorie intake will most likely be around 3,000 calories a day at this point. I may go slightly lower if I feel I need to, but I still want to take in high amounts of protein to feed my muscles and help the repair and grow after intense weight training sessions.

In these final 14 days I boost my cardio to 2-3 times per day for 30-min each time, 5 days a week. My goal is to burn off any remaining body fat and get shredded. I�ll alter this based on how I�m progressing and how I�m feeling. If my energy is low, I may not push it too hard, but I�ll be sure to get some solid cardio sessions in when needed. The more cardio I do, the more I can eat, so I don�t have to �starve� as I get down to the final weeks before the contest. A lot of bodybuilders feel like they are �starving� as they get down the final few weeks before a show. I feel great leading up to a contest because I allow myself to eat foods I enjoy as long as I do enough cardio to balance it out.

In the final week, I cut down on my sodium intake as I near the contest because it causes me to hold water and not look as hard or conditioned when I�m on stage. It can be very difficult to get this just right, but I experiment each time and learn from my trials and errors and improve each time.

My goal is to be hard and tight and have lots of muscle definition and vascularity. In this final week I will also focus on total body workouts with high intensity, short rest periods, making workouts as aerobic as possible.

Nutritionally, the final week is very similar to the diet the week before. I eat the same foods, but I cut down on the ones that contain traceable amounts of sodium.

I will go very low on carbs at the beginning of the final week, cutting down on some fruits and rice. I�ll also have smaller servings of oatmeal in the morning. If the competition is on a Saturday I will most likely reduce carbs on the Sunday leading up to it and go low carbs Sunday through Tuesday and then carb-up Wednesday through Saturday.

In those final 2-3 days I will increase my carbohydrate intake to fill my muscles and satisfy my hunger, while providing me a lot of energy and a psychological lift I need to compete. I carb-up with potatoes, other veggies, rice, fruits, and juice. I also alter my water intake and cut down from a gallon a day to � a gallon a day on Wednesday, 1/4 of a gallon of water on Thursday, just sipping water on Friday and on the day of the contest I may sip some before going on stage and then drink � of a gallon after posing.

On the day of the competition I eat fruit in the morning along with rice cakes, and high sugar foods for an insulin spike and for much needed energy. I eat pretty light because I don�t want a full stomach when I�m posing on stage.

My hope is that all my preparation goes as planned and I�ll be in good shape on stage and feel good about the physique I�m presenting to the audience and the judges.

An overview of my pre-contest diet would look like this:

Off-season: A variety of foods are consumed without concern of fat content or amounts of carbs or sugars.

12 weeks to go: Cut out breads, pastas, and junk foods. Start some form of cardio training.

8 weeks to go: Eat high protein, low fat and low carb foods. Start to cut out processed foods. Pump up the cardio a notch.

6 weeks to go: Cut out most high carb foods, increase vitamin supplementation, and protein powders. Eat quality protein foods to maintain muscle mass during a cutting phase. Increase the length of cardio sessions if needed.

2-3 weeks to go: Cut down on sodium, cut out processed foods. Eat raw foods, baked tofu, fresh green veggies to boost immune system, high protein-low carb powders, yams, nuts, and seeds. Intense workouts with intense cardio sessions are done to burn off body fat.

Final week: Cut out sodium intake for a few days, high vitamin consumption, high protein from raw sources, carb-deplete at the beginning of the final week, carb-load in the final days of preparation.

Step on stage and hope everything went as planned.

Enjoy myself and have fun!

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_precontest

What about Ezekiel sprouted bread? Seems to be a bit higher in protein (and more complete proteins) than other breads, plus lots of fiber. Still no good?

Also I understand cutting rice, but that's easy. How do you manage to cut cereal? OMG it's SO delicious!

Example of a Day

(1) 3 servings of Whey/ 1 tablespoon of Flax Oil

(2) 8-10 OZ London Broil Steak (Extra Lean)/ 1-2 cups Green Veggies.

(3) Grilled Salmon/ 1-2 cups Green Veggies.

(4) 3 servings of Whey/ 1 tablespoon of Flax Oil

(5) 2 Cans of Tuna/ Chopped Onions/Celery/ 1 tablespoon of Safflower Mayonnaise.

(6) (Post Workout) MRP or 2 servings of Whey/10 OZ Orange Juice.

(7) 8-10oz Extra Lean Steak/ 2 cups Veggies.

Let's see...

1. Dairy

2. Meat

3. Meat

4. Dairy

5. Meat

6. Dairy

7. Meat

I would say you are mostly screwed for copying this diet. If you are just looking for a high protein, high fat diet, go with tofu, tempeh, seitan, veggies, avocado, flax, a few beans, more veggies, and fake meats.

Not enjoyable IMO, but doable...

