New Vegan in Texas!

VitativeVegan

I'm a 19 year old college student, and brand new to veganism! I've been a vegetarian for about a year, lacto-vegetarian for 6 months-ish, and decided to make the leap to veganism. I'm also working on getting fit and (hopefully) into the best shape of my life!

I'm a biochemistry major, a singer (I play a few instruments, too), very passionate about music and the arts, and I'm the girlfriend of someone on this site. I'll let you guess who.

You also live in Austin! If I could pick one place in Texas to live, it'd be Austin. Houston isn't quite so liberal and open. There are literally no vegan restaurants in Houston, and it's the 4th largest city in the country. We have a couple that are vegetarian with some vegan options, but none that are strictly vegan. Oddly enough, Houston is known for its unusually high number of restaurants and the variety in said restaurants.

Edited by VitativeVegan

I actually wonder the same thing about Austin. There are rumored to be a lot, but they definitely hide themselves well as I've only met about 10 at a time in groups. I guess in cities where veganism really isn't an oddity we just blend in as we're not so radical compared to the general population. So there are pros and cons. Good luck bringing some out of the shadows. meetup.com may have a vegan group in your area so check it out if you have not. I even go to the vegetarian group here in Austin sometimes, but the vegans are best.