Fivefingers anyone?

Addai

I'm just wondering if anyone else here lifts in vibram fivefingers. I highly recommend them. I originally got them as I was predominantly a runner, and started getting into the whole barefoot running craze. But then I realized that a few guys were lifting in them at my gym, and my old personal trainer was recommending them. They're becoming a bit of a craze now. Anyways they're amazing for squatting, deadlifting, etc. They really help develop all the smaller muscles and tendons in your feet and lower legs the way they're supposed to, and let your each toe work individually to help balance you as they are naturally meant to--seeing as we weren't born with shoes. They come in four models and a slew of colors.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

I love them so much. Running, hiking, lifting, you name it. I'm going to be buying a second pair soon enough for every day walking around. I don't mind the stares.

http://inrareform.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/vibram_fivefingers_kso.jpg

http://sweatingbullets.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/vibram-five-fingers-kso1.jpg

http://billstclair.com/blog/images/vibram-five-fingers-shoes.jpg

I have the KSO. Originally they made one model, known as the classic, which is like an open slipper. Then people wanted to be able to do....anything in them, so they put a strap across the top, and called it the sprint. The people complained that debris could get in, so they made the KSO (keep stuff out). They also made the Flow, which is similar to the KSO, except the KSO has a mesh upper and the Flow has a neoprene upper and a bit thicker of a sole, making it better for cold weather, wading through streams, etc.

They aren't custom made. They're a commercial product, and chances are there is somewhere near you that sells them. They say that 95% of people can get a fit in them, but you really want to try them on in a store as they're different than shoe sizes. My toes are weird but I still got a working pair.

If you have conjoined toes, I can't see how they would work for you though. They have a pretty decent FAQ on their site, which happens to specifically state that they're an excellent choice for vegans.

They aren't measured by shoe size. I was an 11.5 in a sneaker, and I'm like 43 or something in vibrams. And their sizes go up to 47 *I think*. That they fit like a glove really changes things up. Just gotta try one on for yourself. Also, if you're bordering between two sizes, most say go smaller.

They plan on expanding the range of sizes eventually which will be nice.

They have individual toe pockets as you can see; if you wanted to wear a sock with them, you would need to purchase socks with individual pockets. Vibram recommends Injinji. I havn't purchased any yet but I hear they're great for keeping your feet warm, and that they fit just fine in the fivefingers.

As for arch support, they have absolutely ZERO. That is, in fact, the reason why you should wear them, and really why they exist. They have zero support of any kid. The shortest explanation I can give as to why this is good for you (I've read books, I was sort of a running nerd...):

You weren't born wearing sneakers. When you wear a sneaker, it changes the biomechanics of your stride, and it changes how you balance. Sneakers are, in short, the reason why people have running injuries, foot problems, and all sorts of other maladies. They promote lazy feet. They prevent your feet and lower legs from developing properly and working properly. For instance, let's take running. Put on some sneakers and go run a few yards. Hundred bucks says you just ran with a heel to toe strike. Take them off, run again. Over 80% of people who try this, once running barefoot and with no instruction or explanation, now run with a forefoot strike, as nature intended. Biomechanically sound just by removing the sneaker.

In the barefoot world, running injuries are non-existent. This matters for non-runners too, however. Perhaps you've had arch problems in every day life, plantar fasciitis, whatever. These are almost always caused by sneakers. You asked about arch support. In all the times you've seen arches supporting bridges, walkways, etc.--have you ever seen anything filling up the space in an arch? Of course not, the weakest place, structurally, to support an arch is from underneath. The key is to strengthen.

This matters with weightlifting too. You've probably heard that let's say squatting is bad to do in running sneakers (something I did last year). And it really is, you can just feel how wrong it is, your balance is off. The sneakers are designed to shift your weight forwards, so when you do a squat, you're trying to compensate and stay back more on your heels, which becomes terrible when you get to the last few reps of your last set. For me it did at least. I've heard a few trainers say that ideally speaking, you should lift barefoot. Gyms, however, don't allow barefoot. They do allow fivefingers though, which give you all the same biomechanical advantages of being barefoot. Plus you'll develop all those little foot and lower leg muscles the way they were meant to be developed, and be a stronger better athlete for it.

