New vegan with old leather . . .

timetide

As I make the transition from long-term lacto-ovo vegetarian to vegan, I've tried to take stock of all the animal products in my life . . . In my initial fervour I assumed I would chuck them all (i.e., donate them), until I realized just how many animal products there were outside my diet.

I have resolved not to purchase any more animal products from this point forward . . . but I may end up being a bit more "pragmatic" about getting rid of the ones I already have. In the end, I think it will be a combination of philosophical and practical considerations.

(1) My current car has a leather interior. Fortunately the lease is up in March 2010 and I don't intend to replace the vehicle (thanks to the availability of http://www.zipcar.com in Toronto), so I don't even have to bother about looking for a vehicle with a "vegan" interior.

(2) I have about 10 wool carpets that I purchased in the early 1990's, two leather armchairs from 1991 and a sofa with down cushions. For pragmatic reasons, I think these will stay until they wear out (or perhaps I will make a decision to replace them gradually over time . . . though the damage to animals has already been done).

(3) As a former competitive cyclist, I still own and ride four bikes. They all have leather saddles. I guess from this point forward I'll have a philosophical reason to buy the "sexier" (and more expensive) carbon composite saddles as necessary!

(4) Clothing is the first area I considered. I have one old leather jacket, some wool dress pants and suits and leather shoes/boots. I guess I also have a few silk ties if I look. I think this is one area where I will be more aggressive in donating these items and replacing them. I think I want to make a "public" statement that it is possible to dress without animal products. I've already been shopping this way for a while, but I will be honest and say I miss the selection in dress shoes!

(5) I've also used cow/sheep manure as an amendment in my garden. I guess I will need to rethink that too. (I know there is organic compost available.)

It has been eye-opening to consider how many pervasive animal products are in my life. (And I'm sure I've missed a few or a lot!) Still, I guess the more important commitment is what I support from this point forward.

Well their is always couch covers, tacky as it sounds (looks{not always}), you'ld give that animal hide some extra miles.

Having returned to gardening again after daughter and GKids moved,(they were doing it), I'm still in the process of weening off animal manure. Having had a compost pile for years, It take a lot of vegetable matter to make a little compost.

Edited by Vegan Joe

Yeah it's amazing when you start breaking it down, how much of our world is manufactured using animal products.

My philosophy is that it's more destructive overall for a new vegan to throw out all their old animal by-product stuff in favor of buying/acquiring and in a lot of cases going on expensive conspicuous consumer sprees to replace their old stuff with new vegan stuff. To me, veganism isn't so much about buying the right stuff as it is about being conscious about how the stuff we consume is connected to the commodification (often corporate) of animals, and feeding the profit machine more than we need to by throwing out perfectly functioning things is disrespectful to not only the animal who probably died to provide it, but also reeks of privilege... most people around the world wouldn't make enough money in a year to buy one of those leather bike saddles.

But I think it's cool that you want a sexier seat

I agree, vivalasvegas:

"My philosophy is that it's more destructive overall for a new vegan to throw out all their old animal by-product stuff in favor of buying/acquiring and in a lot of cases going on expensive conspicuous consumer sprees to replace their old stuff with new vegan stuff."

I think that's the decision I've come to. Getting rid of stuff I already have won't in any way reduce animal suffering . . . What counts are the decisions I make from here forward (i.e., to replace animal products with vegan options when they wear out)

• 1 month later...

Would you sleep easier knowing you did not have those items . Craigslist and Ebay are your friends . You can purchase used seats non leather for most cars on ebay . Acouple bolts and there off , you can sell them and recoup your cost for the swap . Selling your items will stop non-vegans from supporting killing more animals . And when you buy new things you will not be supporting killing animals . Win-Win as oppose to Lose-Lose , but if you live paycheck to paycheck like me then yeah. You may want to hold on to those things for awhile .

In regards to your jackets, I know urban outfitters and vegan essentials make synthetic leather and biker jackets. Unfortunatly those one's aren't good for riding, as they rip easily. I don't really know what to tell you on that one. Denim maybe?

My old biker jacket was the hardest thing for me to give up. I love Heavy Metal music, but then I started wearing denim and bought a synthetic biker jacket from urban outfitters. Although I no longer wear leather and think it's wrong, at least other parts of the animal are used. Unlike fur coats, in which the animal is hunted just for it's skin alone. That's just murder no matter who says it. I say that only as someone who is Asatru, a native european faith. It is similar to the Native American faith and traditions.

I commend you for doing this though. Trust me it's not easy making a dietary and lifestyle change. Especially when at the same time you are trying to remain the same person you always have been.

i still have some leather goods from way back that have stood the test of time. i chose to keep them out of respect for the animals that gave up their lives to create them. there are some items i have donated, but id never throw them out.. i think thats more of an extreme behavior and for me veganism isnt about extremism.. its about common sense.

This is a great post. Reminds everyone of how animal products make there way into so many things. Veganism is about so much more than diet.

I know guy who works on a veganic farm, and he gets compost from Toronto Sprouts (bloor/bathurst area)...I bet you could get some from them for your garden