Ask A Supplement Store Employee

I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate forum or if it should go in the Health & Nutrition Program section.

In either case, I was in the chat room and mentioned that I was at work. Someone else said that it would be nice to have a vegan and knowledgeable supplement store employee when they go into the store because having a couple of teen girls working there isn't advantageous.

I know that most of you are quite knowledgeable yourselves so I hesitated a bit in posting this thread, but figured there's nothing wrong with it.

Naturally, other members are allowed to reply to the questions

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea is for forum members to ask questions about products because strawberryriddick works in a supplement store.

That would be correct. Plus, we have direct lines to companies so it's easier for me to find out if the products are vegetarian/vegan. For example, except for MRI's HSP Active, all the products are at least vegetarian-friendly, with many vegan-friendly products...and they don't test on animals. Some of their research comes from studies that did use animal testing, but the company itself believes in testing on human adults, especially adult athletes, because they know that will yield the most accurate results.

Is there anything available to make me look like Schwarzenegger in a day other than cell-tech hardcore? I find it's too strong I can't handle the insane muscle gains.

That's because [smirk] MuscleTech makes the finest [smirk] muscle-building supplements on the PLANET...TO THE HARDCORE EXTREME!

What's a good vegan muscle builder/volumizer supplement? I train hard and eat clean but have a lot of trouble packing it on in my upper body, proportionally to my lower. Want to do a figure competition and need to even it out.

What's a good vegan muscle builder/volumizer supplement? I train hard and eat clean but have a lot of trouble packing it on in my upper body, proportionally to my lower. Want to do a figure competition and need to even it out.

I'm just going to shoot you this information under the assumption that you're unaware of it. I am certain that you are very educated in training and supplements, but because I don't know what you do/don't know, I'm just going to explain it as if you don't know any of this. That way, it should cover all the bases instead of leaving you with questions. Just seems the easiest.

Because it's a proportion issue, the problem most likely lies in your training. You may have to scale back your leg routine and switch up your upper-body routines to achieve that balance. After all, a muscle volumizer wouldn't isolate just the upper body, so if we did sell something that got you perma-pumped, you'd still be out of proportion, you know?

A supplement may help you be able to increase your power all over, which would mean that you'd still have to pay attention to how you trained, but it would allow you to push longer and more explosively for your upper body (and lower body, but again, it's all about how you're training). According to their responses, Gaspari Nutrition and MRI both make vegan creatine powders. If you're unaware how it works, we all make creatine in our systems because it is part of the fuel your body needs during anaerobic activity. We have enough creatine to really fuel for about 30 seconds, but people who supplement with creatine typically are able to increase that for 60 seconds. This is how you'll be able to push harder and longer...you'll have more fuel in your muscles.

Now, creatine is typically blamed for water retention, which isn't good for a figure competition...or any competition, really. However, the one that typically does this is creatine monohydrate. MRI's Anabolic Switch has 7 types of creatine, one of which is monohydrate; Gaspari's SizeOn, however, does not contain it. It contains a special kind of creatine known as "creatine gluconate." Creatine must be attached to something to enter the body in a stable fashion, which is why creatine monohydrate, attached to a salt, typically induces water retention. Creatine also needs sugar to be taken into your system effectively...so Gaspari, get this, just attached a creatine molecule to a sugar. I don't know why no one else thought of that, but the important thing is that it's on the market. If it interests you, I recommend first buying it from your local supplement store...and check their return policy. That way, if you don't like it, you don't have to worry about returning it via mail. If you do like it, then you can order it online for much cheaper or continue to support your local business...whichever you're more comfortable with

If you're still having issues, you may wish to increase your caloric intake a smidge...right before bed. Consuming a slow-digesting protein before bedtime allows your muscles to work with something as you sleep, when your metabolic rate is still running and will cannibalize your muscle if left unfed. It's a standard practice for non-vegan powerlifters to wake up every 2 hours in the middle of the night to drink a whey protein shake. There's nothing special about the whey (and we vegans know that milk isn't good for you anyway), but the important part here is the consumption of protein-heavy calories during the night. This will almost certainly help you retain more of your gains.

If you've tried both of these things already, let me know.

Is there anything available to make me look like Schwarzenegger in a day other than cell-tech hardcore? I find it's too strong I can't handle the insane muscle gains.

If you take cell-tech hardcore along with all their kic products (Leukic, Gakic, Creakic, Vitakic) you should 8.4% better than Arnold in seven days

Now, creatine is typically blamed for water retention, which isn't good for a figure competition...or any competition, really. However, the one that typically does this is creatine monohydrate. MRI's Anabolic Switch has 7 types of creatine, one of which is monohydrate; Gaspari's SizeOn, however, does not contain it. It contains a special kind of creatine known as "creatine gluconate." Creatine must be attached to something to enter the body in a stable fashion, which is why creatine monohydrate, attached to a salt, typically induces water retention. Creatine also needs sugar to be taken into your system effectively...so Gaspari, get this, just attached a creatine molecule to a sugar. I don't know why no one else thought of that, but the important thing is that it's on the market. If it interests you, I recommend first buying it from your local supplement store...and check their return policy. That way, if you don't like it, you don't have to worry about returning it via mail. If you do like it, then you can order it online for much cheaper or continue to support your local business...whichever you're more comfortable with

I wouldn't touch Gaspari after I disovered they use feathers as a source of their BCAA's.

