help w/ weight gain, please

When ever I have tried to add muscle I tend to add the same amount of fat. Then when I try to diet off the fat I lose the muscle I gained. I tend to keep the same proportions on the way up and on the way down. It seems I am either a skinny guy w/ little fat or a not so skinny guy, but w/ more fat.

I am currently trying zig zagging my calories to see if that will help. I eat approximately 20 calories per pound of bodyweight (2800 cals) for five days or so and then eat around 12 calories per pound for a couple days. I try to get about a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and probable eat approximately 80 grams of fat a day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Veg

Meal One: I usually start off my day w/ fruit (various kinds) and about an hour latter have a protein pudding (usually pea and rice protein, but sometimes hemp) that has ground flaxseed and/or shredded coconut in it.

Meal Two: Some type of beans or lentils, some type of nuts or seeds and veggies

Meal Three: See Meal two

Meal Four: Similar to Meals Two and Three, but w/ different legume and nut/seed choices. I also might have potatoes, bread or some other carb at this meal.

Meal Five (don't always eat this meal): Sometimes a protein pudding, but more often a meal similar to Meal Four.

I probably am getting 110-120 grams of protein and 60-80 grams of fat a day. The rest is from carbs.

I usually workout every other day. I only use bodyweight exercises along w/ some DVR's and Isometrics. And I know it is coming, so let me tell you I lifted weights for approximately 14 years w/ little or no results. I actually have gained more muscle since dropping the weights.

I am not looking to get HOOOUGE. A 10-15 pound gain would be great.

I have bulked in the past. I gained approximately 20 pounds. I figure half of that was muscle, but when I tried to cut the fat I lost the muscle, too.

Thanks again for any help.

• 1 month later...
Meal One: I usually start off my day w/ fruit (various kinds) and about an hour latter have a protein pudding (usually pea and rice protein, but sometimes hemp) that has ground flaxseed and/or shredded coconut in it.

Meal Two: Some type of beans or lentils, some type of nuts or seeds and veggies

Meal Three: See Meal two

Meal Four: Similar to Meals Two and Three, but w/ different legume and nut/seed choices. I also might have potatoes, bread or some other carb at this meal.

Meal Five (don't always eat this meal): Sometimes a protein pudding, but more often a meal similar to Meal Four.

I probably am getting 110-120 grams of protein and 60-80 grams of fat a day. The rest is from carbs.

I usually workout every other day. I only use bodyweight exercises along w/ some DVR's and Isometrics. And I know it is coming, so let me tell you I lifted weights for approximately 14 years w/ little or no results. I actually have gained more muscle since dropping the weights.

Much too vague, you need to be much more specific... post your daily macros (protein, carb, fat intake.)

protein - 100g - 125g

fat - 75g-100g

carbs - rest carbs

Seems ok, I'd need to know your weight/height to give an accurate critique though.

You say you've bulked up successfully in the past so getting enough calories isn't an issue for you.

When you drop your calories to cut, are you dropping pro/carb/fat across the board? You should keep your protein intake the same whether bulking or cutting. Muscle needs protein not only to build but also to survive...

I eat approximately 20 calories per pound of bodyweight (2800 cals) for five days or so and then eat around 12 calories per pound for a couple days. I try to get about a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and probable eat approximately 80 grams of fat a day.
2800^20=140lbs BW no?

If you weigh 140lbs and are consuming 2800 calories in a day you are consuming to many calories or not burning enough. You either need to reduce your caloric intake or increase the intensity of your workouts.

Thanks for the replies.

J-Roc,

I am 5'10 140. When I have cut before I have sometimes limited fat, but mostly just eat less.

Looking at my first post I am not getting a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

WOW! Exactly where I started at

Like I said, muscle needs protein to build and SURVIVE. If you're eating X amount of protein when bulking... and significantly drop that amount when cutting you will lose muscle no question. Protein is used for many functions in the body and when there is a shortage in your diet the first thing it goes to it for is your MUSCLES. This is known as catabolism, a bodybuilders worst enemy!!

I think 2800 calories is the MINIMUM you'd want to be at at your weight if you want to build muscle... but more important than calories are your MACROS (Pro/Carb/Fat).

Go here to figure out your BMR

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then with your BMR go here to figure out your TDEE

http://www.bestdallaspersonaltrainer.com/energy-expenditure-calculator.html

Then start a diet at 400-500 calories above your TDEE and monitor progress for 4 weeks. Get at least 1g of proteing per lb of bodyweight. 80 grams of fat per day and the rest carbs. Like 4x4 said I'm not sure what your training is like either that could be an issue. Are you training to failure? Keeping a training log and making progress in reps/weight each week?

160g protein

70g fat

300g carbs(mainly complex)

=2470 calories

try this ill guaranteed it works. just make sure you're hitting the weights hard (HEAVY lifting) you might considered looking into WORKOUT routines

Rounded off thats a 49/26/25 carb/fat/protein ratio if my math is correct.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the replies.

J-Roc,

I do not train to failure, but approach it. I am adding reps on a near weekly basis.

That will limit your results for sure. Perform each growth set to muscular failure (until you cannot perform another rep). Your body sees no reason to build muscle unless it's put under sufficient stress. Performing sets to failure causes your body to wake up, take notice, and start the muscle building process... for all it knows your survival depends on it. "Approaching failure" may give you some success... but you're in the gym lifting the weight anyway... why not push through and go for that extra rep or two?

160g protein

70g fat

300g carbs(mainly complex)

=2470 calories

try this ill guaranteed it works. just make sure you're hitting the weights hard (HEAVY lifting) you might considered looking into WORKOUT routines

Seems kind of low for a 140 pounder trying to bulk up... but he should go to the links I provided above to know for sure and get an accurate starting point for his caloric intake.