The only caveat is that if you're going to wear these things around a lot, or run in them, you need to take it very slow. You pretty much need to learn how to walk/run again. You'll be using all sorts of muscles that have been neglected for years. So take it slow, no more than a couple hours the first day, and very slowly increase how much you're using them. If you plan on running, I'd say only run a quarter of a mile the first time you wear them. Seriously that little. Then maybe up to a half mile the next time, and after 2-3 weeks you should be up to a couple miles. I was used to 10 mile runs when I went out, and pushed my luck a bit too far in them because I thought I was hot stuff. Bad idea.

But anyways I had running injuries for years, I tried everything, and all to no avail. Till I got onboard this summer with the barefoot concept (i.e. fivefingers, as I'd rather not tread barefoot over broken glass or god knows what), and now for the first time I have been 100% running injury free. Plus, my calves have increased in size and strength faster than calf raises ever did for me, AND squatting and deadlifting are now 100% more enjoyable for me (granted I switched from running shoes, something I'm sure not many would have been using for those exercises). Also, I always used to get arch pain in my one foot if I walked around for more than a couple hours hours, and now that's gone too.

...That post got really long, sorry.

I sell FiveFingers in the gear shop I work at. They are so popular we can't even keep them in stock. I personally love them. We are going to be one of the first shops to have the new line coming out this fall, I can't wait.

Everything you said makes a lot of sense, Addai. I was interested in the idea of getting a pair, I got to the part about your calves. I must own a pair now!

Do you wear fingered socks with them, or are they designed to be worn on a bare foot? If they go on a bare foot, what do you do to clean them? They would get very stinky.

I sell FiveFingers in the gear shop I work at. They are so popular we can't even keep them in stock. I personally love them. We are going to be one of the first shops to have the new line coming out this fall, I can't wait.

Yeah, seems like everywhere has great difficulty keeping them in stock. Crazy popular.

Everything you said makes a lot of sense, Addai. I was interested in the idea of getting a pair, I got to the part about your calves. I must own a pair now!

Do you wear fingered socks with them, or are they designed to be worn on a bare foot? If they go on a bare foot, what do you do to clean them? They would get very stinky.

I wear them barefoot, though I plan to buy some Injinji socks (brand recommended by Vibram) eventually for them. I have heard that those socks work perfectly in the fivefingers, so if you plan on wearing socks in them you do not need to buy a size up so they'll fit right. Could be worth the investment, as a lot of people complain of cold toes as you no longer have the mitten effect going for you. I've been fine though. Depends the conditions you're going to use them in. For fall/spring hikes I'll definitely want socks. It also depends on what model you go for. The "Flow" model is much, much warmer than the KSO which basically does nothing for you heat wise.

Exactly, inches not shoe size. They have a fun little measuring thing at the one place I went to.

It's so weird that there's a thread about this today because I just decided I am SO getting some this weekend! I can't decided between the classic and the sprint though.

It all depends what you're going to use them for! I'd prefer the sprint, so that I could run and jump and do crazy stuff in them without fear of them falling off. Personally I'm outdoorsy so I also didn't want debris getting in so I went with the KSO, plus it looks more shoe-like so it should be passable in my gym.

Eventually I'd love to get a classic though. They're so nice and minimalist, they must feel great to walk around in the summer with.

I've heard a lot about runners getting injuries by not training up in those things properly. So I don't think I'll be rocking them any time soon. To me, it would be like running in my no support Chucky Ts, which I do sometimes, but I think Chuck Taylors are way cuter.

I wouldn't be discouraged by that, some runners are dumb. Many people have been injured in dead lifting, but that doesn't mean it's not an excellent exercise. In the barefoot world, running injuries are truly nonexistent, except by new people who get into it and don't take it seriously that it's going to take time to build up the muscles needed.