ALR's CR2 would be ok I think, the creatine diphosphate is apparently a more bioavailable source (still doing my research though) plus they claim most of their products are vegan friendly.

I still think creatine mono is the best though and is what I use

So now for my question... why do they always get a free gift with purchase after I buy the product?

That's just the luck of the draw, unfortunately. The GNC sales come and go in 2 month increments. I have some customers coming in and saying, "Oh, I'll get it next time." We just had the "All Sports Nutrition Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off" sale going on. That was a HUGE sale, and I actually bought 6 tubs of Ultimate Nutrition's Protein Isolate during that sale. It was unprecedented. Well, the "I'll get it next time" customers came back in a few days after the sales ended, and said, "Hey, aren't these supposed to be buy one, get one half off?" And there's nothing I can do about it. Too bad, so sad, shoulda purchased it when you had the chance.

Since you already bought the Gaspari product, I can assume that you liked it because Gaspari is good and you didn't ask about returning it. If that's the case, just buy another product now, when the sales are nice and sweet, and grab that DVD with it.

I wouldn't touch Gaspari after I disovered they use feathers as a source of their BCAA's.

Ugh. I'll email them about it. That's pretty shitty.

Well, the "I'll get it next time" customers came back in a few days after the sales ended, and said, "Hey, aren't these supposed to be buy one, get one half off?" And there's nothing I can do about it. Too bad, so sad, shoulda purchased it when you had the chance.
The website and in-store sales don't always seem to coincide, there's been a few times I've gone in after looking at the website and am dumbfounded as what to do because $16/lb is seriously the price they're asking for soy protein.

What's the cheapest vegan and non-soy protein that you have seen around? Online or in stores?
Gemma / pea is usually the cheapest, slightly cheaper than rice but a bit more obscure.

So my loaded question is, what actually works? We all know that most supplements are either total garbage or give insignificantly small gains. Yet some things do work, protein and creatine monohydrate are the (only?) two supplements I'm confident are effective at the moment.

As a seller of these wares, what do you actually buy for yourself and/or what do you see serious people coming back to buy more of?

What's the cheapest vegan and non-soy protein that you have seen around? Online or in stores?

On the Vitamin Shoppe website, NutriBiotic rice protein powder is often on sale for like $23 for 3 lb. Only the vanilla flavor. Very mild tasting, much more so than the RiceOTein, which I find too sickly sweet, and I have to add salt to balance it out. I smash it up w/a banana and cinnamon and eat it like a pudding post workout. Yum! Also, the stores will match any website sales, so I stock up at the sale times. Since I already eat lots of beans, I figure it gives a good amino acid balance. Good luck!

Great idea for a thread.

Someone suggested I post my question here... so here goes:

Thanks in large part to the advice on this forum, I'm looking to pick up a Multi, a B12 supp, and some creatine. Was looking to see if there is a consensus about which products are quality.

GNC is closest to me, and easiest for me to buy from... but before I head out there and throw a dart at the shelves to pick a brand I wanted to see if I could get some advice.

Thanks in large part to the advice on this forum, I'm looking to pick up a Multi, a B12 supp, and some creatine. Was looking to see if there is a consensus about which products are quality.

I use the Creapure monohydrate creatine, Jarrow B12 lozenges (1mg) and if I remember to, I take Swisse Ultivite for my multi (they are against animal testing and are vegan friendly).

I know the B12 and Creatine are available in the U.S. don't think the Swisse is, but the NOW Adam is a good vegan friendly multi, we just don't have it in Australia.

Hands down, it's Ultimate Nutrition's Protein Isolate. Wheat protein isolate, all your essential aminos, double the glutamine as whey protein, 20g protein per scoop, 100 calories per serving, and it's $19.99 for 57 servings. I believe GNC is currently selling it for $15.99, which is lower than I've even seen it online.

:checks:

Yep, they are.

Vanilla: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3043968

Chocolate: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3043967

As a wheat protein, it does have gluten in it. For this reason, do not mix the drink, workout, then come back. It tends to glutanize in about 45 minutes, leaving...well...dough! This also makes it very easy to clean, because the pieces all stick together.

So are all that muscle tech shit vegan like gakic

I went ahead and called MuscleTech. "None of our products would be considered vegan." I asked further. The caplet stuff (like the Gakic) "contain soy, and then it says here that it contains animal products other than beef and pork." She went on to say that even their protein contained beef, in addition to milk.