I'm not Robert, but here goes:

(1) 3 servings of Vegan Protein Isolate (Soy, Rice, Pea) / 1 tablespoon of Flax Oil

(2) 1 lb Extra-Firm High-Protein Tofu / 1-2 cups Green Veggies.

(3) 12oz Tempeh / 1-2 cups Green Veggies.

(4) 3 servings of Vegan Protein Isolate/ 1 tablespoon of Flax Oil

(5) 1 can Garbanzo Beans/ Chopped Onions/Celery/ 1 tablespoon of Vegan Mayonnaise.

(6) 2 servings of Vegan Protein Isolate/10 OZ Orange Juice.

(7) 1 lb Extra-Firm High-Protein Tofu / 2 cups Veggies.

There it is. Pretty similar nutritionally, maybe lose a bit of protein in the steak/fish to tofu/tempeh transfer, but not much. (5) is a lot less protein with garbanzo beans than it would be with tuna, but you'd already be getting well over 300g of protein from the rest of it, so I don't think that matters much.

The problem with having a cutting diet that's easy to follow, etc., is that different people have different requirements to lose weight. This might work great for me, but for someone a lot lighter than me, maybe not so much. It looks like a lot of food, though I haven't added up the calories so it's just a guess.

I have a really non-specific and non-scientific approach and I don't even record things or anything like that so I really have no ideas.

I just eat foods and train and look in the mirror. I'd probably have better success if I had a more detailed approach, but I just don't....I have some sort of organizational issues (those who have been to my house, know exactly what I mean). I just don't have patience for specifics....so unfortunately, I don't have much advice.....but I'm sure others like ralst can be very helpful.

All the best!

It's not really a diet where beans could be used, it would be an unhealthy diet even if is was vegan because it would mean cutting out too many food groups.

I think veganising it would be very easy though, swap the whey protein for gemma, swap the meats for for tofu or seitan.

Even though I have followed a diet very similar (just with a lot more fats) I'm going to try something similar to what Fallen Horse was elluding to by using some sort of whole grains, like the sprouted breads and legumes and lower the fats a little.

I think it would be easy to get very lean keeping some carbs in but in wholegrain form, unlike this diet that says to take some juice after training.

I'll write up what I'm intending to try when I get the chance and I'll write what I used to eat pre contest

Awesome Joel, I look forward to it!

dropsoul, I wish I had more info on it but it's not a specialty of mine so I don't feel I'd give real strong advice. I am having a lot of fun updating my journal and I'm including the foods that I eat in some posts, but I don't really have a program. At times I wish I did, but my inability to be organized kicks in and then I get a bit lost.

This would be a helpful resource though, as more and more people are vegans and competing and as more people are cutting getting ready for spring and summer in the Northern Hemisphere, etc.

All the best and I look forward to more updates on this topic.

@ Dropsoul

Robert eats what I cook for him.

Robert has a super fast metabolism so he has no trouble cutting. For him he has a really hard time gaining the weight.

It runs in his family. Both of his brothers and sister have a lean physique.

So if you would of followed Robert's diet you would have to train consistent and HARD. Robert is a beast at the gym. He trained his legs so hard that he puked all over the entrance of the mens change room. After that he lied down and didn't get off the ground for 30 mins.

Right now he has cut a lot of things out of his diet like high process foods, sugars, wheat, flours, sodium, carbs, no store bought sauces to put on his foods, he has cut most foods made from soy.

He likes his food cooked plain. so no butters or oils, no spices, no dressings, no sauces etc....No breads, no pasta, no tortillas. Burritos have been the hardest for him to cut out of.

When ever I came to pick him up at the airport, his tradition was to go to this Mexican place by the house. In fact he went there so many times that everyone in the place knows him by 2 Veggie burritos, no cheese, no sour cream with extra quac.

He has been eating a lot of whole foods, baked tofu, rice, quinou, greens, smoothies, oat meal, tons of fruit, potatoes, yams, rice, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, black beans, black eye peas, lentils, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados

High protein things like Vega, nitro-fusion, protein bars, beans, tofu, nuts and seeds.

So a lot of cabs in the mornings and before a workout and a lot of protein after a workout and in the evenings.

Like for example I made him the other day, Plain oats, a cut up banana with a tiny bit of cinnamon, and a scope of Vega (Vanilla Chai) and a smoothie with half banana, mangoes, strawberries, water, with two scoops of Vega smoothie infusion. For lunch boiled rice and quinou, boiled black beans, broccoli and carrots, and baked tofu in the oven. Topped with home made quac and salsa. And a salad with romaine, spinach, tomato, celery, cucumbers, green onions, grated carrots, topped boiled blacked eye peas, and more bake tofu. Dinner would be the same if there was anything left. I usually prep enough for 4- 5 ppl.