There was a fantastic book put out by a man named Christopher McDougall, called Born to Run. In it he talks about this tribe that lives in one of the most remote regions in North America, the Copper Canyons in Mexico. And everyone in this tribe runs distance, and they run barefoot or minimalist. When I say distance, I mean tens and sometimes hundreds of miles. They have records of one man who ran 450 miles without stopping. And this tribe has no instances of running injuries, nor any instances of heart disease, cancer, etc. They have guys in their 80's out there running. And it's all about barefoot. (They actually sent some Ultra Marathoners down there from the United States and elsewhere to race these guys, and half of the top 10 finishers were these tribal men).

I highly recommend giving this a listen, very interesting:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-august-18-2009/christopher-mcdougall

But the problem is people have wrecked the development of their feet and lower legs by wearing sneakers, so when they try to go barefoot, they tend to overdo it, get injured, and call it a bad idea. I saw one video of some crazy woman online who got the fivefingers, went out and ran 5 miles, wrecked her feet, toes bleeding, yadda yadda. The reality is that if you take it slow, and build up your strength, you're going to be in much better shape, you're going to avoid injuries, and if ever you want to run distance you'll be capable of going so much further. The human body evolved for distance; I've heard that in a long enough race a well trained human can outrun any land animal on earth, and I believe it.

But anyways, great for balancing properly while lifting.

Well right, if there is a problem with the way that people's feet, legs, and supporting muscles and tendons have developed... and there are reports of injuries because of the way running on those things impacts that, then it would be wise to ease into running in the new shoes. It is a matter of training, just like proper deadlift technique.

From what I understand, it's not really possible to heel-toe run in the vibrams, they force you to land on your forefoot. I would think that would require some preparation for distance running if you want to avoid injury.

Well right, if there is a problem with the way that people's feet, legs, and supporting muscles and tendons have developed... and there are reports of injuries because of the way running on those things impacts that, then it would be wise to ease into running in the new shoes. It is a matter of training, just like proper deadlift technique.

From what I understand, it's not really possible to heel-toe run in the vibrams, they force you to land on your forefoot. I would think that would require some preparation for distance running if you want to avoid injury.

It's absolutely possible and easy to run heel-toe in vibrams, but that would defeat the point of owning/running in them. The proper way to run, bio-mechanically speaking, is with a forefoot strike. People who run with a forefoot strike are capable of running FAR greater distances, injury free. Of course, it does take time to build up the strength to run with a forefoot strike. I suggested earlier that the first time you run in them you do no more than a quarter mile, and slowly increase your mileage. They've done studies where they'll have people run in sneakers, and they'll all run heel-toe. Then they ask them to run barefoot, with no instruction or explanation, and over 80% of people naturally run with a forefoot strike when barefoot. That's how you're supposed to run, how you were born to run. You can look up a hundred studies on this, videos, etc., and really look at the bio-mechanics yourself. When you run heel-toe you're bypassing your bodies natural system for shock absorption--so where does all that force with each footstep go? Knees, shins, hips. When you run with a forefoot strike your body does an amazing job of absorbing the force, dissipating it into the largest most powerful endurance muscles in your lower body.

I've tried hard, but I really can't run with a forefoot strike to save my life in sneakers (as they're specifically built for heel-toe). Vibrams are awesome in that they give you all the biomechanical advantages of being barefoot, while still giving some protection to your soles.

If you're in a race though, you should run heel-toe, as it's faster.

Addai - quick question

Just got em today. Tried them on. They feel snug on the big toe but the other toes feel fine. Is that normal and they were kinda hard to slip on for the first time.

First off, you want the tightest possible fit that is comfortable. If the fit isn't right, send them back for the right size.

And yes, they should have been difficult to put on the first time. It's usually quite amusing watching people trying them on for the first time. It just goes to further show how really weak your toes/feet are. They've been so used to living in a mitten-like shoe that they never developed properly to work independently.

After a week most people find they become easy to slip on, and certainly by two weeks you can slip them on as quickly as you would a slipper.

Yeah...after 2 days now they are becoming easier to slip on. The big toe does not feel as cramped but I figure if I go to the next size up my other toes are gonna be too loose so I am sticking with them. So far I like them alot they are extremely comfortable to walk in. And I am a huge fan of clerical errors and Vibram sent me an extra pair at no additional charge...so Woohoo!!