So let's make this clear:

!!!MUSCLETECH IS 100% NOT VEGAN!!!

Damn. Fucking assholes. Why the hell do I need damn animal shit in a caplet?

The website and in-store sales don't always seem to coincide, there's been a few times I've gone in after looking at the website and am dumbfounded as what to do because $16/lb is seriously the price they're asking for soy protein.

The website sales don't always correspond to in-store sales because not all GNC stores are corporate stores. Franchise store operators have the option to follow the corporate sales, but are not required to. Some franchise stores always follow corporate sales because the owners have decided that the sales do really bring in more customers, but as franchisees they have the option to just up and stop if they desire.

The reason that the $16/lb soy (I think you're probably talking the Pro-Performance stuff?) is most likely due to the high protein low carb aspect. GNC sells another soy protein for $8/lb, but it is about 14g protein and about 16g carbs. The Pro-Performance soy is 25g protein and 3g carbs.

We all know that most supplements are either total garbage or give insignificantly small gains. Yet some things do work, protein and creatine monohydrate are the (only?) two supplements I'm confident are effective at the moment.

As a seller of these wares, what do you actually buy for yourself and/or what do you see serious people coming back to buy more of?

1. Protein and creatine do work. Beta alanine does work, but I believe the highest source of this is beef liver, so check the source if you ever decide to get it. Beta alanine increases muscular endurance. I read some interesting info from Beverly International about their beef liver tablets (their beta alanine supplement). This test was done on animals and animals were killed during this test, so certainly this isn't a vegan product by any stretch of the imagination. What they did was drop mice into a container with high plastic walls and it had water in it. The no-supplement group drowned within 2 minutes. The partial dose group drowned in 20 minutes. The full dose group was still swimming after 2 hours, and they ended the study with that.

If you're talking more than muscle/endurance products...well, just about everything else works. You know, vitamins, minerals, herbs...but outside of those three things...oh, yeah, there's another new thing to hit the system. I'll make another post and link it here because it's actually a seriously big deal.

Oh, and anything by Fizogen (http://www.fizogen.com). I'm calling them right now to see if they are vegan, but I took them when I was an omni. This is some seriously expensive shit (it was actually cheaper in GNC than their online store) because it actually works. I was taking the Mass Cycle (their creatine) and Blast Cycle (their N.O. powder) and my lats got bigger in three days. The company had to file for bankruptcy because people unfortunately would rather blow money on MuscleTech. Everything sold by Fizogen works...oh, except this "chi focuser" thing they sold. It was the weirdest gimmick product ever, a necklace that apparently improved your chi balance or whatever. All their bodybuilding supplements do work. Okay, they said that all the tablets and proteins are animal-based, but she was "99% sure" that the Mass/Blast Cycles were vegan. She also said she hadn't gotten this question in a while, so she couldn't be sure. I gave her my email address. I see that it contains Magnesium Sterate, which may be animal in nature.

2. I personally buy Ultimate Nutrition's Protein Isolate (which I mentioned above) and MRI's Anabolic Switch (creatine). I also started taking the free HSP Active that I received at the supplement convention, but must crack open the pills as they are made with gelatin. I will see how they work, but I like what I have going on so far.

Some other interesting supplements I get repeat buyers for (vegan and non-vegan):

-Beverly International products. All of them. I worked for a franchise store in NC that carried them (franchise stores can carry other products that are approved by GNC but not sold in corporate stores).

-Monster Milk. My former GNC manager took it...says it tastes like ass, but really works.

-Novadex XT and Halodrol by Gaspari Nutrition are great stacks for testosterone boosting

-Controlled Labs makes a great creatine pill...one customer came into the NC store just for that reason.

-And, of course, we have the MuscleTech and Muscle Milk whores that come in and buy it just because it's highly advertised.

Great question, as it's hard to choose quality due in part to the lack of regulation for these supplements.

The multi I recommend is a vegetarian capsule called Ultra Mega Greens by GNC. I've seen many ratings that show that GNC's stuff is as potent as advertised...and that makes sense since it's a multi-national company, you know? Unlike other vegetarian multis, this is not made with D3. Link: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2882887

Deva also makes vegan supplements: http://www.devanutrition.com/

NOW is also an exceptional company, and as others have mentioned they do make a multi: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/adam.html This mens multi also contains stuff like ginseng, and B12 in its methylcobalamin state. And you really can't beat that price.

B12...people say that you need to get methylcobalamin because cyanocobalamin must first be converted into methylcobalamin, and thus causes you to need more of it. That's not true. The B12 that people get from meat is also in the cyanocobalamin form. The methylcobalamin only really makes a difference if you are a person who is chronically deficient in B12 for whatever reason, or you need to receive B12 shots to boost a sluggish metabolism or whatever reason people receive B12 shots.

As for creatine, there are a few options, as I listed in the creatine reply on the previous page.

Great question.

Phew! This took a while to answer, what with having to call people and look up ingredients on labels, but I hope it's been helpful!