He does takes the pictures of all the food I made for him, I'm sure he would love to post them in his blog when he has time.

He has mentioned to me that he was very flattered that you took an interest in his diet. But like he said he has no clue on giving advice on a non-scientific approach. Just what he feels best on.

You could also ask DV, beforewisdom, Seasiren, Veggie Princess, Joelk or for a more raw diet approach there's Lean and Green to ask advice for.

I hope that helps you out.

Like for example I made him the other day, Plain oats, a cut up banana with a tiny bit of cinnamon, and a scope of Vega (Vanilla Chai) and a smoothie with half banana, mangoes, strawberries, water, with two scoops of Vega smoothie infusion. For lunch boiled rice and quinou, boiled black beans, broccoli and carrots, and baked tofu in the oven. Topped with home made quac and salsa. And a salad with romaine, spinach, tomato, celery, cucumbers, green onions, grated carrots, topped boiled blacked eye peas, and more bake tofu. Dinner would be the same if there was anything left. I usually prep enough for 4- 5 ppl.

Well aren't you generous! He had better be kissing your butt for all of that!

Well aren't you generous! He had better be kissing your butt for all of that!

haha thanks Fallen horse. I really enjoy preparing all this food for someone who enjoys eating what I make. I never had the experience before and I like it. Just hearing people wow over things is what really impresses me.

He's not kissing my butt, but he's done so much for me, so this one of the way I show him my appreciation for the things he does for me.

Here's one of things I made for him a when he came back from a five hr work out.

Ahh, well this wasn't for me, it was a link I came across which is found when you google "cutting diet" and it was death x7 and it was for men, I have a cutting diet from VeggiePrincess, can't post it though, but for people searching, it sure would be nice to see a simple plan, though one size doesn't fit all, that people could use so they don't go crazy with the meat or use meat at all.

Sorry to hear about Robert getting sick. That sucks!

Thanks!

Once again, this is NOT FOR WOMEN or me, it's to get some kind of answer to googlers looking for cutting diets. This is for Joel and other guys to digest (figuratively speaking) -- full of puns today -- , it's a slow carb OMNI diet that one dude highly pushes to drop fat fast. It looks easily veganizable:

From: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/

In the last six weeks, I have cut from about 180 lbs. to 165 lbs., while adding about 10 lbs. of muscle, which means I’ve lost about 25 lbs. of fat. This is the only diet besides the rather extreme Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) that has produced veins across my abdomen, which is the last place I lose fat (damn you, Scandinavian genetics). Here are the four simple rules I followed…

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, constructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:

Proteins:

Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor

Chicken breast or thigh

Grass-fed organic beef

Pork

Legumes:

Lentils

Black beans

Pinto beans

Vegetables:

Spinach

Asparagus

Peas

Mixed vegetables

Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.

Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.

Some athletes eat 6-8x per day to break up caloric load and avoid fat gain. I think this is ridiculously inconvenient. I eat 4x per day: (Christina notes: buuuut -- that's 4 meals, scratches head....)

10am - breakfast

1pm - lunch

5pm - smaller second lunch

7:30-9pm - sports training

10pm - dinner

12am - glass of wine and Discovery Channel before bed

Here are some of my meals that recur again and again:

Scrambled Eggology pourable egg whites with one whole egg, black beans, and microwaved mixed vegetables

Grass-fed organic beef, pinto beans, mixed vegetables, and extra guacamole (Mexican restaurant)

Grass-fed organic beef (from Trader Joe’s), lentils, and mixed vegetables

Post-workout pizza with extra chicken, cilantro, pineapple, garlic, sundried tomotoes, bell peppers, and red onions

Rule #3: Don’t drink calories

Drink massive quantities of water and as much unsweetened iced tea, tea, diet sodas, coffee (without white cream), or other no-calorie/low-calorie beverages as you like. Do not drink milk, normal soft drinks, or fruit juice. I’m a wine fanatic and have at least one glass of wine each evening, which I believe actually aids sports recovery and fat-loss. Recent research into resveratrol supports this.

Rule #4: Take one day off per week

I recommend Saturdays as your “Dieters Gone Wild” day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. I make myself a little sick and don’t want to look at any of it for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. That’s right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat. Welcome to Utopia.

-- end of copy from that guy's site --

• 3 weeks later...

No sweat cuts!

Breakfast-fruit, raw as much as you like

Lunch-fruit, raw as much as you like

Snack-salad, lettuce, avacado, cucumber, bell pepper

Dinner-fruit, raw as much as you like

Snacks-all day, raw fruit, pretty much as much as you like

Liquids-no need, its all in the food

Cardio-unnecessary

Lifting-about an hour a week, high-intensity

Supplements-B12 twice a week, nothing else needed